Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Kitless

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 12:44 PM
bryris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kitless

I recently finished my first kit, and I will be getting my next one this weekend. Since I am between kits for a few days, I get home from work/school and just wander around and stare at my empty building board with a sad look on my face. [][][][][][]

How do I solve the boredom?
Old 01-13-2005, 12:48 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default RE: Kitless

Get a set of plans and scratch build. I'm doing that with a Sig Kadet Jr. I have the plans and instructions from a kit I built years ago, so I figure it's time to build another one. Since they don't manufacture this kit anymore, it will probably be the only one on the flight line
Old 01-13-2005, 01:00 PM
Test005

I saw your LT-40 build, looks great!
What's your next kit?

While you wait you can;
-go fly your LT40
-organize your build table and work area so it's ready for action.
-stock up on more tools and gadgets
-Prepare everything for your new kit like buying servos, cables, covering, wheels etc...
-watch southpark on TV and drink a cold beer
Old 01-13-2005, 01:12 PM
bryris

HAHAHAHA....its all done. Except the Southpark and drink part. lol What time is that on? 11pm?

Next kit is a Goldberg Chipmunk. Is a gift from a guy at the field. Says he's never gonna build it, so he might as well give it to someone who will.....ME!!!

When I fly this weekend, I'll pick it up. I will probably start on Monday. That'll give me something to do until the summertime. There's this thing I have heard other students refer to, it's called something like....studdie? or studdy? I am not sure about that.

Anyways, as long as I've got a plane to build, I don't need to worry about that studdie thing.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:19 PM
briansommers
My Feedback: (2)

ok i have several suggestions

1. fly an r/c simulator (thats what im doing until i have the money to build/fly

2. design your own

3. buy a set of plans that are way to advanced for you and study the constuction process

these should keep you hummin' for a while
Old 01-13-2005, 07:57 PM
CafeenMan

any model can be improved. Look over your LT and make improvements. Cut off bolts and axles that are too long, chip out excess glue, iron down seams again, etc.

Get some scrap wood and make wheel pants?

Polish the landing gear or clean it and paint it. Paint a spiral on the spinner. Paint the propeller.

Did you pin the hinges?

Lots of stuff to do. Read everything you can about building techniques, etc. Go clean your tools. Work on your shop. That's a never ending process and always a lot to do there.

Bake some cookies.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:23 PM
robert92679

If you're anything like me, this will be a short-lived problem. I seem to find kits and plans I really like about twice as fast as I can build them. That means I buy about two projects for every one I have time to build! This, of course, can cause a whole new set of problems such as, "Which one next?", and "Where am I going to put this one?"

When you're wife asks about it, just explain that it's a collection like stamps or coins!
Old 01-14-2005, 12:13 AM
Daryl_y

Make and buy some tools is you have not already, find some aluminum "T" extrusion saw it up and make your self some sanding bars. Go look on Enco's web page, you can get some 1-2-3 blocks, mini angles plates, long scales a set of dial calipers very inexpensively Note: Enco stuff is not really good enough for use in a real machine shop but it is plenty good enough to make airplanes with. Go on to Microfastners web page and buy enough hardware to make about 20 planes with for about $60. Go an old leather coat?? if you do go buy yourself some lead shot and make some weight bags. If all else fails scrape up all the epoxy CA and whatever else got dripped on your work bench and repaint it
Old 01-14-2005, 11:05 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this problem once. I used the time to scratch build myself a set of floats for my LT-40.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:18 PM
rcdude37

you can always look through the forums on RCU!
watch south park! lol
Old 01-14-2005, 05:11 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, that would suck. I just bought another plane. I think its a disease. I had 55 before this one.

Start collecting now, you will always have one. I have 4 building right now. Get tired of one, work on the other.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:17 PM
briansommers
My Feedback: (2)

[:-][:-] 55???
OH MAN ! THATS JUST TO MANY
Old 01-14-2005, 06:46 PM
Deadeye

ORIGINAL: briansommers

[:-][:-] 55???
OH MAN ! THATS JUST TO MANY
Now, now. Let's not be harsh. That is only your opinion. I'm sure FLYBOY sees nothing wrong with that, and I can just about bet I'll be in a similar situation in 5 - 10 years. I've been flying for 2 1/2 years or so, and have 12 hanging already. THAT is pathetic! But a good kind of pathetic.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:18 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good time to do some tests of techniques you've read about. Make some fiberglass or resin parts. Drink beer. Make some test wing sections to try different coverings. Fly a sim. Rig up a test pull-pull system. Watch South Park. Make some of your own balsa ply. Try some vacuum forming and make a canopy.

Scott
Old 01-14-2005, 09:22 PM
rcdude37

saramos, you need "drink beer" after each one of them!.... lol
Old 01-15-2005, 09:05 AM
hookedonrc

I've got a Sig Hog Bipe in the box just waiting to be put together. I just can't stand it anymore either, so I am going to move the kit to the garage (where I have to build), heat up the area with my kerosene heater, and dive in. Of course, am planning to wait a couple of days for the balsa to become acclimated to the colder climate....oh, and me too.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:06 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Start planning your next color scheme
Old 01-18-2005, 07:59 PM
bryris

On the chipmunk, it is early and I might changemy mind. But I am thinking either the stock look or something that has a lot of blue in it. I did my last one in red. So I am ready for a change of color.