Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Extra 300s .40

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Great Planes Extra 300s .40

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 01:21 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Great Planes Extra 300s .40

Just wanted to share a couple pics of my rescently completed Great Planes Extra 300s .40 size kit. Won't be able to take this Plane out until spring, so I would be happy to hear any opinions about this Plane from those familiar with it. The Plane has a 52 Magnum 4 stroke installed on it with a 12X5 APC Prop. It is turning 10350RPM at a slightly rich setting. I don't suspect it will have very good verticle, and it will be a little underpowered for this Plane, but it should perform fairly scale-like. I've ran the engine on similar setups, and it is very dependable, and has never went deadstick. I will probally drop in a 72 Saito later down the road, but for its first flights I prefer to have an engine that is allready broke in good, and has never quit in flight.
The kit was a breeze to assemble, and was completed from start to finish in one weeks time. The covering used was UltraKote, and the stock tailwheel assembly was replaced with the Sullivan .40 size Tailwheel assembly. All the other hardware that came with the kit was used for this project. The pilot I used is a Williams Bros 1/6 Scale Pilot, and guide wires were installed to the Verticle, and horizontal tail surfaces to provide additional support. These two additions were not provided with kit. All in all it was a fun kit to build, and I look forward to many sucessful flights with it before its experation date.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33928.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	215060   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82736.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	215061  
Old 01-14-2005, 03:18 PM
CafeenMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Extra 300s .40

Nice job on the Extra. What's its all-up weight?
Old 01-14-2005, 06:08 PM
ckangaroo70

The final dry weight is 6lbs 1oz, but I do have a couple ounce of dead weight in the nose. I think I am going to try and get a better battery placement so I can shave this dead weight off to bring it in just under 6lbs. Great Planes says the weight should be in the 5.75 lb range, but Manufactures always are on the low side in my opinion. If I can keep the wing loading 25oz sq ft and under I will be happy enough. The low 20's would be better, but I don't think that is feasible at this point. Thanks for taking time to reply to my post.
ORIGINAL: CafeenMan

Nice job on the Extra. What's its all-up weight?
Old 01-14-2005, 08:40 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

You built it in a week??? From start (pieces) to finish (as is in the pics)??

I've got the ARF version with OS 46 and it flies GREAT.

It could use a bit more engine of course, but scale aerobatics it can do them all..

Nice looking plane...
Old 01-14-2005, 09:53 PM
ckangaroo70

Thanks for the compliments. The kit is a very easy kit to build. I actually had the Plane completely framed up in a couple days. The covering is what always slows me down to a crawl. After the Plane was covered I just spent a good day installing all the Harware, radio equipment, and engine. I balanced the Plane out on the C.G meter, and have set all the throws according to Manufacturers recommendations with my throw meter. The motor is allready broke in, so nothing left to do but wait for some good weather which I hope comes sooner than later. Are you using the O.S LA,SF, FX, or the AX on your Extra? The LA might be a tad underpowered, but all the others mentioned would pull the plane around good I would think.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:25 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

I've got the 46FX in it... I've been having bearing problems with that engine but that's another story...
The engine has enough power to fly scale type manuvers pretty well..
I'd just like to be able to get a bit more vertical out of the plane..
I flew it today and a guy complimented how well the plane flies, I think you will be quite happy with it.
Even low speed it's pretty well behaved, lands just a tad faster than a trainer..
Only thing I don't like about the plane is the ABS wheel pants, mine didn't last long I think 2 flying sessions before they were cracked and falling off...
That's some pretty amazing building to complete it in a week, I've been working on my CG ulitmate ARF for 2 weeks now... hehe...
Old 01-16-2005, 12:01 PM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Nice looking plane , that was my first extra and I loved it great flying airplane ,I ran a 61 FX in mine and never had one prob .One word of caution follow the elevator throws they recomend ,I had mine set up to high on the first flight ,I was wondering if it was going to be the last for a min.Mine was one of the first run designs and had the balsa spars,well I knew of the error and beefed up the wing but after 7-8 yrs of flying the beans out of it the wing finally did fail in a blender .*sighs* the end of a great little plane.
MY buddy has the arf version with a 52 Mag in it but he runs a 11x6-7 prop I believe seems to have plenty of power.I dont know what the plane weights but it should be close to what a kit is.Anyway let us know how the plane flies .Happy landings
Old 01-16-2005, 08:24 PM
ckangaroo70

Thanks for the nice comments about my Plane Richard. I have set the throws really low on the elevator, cause I have heard from others like you that say that they are really touchy. Out of 13 Planes I have, I have no two that fly alike. So I really appreciate the tips, and I always like to know what to prepare for before I take the Plane up.
Ray
Old 02-12-2005, 11:41 AM
Ontariomystic

I've been flying one since they first came out. Going on its 9th summer. Powered with an os 70 surpass and weighs 6lb 4oz, flies well and has over 300 flights.