Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

How Long Should I Wait Before Starting?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

How Long Should I Wait Before Starting?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 08:58 AM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How Long Should I Wait Before Starting?

I have a Sig Hog Bipe kit in an indoor closet and am getting the building itch again. This will be my second kit. I would like to start soon, but I seem to remember that it is recommended that you let the wood sit in its new envronment for a while before starting to build. I will be moving the kit from the indoor closet to the garage, where I build. The temperature difference is quite a bit this time of year, so I don't want to start till the balsa has a long enough time to adjust...or do I not need to worry about this at all?
Old 01-15-2005, 11:20 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: How Long Should I Wait Before Starting?

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about it, but giving it a few hours to reach room temperature wcouldn't hurt.
Dennis-
Old 01-15-2005, 12:06 PM
carrellh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The wood floor people on the TV home imporovement shows recommend leaving the boxes in their new environment for 24 hours before installation. That's a lot of dense wood packed very tightly. A box of balsa probably adjusts much faster.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:15 PM
tschuy
My Feedback: (1)

I'd let the kit sit horizontal for a day or two on your bench. Humidity is the big issue not temperature. Put some heat in that workshop of your's!!! When it's cold my fingers don't work as well. :-)
Old 01-15-2005, 01:01 PM
goboto

I second storing the wood flat horizontal. If it's standing on end, the wood will develop bows and twists naturally due to gravity. The wood was kiln dried by the manufacturer, I believe, so the only moisture in it will be from it's current environment. It is also thin and very porous, so it won't take very long to acclimatize to wherever you put it. I'd vote to pulling it out start building ASAP.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:45 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree, get the kit out of the closet and start building. Good Luck, Dave
Old 01-15-2005, 11:56 PM
CafeenMan

I talk about that a lot. I think it's important to climatize a kit to your workshop. But the whole kits moves as a unit so it shouldn't be much of a problem. I think if you open the box a day or two should be fine. If you buy new wood from the hobby shop, give it a couple days in your shop before you put it in a project that's been in your shop.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:30 AM
hookedonrc

Thanks for the feedback everyone. The kit has been sitting in the garage for about 24 hours now. However, the top temp for today is only supposed to be 31 degrees and is now 19 with a windchill of 9....soooo I guess the football playoffs will be on the agenda for today. BTW: goboto/tschuy - I have stored, and currently have the kit sitting horizontally, so all should be ok.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:39 AM
tschuy
My Feedback: (1)

Good deal....

Go get you one of the electric radiator heaters for your shop....Dang that's too cold.......
Old 01-16-2005, 09:53 AM
hookedonrc

Actually, I have a kerosene heater that does a pretty good job. It just takes quite a while to warm up the garage. I am planning to go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy several 4'X8' sheets of styrofoam and insulate my garage door. It is just the aluminum door without insulation now. I am sure that will help with the ability to keep the garage warm in the winter and will help to cool it in the summer. Boy...there are times I sure miss having a basement like we used to when I lived up north. Of course, I don't miss the leaks or sump pumps.