Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Engine for Sportser Bipe

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Engine for Sportser Bipe

Old 01-16-2005, 10:21 PM
boss351
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine for Sportser Bipe

I am re-covering a Sportser Bipe. I had been running it with a Magnum 52 2-stroke. Plenty of power for this plane. During the re-cover I will be able to play with the possibilities of mounting a different engine more easily. I would like a 4 stroke for this. Has anyone run one of these with a 4-stroke? I have a Saito 65 that may work with it but it seems to be be a lot heavier than the Magnum I was running.

Your experience with this fine plane and engine combos welcomed!

Thanks,

Adam
Old 01-17-2005, 01:30 AM
submikester

Default RE: Engine for Sportser Bipe

The .65 should be perfect.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:27 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How happy were you with the 52? I originally flew mine with an OS 40FP which had "enough" power, then stuck in a 46 LA.

The 65 might be too heavy.
Dennis-
Old 01-17-2005, 08:23 AM
boss351

I am thinking that in the re-cover maybe to locate the rudder and elevator servos further back to compensate for the weight increase. On paper (specs) the Saito is only a tad heavier than the Magnum+exhaust, wish I had a Magnum out of a plane right now to compare hand in hand.

The Saito will require pretty extensive modding (hole in firewall etc) but this is the chance. I'll try and figure it out over the week.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:02 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Planning on using an OS .40FSR when I get around to building mine. I seem to have a thing about using engines from the same time period as the kit although it kind of bit me in the ass when I put an OS .25FP in my Super Sportster 20. Should have gone ball bearinged.
Flies ok but could use more oomph. The MACS muffler helps.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:13 PM
boss351

I went out and got some motor mounts today, I am going to try and shoe-horn the 65 in without moving the firewall first, if I can I will move the rudder and elevator servos back in the fuselage. Something I would be happy doing anyway as in the current position they make a very large wire bend, this could be eliminated.