Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Hog Bipe Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Hog Bipe Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 10:19 AM
chashint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig Hog Bipe Build

Sorry to bump this thread back to the top; but after waiting out record setting rain in N. Texas, a less than stellar maiden attempt, and a small repair job resulting from that attempt ... the Hog Bipe was successfully flown.
All I can really say is ...
Old 07-31-2007, 10:38 AM
gumhead

oh... nice bump!

I almost forgot to post some in-air pics (thanks to my lovely girlfriend and her photographic skills)...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79738.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	703.9 KB
ID:	732999   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57216.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	590.9 KB
ID:	733000  
Old 07-31-2007, 02:25 PM
BipeLuver

OS 91, Fiberglass specialties Hog bipe cowl, and a 12 X 6 master aiscrew, btu I went back to an APC 2 blade for speed
Old 08-01-2007, 10:41 AM
[email protected]

for my $.02, up here in colorado (8500 ft) we fly a saito or o.s. 91 with a 14 x 8 master airscrew or apc simitar.
we don't have much "air" up here. been flying my hog bipe sincs 1999.
mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12747.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	733660  
Old 09-01-2007, 09:53 PM
RACJ

Just bought Sig Hog Bipe used. Its gonna need repairs. Before I fly would someone post CG and Throw rates for ele,rudd, and ailerons??? THANKS,RACJ
Old 09-02-2007, 09:13 AM
chashint

Straight from the manual.
CG: Measured from the leading edge of the top wing with the plane in the upright position.
25% - 3 5/8" Good place to start if this is your first biplane.
30% - 4 1/8" Better elevator response and quicker snaps.
35% - 4 5/8" Approach this CG with caution. Unexperienced pilots may find this to be to extreme for their ability.

Aileron:
5/8" up/down
Elevator:
3/4" up/down
Rudder:
1 1/4" left/right
Old 09-02-2007, 09:40 AM
RACJ

THANK YOU,I had to add triangle stock under stab and seep epoxy into horizontal stab so I can fly it next week. I will strip and recover this winter. THANKS again,RACJ
Old 09-02-2007, 10:31 AM
chashint

I would not set the CG farther back than 4" for the first few flights unless you are a very good flier.
Don't worry about adding weight to the nose if you need to, mine weighs just over 9 1/2 lbs dry and it flies very well. Of course lighter would be better but it is what it is.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:33 PM
RACJ

Flew my HOG for first time today. Flew great at 1/3 throttle(91 fourstroke) but any more throttle and it climbed like crazy,ran out of down ele trim. Now for newbie question. How do you balance a bipe?? Are cg #'s from leading edge of top or bottom wing. Do I balance upright or inverted?? THANKS,RACJ
Old 09-07-2007, 10:05 PM
chashint

ORIGINAL: RACJ

Flew my HOG for first time today. Flew great at 1/3 throttle(91 fourstroke) but any more throttle and it climbed like crazy,ran out of down ele trim. Now for newbie question. How do you balance a bipe?? Are cg #'s from leading edge of top or bottom wing. Do I balance upright or inverted?? THANKS,RACJ

You have to be kidding about the CG right ????

[quote] chashint
CG: Measured from the leading edge of the top wing with the plane in the upright position.
35% - 4 5/8" Approach this CG with caution. Unexperienced pilots may find this to be to extreme for their ability.

Aileron:
5/8" up/down
Elevator:
3/4" up/down
Rudder:
1 1/4" left/right
Old 09-07-2007, 11:40 PM
[email protected]

i ALWAYS balance mine with my fingers ???????????

placed under the top wing @ the main spar about 3 rib bays on each side of the center of the wing.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:37 AM
RACJ

Chasint,I got your numbers for CG but this is 2nd plane after trainer. I've never balanced bipe. I just need to know if I measure from leading edge of top wing or bottom wing and if I balance upright or inverted. THANKS,RACJ
Old 09-08-2007, 08:56 AM
gumhead

RAC all the info is in this post!

ORIGINAL: chashint

Aileron:
5/8" up/down
Elevator:
3/4" up/down
Rudder:
1 1/4" left/right
Old 09-08-2007, 09:07 AM
RACJ

OK,I'm a little slow.I got it now.THANKS
Old 09-08-2007, 08:09 PM
chashint

RACJ,
I was not intending to be mean or a smart alec when I replied initially, but when I look at my post I clearly see that I chose my words very poorly, sorry about that.
I am very glad that your flight was successful.
My plane was a climber on its second maiden flight, (the first maiden resulted in me putting it in almost immediately after take off and having to repair the plane) after the first attempt I moved the CG much closer to 3 5/8 (it was 4 1/8) and had a successful flight.
All of the down trim was used and the plane flew level up to 1/2 throttle then it would climb like crazy, after it was landed the elevator linkage was adjusted and with a little more down trim added on the next flight it became pretty consistant through out the throttle range.
I use my fingers to balance the plane too, the Great Planes CG machine won't fit between the wings. Find a rib so the covering does not have to support the weight of the plane. I put a piece of tape with the front edge at the desired CG so I can feel where I need to put my finger tips.
Good luck to you.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:13 PM
RACJ

Charlie,I knew you weren't being mean.I just copied the numbers that night then cleaned up as I flew about 5hrs that day. Friend helping me MAKES me put in stick time,I'm learning rolls,snaps and spins on a little Tribute 36 profile. He flew the HOG for me since I did repairs to it. We are thinking CG,or engine thrust or the repairs I made to horizontal stab. Your flight description is a big help,I'll startwith CG and check elevator linkage. When all you have put together is Alpha 40 trainer and TRIBUTE ARF I really have limited experience;in fact both of these balanced in CG range with no changes at all by me. THANKS for the help,Ressie Creech
Old 09-10-2007, 07:50 AM
ROOSTERLEW

ORIGINAL: RACJ

This post kinda old, but scares
me that you flew it, then asked about balancing.....That seems like asking for a disaster to me?
Old 09-10-2007, 07:55 AM
ROOSTERLEW

I like to measure out cg both axially and length wise and mark it on frame before installing radio gear, then insert a small hook and hang the plane from it. That way I can lay out radio gear and use them to balance plane as well as possible. Then I won't have to add as much weight to plane for balancing.
This is why you will see planes with a large radio box and everything 'stuffed' in one end of it.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:36 PM
RACJ

On my first post I said I got this plane this plane crashed and needed fixing. I didn't have advantage of setting it up. I should have thought about CG,but its first plane after RTF trainer and RTF aileron trainer. I have no building experience especially crash damage. I took plane to field to see if engine would run and tune it. Experienced pilot flew it and I'm glad he did as it brought up several issues to be addressed. I thought someone with this actual plane could help on climbing issue. Sorry to bother everyone,I'll see if I can find someone local with this plane.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:53 PM
chashint

RACJ,
You are not bothering anyone.
Its just that the CG is one of the most important items to be addressed.
The people you have helping you do not seem to be steering you in the right direction.
Anytime you make repairs, especially to the tail of an airplane you need to check the CG, the tail is normally the farthest point away from the CG and a little added weight here has to be offset by considerably more weight on the nose.
This plane has been involved in a crash bad enough to break the tail feathers, chances are the wing incidence on the top wing is shifted too or maybe the horizontal stabilizer is not straight.
Look carefully at the cabanes that bolt into the fuselage and the top wing ... it is hard to describe what it should look like but there are many pictures in this thread for you to look at.
Once again your more experienced real life helpers should be guiding you through all of this. If your buddies are just fliers instead of builders please consult someone else in person that understands how to check this stuff.
Good luck to you.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:07 PM
vmsguy

I was drooling (figuritively speaking of course) over this kit at the LHS yesterday....

From reading the thread, and looking at the box, it looks like it is still partially die cut, and partially laser cut.

Has anyone heard if/when it'll be all laser cut????

Old 09-11-2007, 12:51 PM
chashint

All of the pieces were cut very nicely and they all fit together correctly.
Don't wait, get one and build it.
The way kits are going these days it is much more likely to be discontinued than to be updated.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:50 PM
ROOSTERLEW

I by no means meant to say you were bothering , this is exactly why this entire forum exists, to teach those of us who are not yet experts( which includes me), and for the wise old learned ones to discuss ideas. I guess I should have stated that different, you really should balance any plane before you fly it, you never know what you are buying!

BTW, any more pics guy's, I am about to start rebuild on a Hog and need Ideas LOL.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:23 PM
cubfloater
My Feedback: (5)

Yes, get one and build it. Better yet get an Astro Hog first and build it. Then when you build the Hog Bipe you'll see lots of upgrades. Both are fun to build. I'm hoping to start my second Hog Bipe soon.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:14 PM
vmsguy

I know RCKen likes his 4-stroke power bird. He's got a 0.91 in his. What's the AUW of such a bird???

I'll probably get verbally lambasted for suggesting I may electrify mine.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.