Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Hog Bipe Build

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Hog Bipe Build

Old 09-12-2007, 08:14 AM
ROOSTERLEW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig Hog Bipe Build

Nothing wrong with electrics if thats your thing, I just already have the support equipment for glow and could build another plane for cost of electric support equipment.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:28 AM
gumhead

ORIGINAL: vmsguy

I know RCKen likes his 4-stroke power bird. He's got a 0.91 in his. What's the AUW of such a bird???

I'll probably get verbally lambasted for suggesting I may electrify mine.....

A hog bipe would make a great electric conversion! I would love to see it. Keep us posted if you end up doing it.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:59 AM
vmsguy

Friday is Payday... And the LHS is on the way home...... Hmmmm...

Here's a question..

The documentation at Tower suggests using high-torque servos for the rudder and the ailerons.

But I also know a builder can opt to use a single servo for the aileron, or a dual servo option.

So.. If one were to build it with the dual servo option for the ailerons, would one still need to high torque servos in this application, or would standard servos be OK???

TIA

Old 09-12-2007, 01:21 PM
gumhead

standard servos are fine imo
Old 09-12-2007, 01:41 PM
tstotts

As for torgue standard servos will work perfectly well for normal sport style of flying especially with dual servos which I tend to use in all my planes for individual trimming capabilities if for no other reason. If you are going to do any 3D type of flying you might want servos that will offer you more speed.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:44 PM
vmsguy

I stopped at the LHS tonight on the way home.

And now, I own a Sig Hog Bipe kit.

This is the first of these kits I've seen in the LHS since this spring. I figured I'd better get it while the getting is good.

It will be a while before I'm ready to build it. I need more building experience. My first build has yet to fly.

I also bought wheels, a Sullivan tail wheel assembly, and I may even have found a pilot!
Old 09-26-2007, 10:02 AM
jacobezzell

I have a .91 Saito I'm going to use in my bipe, and I'm trying to decide how to mount it. I want to have the muffler come out the bottom, so I know I have a few options. This would be my first inverted mount set up.

Any comments on:

1: mount inverted with stock muffler pointing "up," straight down?

2: mount upright with a slimline muffler

3: mount inverted with a slimline muffler inverted?

4: mount sideways with some other kind of muffler pointing down? (Not sure what I'd use here.)

Nothing is started yet, so if I have to move the tank around somehow, up or down, I can.

Thanks!

Here's what I have recently finished, Tigger in a Sig 4*60
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63036.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	770531  
Old 11-01-2007, 12:38 PM
r2champion

I realize that this thread is somewhat dated, however hopefully someone will help[]. I need to find out what the name of the aileron control horns that connect both top and bottom ailerons from each wing. They come with the Hog Bipe kit, but I broke one of mine. I cannot find them on Tower beause I don't know what to search for. They are the ones with the 2 holes for the pushrod addjustment and are made at a 90 degree angle verses a regular conrtrol horn. If you have built the Hog, I'm sure you know what I mean.

I maidened my hog on Monday evening. Everything went well. Just hoping to find a replacement part before the weekend????

Name:	Nl28584.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	794786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76073.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	794787  
Old 11-01-2007, 01:04 PM
chashint

http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...FV4.html?E+Sig

I don't know where else to get these.

Ok I just tried the embedded link and it does not take you to the right page.
On the left side of the page click 'Aircraft Accessories' then 'Control Linkage' then 'Control horns'
You will see it on the page.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:12 PM
r2champion

Thanks Chashint, I found them!
Old 11-02-2007, 05:03 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gorgous Hog you have R2Champion! I love the colors.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:12 PM
r2champion

Thanks 67Stang! I have seen pics of your Mustang, that is one sweet ride...heres mine. Its dirty, no mods, but I like it.

Name:	Ig13238.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	795455  
Old 12-14-2007, 09:08 PM
*JCB*
My Feedback: (9)

started building my Hog - I'm really excited for this one. I'm building the top wing first, then bottom wing, fuse, tail feather (in that order). Only "mods" planned are dual aileron servos and moving landing gear fwd about 1/2". I plan on throwing in a Saito 100 (if Santa pulls through for me!)

One question i had while reading through the manual was how to cover over the inter-wing strut mounts. It seems like it would be difficult to do a nice covering job with these installed. Have any of you permanently installed them AFTER your covering was compete?

wish me luck!

oh, BTW: I DO NOT plan on using the sig control rods for the elevator and rudder - see attached picture for length differences due to temperature change. I used them on my SSE and 4*60 and have to trim them every time I bring them out. I will be using 4-40 rods for these surfaces.

Name:	Sq48122.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	825715   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91057.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	825716   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kq36151.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	825717  
Old 12-14-2007, 10:30 PM
chashint

For what it is worth, I built mine with the landing gear in the "stock" location and I do not have any nose over issues flying off of a grass runway. The landing gear supplied is not symetrical, it has a front and a back side to it which will change the position of the wheels. I am not opposed to moving the landing gear block, it is easy to do and it will guarantee that nose over will not be a problem even if the landing gear is mounted backwards. Enjoy the build it should be very straight forward and the plane flies great.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:03 AM
[email protected]

jcb for my $.02 having built two hogs, please do not use the cheap 1/8 lite ply interwing anchor plates.
please fab your own from 1/4" (yes i said one quarter inch) hard ply and make them one half inch taller than stock to provide clearance for the "T" nuts to be pressed in and epoxied, 2 on each tab. you would also do well to fab your strut from 1/8 inch hard ply and cover each side w/ 3/32 hard balsa, then sand to round the edges front and rear. as for the 4 wing tabs, after installing to ribs, i used hand made 1/8 hard ply ribs here, you can lay a 3/8 x 1/8 strip along each side of each wing tab, so you have something to iron your covering to.
re the gear, please move it forward at least 1/2 inch and mount so straight edge is forward. mine works fine that way. these are just my opinion, but see below my planes have the year they were build on them.
mike

Name:	Hf99005.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	826885   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61877.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	826886  
Old 12-22-2007, 02:16 PM
rkliemann

I have been wondering if I wanted to use the supplied rods or do something different. I built an astro hog and used 4-40 rods glued to square balsa for length and that works okay on the astro hog, but the hog bipe, not quite sure I want to do that either. I am not looking to do crazy areobatics but I want to have fun flying and this is my first bipe. I am putting a Saito 91 in it and have the dual aileron servos but no other mods. My servos are at the plan suggestion so would I run 4-40 rod all the way to the rudder and elevator?

rkliemann
Old 12-23-2007, 01:01 PM
[email protected]

I USED NYRODS for both rudder and elevator.
where they exit the fues, out back, i soldered a slave rod to the rudder rod bent it down with a pair of 45,s and now have an independent adjustment for the tail wheel. i used a sullivan tailwheel and soldered an arm, aprox 1/4 wide x 14 gage with 1/16 dia holes drilled 1/8 in along the length. with a clevis on the rudder AND the tail wheel. both are independently, and infinately adjustable.
just an idea to consider,
mike
Old 12-23-2007, 01:27 PM
jacobezzell

would you be able to post a pic of this setup?
Old 12-24-2007, 09:45 AM
chashint

ORIGINAL: *JCB*
...text deleted...
One question i had while reading through the manual was how to cover over the inter-wing strut mounts. It seems like it would be difficult to do a nice covering job with these installed. Have any of you permanently installed them AFTER your covering was compete?
wish me luck!
..text deleted...
I asked the same question when I was building mine, painting the inner and outer struts seemed to be the way to go. Rough up the aluminum with sand paper and the paint will stick fine.
Oh yeah good luck
Old 04-30-2008, 08:08 PM
grimmy55

Hi all I to am converted to this Hog bipe I,ve build the top wing when it came of the board it got that twist in it so weigted it down and out with the ammonia trick and when it was right I replaced the trailing edge with a 1/4X 3/4 hard wood spar that certainly held it firm .I,ve also used a hard wood spar in the top spar in lieu of the balsa hopeing this will increase the over all strength of the wing , Question what do you think of the idea of using servos in the top wing also this is just a thought ?I figure it would then be less of a hassle hooking things up at airfeild ,all I have to do is plug it all in ,I,ll be running a 90 f.s
Old 05-01-2008, 09:14 AM
r2champion

ORIGINAL: grimmy55

Hi all I to am converted to this Hog bipe I,ve build the top wing when it came of the board it got that twist in it so weigted it down and out with the ammonia trick and when it was right I replaced the trailing edge with a 1/4X 3/4 hard wood spar that certainly held it firm .I,ve also used a hard wood spar in the top spar in lieu of the balsa hopeing this will increase the over all strength of the wing , Question what do you think of the idea of using servos in the top wing also this is just a thought ?I figure it would then be less of a hassle hooking things up at airfeild ,all I have to do is plug it all in ,I,ll be running a 90 f.s
Servos in the top wing would certainly be possible, but rather unecessary. The added weight would be the biggest reason for not doing so. Also, picture the following, a y-harness that controls your top wing aileron servos spanning between the fuselage and top wing dangling in the wind as you fly. You will most definately have to secure both ends to ensure the wind doesn't disconnect them. If you are concerned about set-up time, I find it hard to believe that plugging in the servo connectors and securing the wires will be more hassle than simply snapping 2 clevises. The most time consuming part of putting the plane together is screwing the nylon wing bolts and mounting the outer wing struts which you will have to do with or without servos in the top wing. I am not trying to discourage you, just shedding the light on the benefit of not going this route.

On a side note concerning the outer wing struts: if possible, leave the outer wing struts connected to the lower wing to and from the field. This way, when you get to the field, you will only have to install one screw per side, rather than 3. This will save you a few minutes every time you fly!
Old 05-01-2008, 05:22 PM
grimmy55

Thanks mate will take your advice is there anything else that I need to take note on at this stage of the build I,ve done the top wing (what do you think of the interwing attachment points i.e onto balsa ribs are they strong enough)just a point in New zealand these kits cost $295 so don,t want to stuff it up was thinking of getting one of Stans fibreglass R4cowls saw one on this blog somewhere and it looks real neat cheers mate
Old 05-02-2008, 09:20 AM
r2champion

ORIGINAL: grimmy55

Thanks mate will take your advice is there anything else that I need to take note on at this stage of the build I,ve done the top wing (what do you think of the interwing attachment points i.e onto balsa ribs are they strong enough)just a point in New zealand these kits cost $295 so don,t want to stuff it up was thinking of getting one of Stans fibreglass R4cowls saw one on this blog somewhere and it looks real neat cheers mate
The attachment points are fine considering that they also interlock with the wings spars. I would also recommend 30 minute epoxy to glue them in. In the event of a failure (crash [X(] ), I would imagine that the actual struts will rip out before the attachment points, so no problems with the stock setup. I'm gonna try a cowl the next time I build a Hog. I also seen the same thing as you about using the RV-4 cowl. I think it will work fine. Best of luck!
Old 07-23-2008, 05:23 AM
HugoW

Yeeeeee! I'm finally starting my build, which will differ a bit from the standard. I have the plans and manual, but I'll source and cut the material here in the Netherlands. The kit sets me back about US$200,- while the material will cost me US$ 30. Anyway, back to the plane. I've red a lot of this topic, thanks for all the helpfull hints. I'm just playing around with one idea, to make the plane more 'stunty'; make the lower wing flat as well, no V. I could just build it flat on the plans, and make the struts between the wings a bit longer. What are your ideas on that?

Thanks,

Hugo
Old 07-24-2008, 12:04 AM
HugoW

While studying the plans, I find it shows no side thrust. Do you all fly without side thrust? Mine will get the usual .91 fourstroke.

Cheers,

Hugo

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.