Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Balsa U.S.A. "Smoothie"

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Balsa U.S.A. "Smoothie"

Old 01-19-2005, 08:14 PM
TimC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Balsa U.S.A. "Smoothie"

I recently purchased a Smoothie kit. I've searched the web for pictures of the completed kit with no luck. If anyone has photos of their Smoothie, I'd sure appreciate them posting the pics. The kit comes in a plain cardboard box with no pictures on it. Thanks, Tim.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:06 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Balsa U.S.A. "Smoothie"

I built one many years ago.....all I remember is that it flew FAST, and I removed a grocery bag of balsa from the fuselage when building it!

Jerry

PS Sorry, no pics
Old 01-19-2005, 09:29 PM
TimC

What did you power your Smoothie with Jerry?
Old 01-19-2005, 09:49 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Fox 45 I believe - an man did that plane scoot! Very streamlined - and it did look (sortof) like the U-Control Smoothie. It was reviewed in RC Report...maybe you can see if they have the product review on file and send you a copy.

Jerry

[email protected]

is the email addy of the editor.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:08 PM
RCPilot100
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tim,

I built three or four of them. Real nice flier. The last one I built had no dihedral and had separate servos for each aileron. I used either a .40 or .46 OS SF in them. Either pulled the plane with authority. The club I was in back then used them for pylon racing - I would buy them 20 at a time for something like $30.00 each. While I don't have the kit anymore, I have a rib template and plans - and could built one if I had the time. Someday when I do have the time, it will get done. If I can find some time now, I'll scan some pictures in and post them.

Dan
Old 01-20-2005, 07:44 PM
TimC

Thanks for the info Dan. I emailed RC Report and asked about the article in their archives. Gordon L Banks replied that he couldn't locate the article. That might be a good idea to remove the dihedral and add seperate aileron servos.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:06 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Here is mine.

Fox .46 BB ABC. I had a problem with the wing and ailerons fluttering at speed with that engine. I put shear webs on both sides of the spars and also up against the rear sheeting and then I went with a servo on each aileron instead of using the torque rods. Every thing is fine now. Getting up over 90mph and it rolls 3 times a second (I have a lot of ailerons on high rate.) I also got rid of the chin in front and faired the front end into the wing better.

This is my 4th Smoothie in 20 years and I love the way it flies. I have 2 more still NIB for future needs. I have done very well with the Smoothie in "fly what'cha got" pylon races.

Don