Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

GP Ultra Sport 1000 engine question

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

GP Ultra Sport 1000 engine question

Old 01-21-2005, 11:39 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default GP Ultra Sport 1000 engine question

I have a question for anybody that has/had a Great Planes Ultra Sport 1000. I've had 3 Ultra Sport 60's (working on number 4 right now) and I think that these are just about the best flying planes ever made. I've got a 1000 size kit sitting on the shelf and I'm starting to think about putting it together. I have a YS 120 4-stroke that I'm thinking of putting on it. While reading the instructions it shows that 120 is the bottom of the engine size range for a 4-stroke. What is the opinion out there for this motor. I don't fly 3D (if I wanted to hover I'd fly a helicopter), but I do want power to be able to fly more than just basic aerobatics such as flying knife edge maneuvers and vertical maneuvers. I've had the YS 120 on a DP Ultimate (which unfortunately has gone to plane heaven) and I know it had plenty of power, so I'm hoping that motor will do justice to the Ultra Sport.

Looking forward to hearing from you all out there.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:02 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Default RE: GP Ultra Sport 1000 engine question

I have a US1000 (pic in my avatar) in it I had a YS 1.20 which is now in my ultimate... IMO it flies the plane well, not unlimited verticle but nice enough to go out and be a sunday sport plane. I took the YS out and put it in the ultimate and plan on putting the YS 140 in the US. It's the same size and everything just more power. Currently the US is down for restoration/recovering... I'm cleaning up a lot of my hurried building shortcuts and changing the color scheme to something more visible. So anyway to answer your question the 1.20 is enough* but your nowhere near overpowered.. it will knife edge and pull decent verticle.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:11 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: GP Ultra Sport 1000 engine question

camss69,
thanks, that's the kind of advice I'm looking for. I'm pretty sure about the motor/plane combo, but just want to hear others that back me up.

thanks again