Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

great planes extra 300 60

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

great planes extra 300 60

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 11:47 AM
bako

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default great planes extra 300 60

hello. I want to ask poeple about making the wing two piece, instead of 1 piece. anyone made it?
Old 02-19-2005, 12:24 PM
Rate1

Default RE: great planes extra 300 60

Not what i know of. Myself are building this kit, for the moment at the covering stage, and have done alot of reserch on this perticular kit here at RCU. Many, myself included, have done modifications to this bird but that is mostly bigger control surfaces on the tailfeathers and beefed up landing rails, where you mount the landing gear. Some have also done very ambitious weight reduction steps to this kit, mostly refering to CAPtain here at RCU. However I have not heard of anyone making a two piece wing as a modification. I guess it would increase the weight too much and after all it is not that big of a plane with its 64 inch span. I belive, considering the input from others that have this plane, that the primary goal is to keep this plane as light as possible if you want it to rock, prefereble under 8 lbs = 3,629 Kg.

Regards,

C.
Old 02-19-2005, 01:28 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have done one conversion, not for convenience but because it was the easy way to convert a high wing plane to mid wing.

If you are going to run zero dihedral it's easier, but it can still be done with a slight dihedral.

Install an aircraft plywood 1/8" (or a little thicker) on each wing root for reinforcement.

You'll have to make a boring jig to hold your cutter absolutely straight as it extends, and then locate the wing panels (and clamp them) in the correct position for the hole. If you file teeth in one end of your wing tube and set something up to turn it, the tube will work as a cutter. Bend the teeth outward slightly to make the holes large enough for the outer tube to enter. After both wing panels and the fuselage (if not the low wing version) are cut file the teeth off the end of the tube.

Before you glue anything in, do a dry fit of the wing panels to the fuselage, it's a lot easier to make corrections at this stage. When you're happy with the fit, glue it all together.

Now the anti-rotation pin. if you want to get fancy, adjustable mounts are available from several suppliers, or you can just drill through the fuselage to make the hole in one panel, take that one off and put the other on, run your drill through the other way for the second panel.

Bill.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:53 PM
bako

that's wery sipmple modification only for small birds. I think before gluing all ribs, u must drill about 3 ribs, reinforce them with thin ply and then install thin wall aluminum tube in first and last drilled rib than u must drill hole in fuse and glue the tube in fuse.
u have fuselage with tube and wings with holes. just apply wings on tube and then go.
but dunno how not to let wings go avay from fuse.