Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig 1/4scale C/W Cub build

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig 1/4scale C/W Cub build

Old 02-27-2005, 10:34 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Sig 1/4scale C/W Cub build

Hi Guys,
I shoudl have my kit in the next day or two and I am getting ready for the build. I decided to do what I could while waiting for the Kit and started building the dummy engine cylinders. I used the info at Cubmanky's site to build the cylinders http://www.geocities.com/cubmanky/main.html . The build was fairly easy and they turned out nice. I have them primered and they need a final painting in flat black. Here is a pic of the primed cylinders.
Later!!
Anthony
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12124.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	235881  
Old 02-28-2005, 01:50 AM
tubig

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Sig 1/4scale C/W Cub build

alright! looking forward to this.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:55 AM
Cub Man
My Feedback: (50)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good. I’m looking into having them in a laser cut kit.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:58 AM
WacoNut

Now you tell me
Anthony
ps. I made all the fins out of styrene I had on hand!!!
Old 02-28-2005, 05:14 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Those are gonna look really good. Of all the Cubs out there, no matter how good the scale, the engine is always the shortcoming when it comes to detail. I built mine (1/5 scale) from scratch, and used pictures I made of a full-size cub engine, took measurements with proportional calipers. It took about a week. I look forward to seeing how yours comes out, I have a BUSA 1/4 scale J-3 to build down the road, and the website you posted looks great, especially if he might have a laser cut kit for the engine soon.

Name:	Pn35273.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	236191   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42112.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	236192   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82240.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	236193  
Old 02-28-2005, 07:12 PM
WacoNut

I am happy with the way they turned out so far, the kit did not show up today so I am going to work on the exhaust and intake pieces for the engine and maybe the sparkplugs. I plan on trying to make a fiberglass crankcase that will fit over my R/C engine to attach the cylinders too, I may have to add a little more to the cylinders to make that work. I will also have to get my R/C engine 1st.
Unfortunately my dimmer/turn signal switch went out on my truck on the way home from work today and I will be spending some $$$$ I wasn't planning on and some time to get it fixed as well[:@] I will have to go in to work late tomorrow because I have no headlights
I did find a switch at a local auto parts place for $60 that I will pick up on the way to work tomorrow and I will stay after and fix it in a nice warm shop!!
On the build I will be following Cafeenman's tips on building a warren truss structure on the fuse and I will be using Elmers Carpenters glue for the majority of the construction. I will probably use CA for most of the wing construction and epoxy on the high stress area's as required.
I have a goal of having this plane in the air by June 1st, this still should be no problem with all the detail I plan on putting on the cub. I will be covering with Koverall and painting. I will be installing Robart 1/4 scale gear and a full cockpit. I will be trying my hand at rib stitching also. Now all I need id the kit too show up
Later!!!
Anthony
Old 03-01-2005, 07:35 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: WWIINUT

. I plan on trying to make a fiberglass crankcase that will fit over my R/C engine to attach the cylinders too,
I don't know how well you can see it in the picture, but I made cutouts in the cowl of my 1/5 scale such as the ones that fit around the cylinders on the full size, and then made a plate that fit inside the cowl that I mounted the cylinders to. You have to build up the back a little so the plates are parallel and the cylinders will follow the centerline of the plane. Does that make sense? Mounting them that way allows you to take the dummy engine and the cowl off as a single unit, and there's plenty of room inside the cowl for the engine, even in my smaller plane.

Name:	Nl28785.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	236765   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69790.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	236766  
Old 03-01-2005, 08:50 PM
WacoNut

Yes that makes sense!!!
That is probably what I will wind up doing. I will go the other route on my Zelitz 1/3 when I get to it.
My kit did not show up today[] I have been in the basement woking on the exhaust and intake pieces and they are almost finished. I have given them 3 coats of primer sanding between each coat and a coat of polyurethane. That should harden them up and make the final finish easier and smoother. I will post some pics tomorrow after the urethane is dry.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 03-02-2005, 07:07 PM
WacoNut

My kit has arrived
I have printed out Cubman's mod for the open door and window and I am getting ready to start building the fuse formers. MAN THIS IS A BUILDERS KIT!!! I framed a Ziroli Stuka in 9 days from scratch and I will be lucky to get that far with this bird in 9 days. You definitly have to think your way through this kit before you go cutting and gluing.
I am going to build the formes then start the fuselage truss sides tonight, with any luck I will have some pics to post tomorrow night.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 03-02-2005, 09:51 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My kit has arrived
MAN THIS IS A BUILDERS KIT!!! You definitly have to think your way through this kit before you go cutting and gluing.
Thats why mine still is not finished after 2 years of building! I have built a half a dozen other kits since I started this Cub. I look forward to the day that I finish it though. I will keep my eyes peeled on this post to see how yours comes along! Good Luck and enjoy!

Name:	Ki20298.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	237238  
Old 03-02-2005, 11:04 PM
WacoNut

ckangaroo70,
It looks like you have it right to the finish line, I'd like to see it when it's finished!!

I built one fuse side truss tonight I followed cafeenmans guidline and it turned out very nice, tomorrow night I will build the other half on top of the 1st. I am going to stop at the hobby shop tomorrow and pick up some new stick stock, some of the pieces in the kit are just too bowed to use. I will also need to pick up some wire for the open door mod.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 03-03-2005, 10:07 AM
Cub Man

What is cafeenmans guidline? I have looked at the Balsa USA kit and it’s also a builders kit like the SIG. All I can say is have fun!!!!!!!! I built mine on a 2 foot by 6 foot board on the kitchen table. I had no where else to put it. Now I have a garage/workshop and have started building cubs for people.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:55 AM
WacoNut

Cub Man,
Look at the top of the kit building forum main page, you will see a thread building a warren truss structure. He has some very good tips for helping with building the fuse.
I have a 3'x8' reinforced building table and a 7'x1.5' sheet of tempered glass on top of that to build on. I lay a piece of foam board down for pinning pieces for glueing when needed. It works out great. I will hopefully post some pics of my progress tonight.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 03-03-2005, 10:14 PM
WacoNut

Well I have the other fuse side framed and I will let it dry overnight before removing from the buildingboard. I have started sanding the pieces for the Stabilizer and I will start construction on that tomorrow and it can be drying while I sand the fuse sides and install the gussets.
I am stuck on what engine to use in this plane, I was going to use the Ryobi 31cc conversion but the engine is too long and will not fit[]. I am thinking about a Magnum 91 4-stroke, does anyone have any experience with this engine??? Tower has them for about $180. I really do not want to spend much more than that for an engine.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 03-04-2005, 08:28 AM
ckangaroo70

Right now Hobby People has the Magnum 91 4 stroke on sale for $149. That is an excellent price. I own both Saitos and Magnums, and the Magnum 4 strokes are a sweet running engine. I actually use Magnums on my Scale Planes cause I think they have a better scale sound, and I use the Saitos on my Aerobatic Planes cause they got that one of a kind Saito Sound, plus a little extra power. The Magnums are an extremely dependable engine, and the break-in process is much shorter than that of a Saito.

I have been leaning more towards usiing the Magnum 120 in my c/w 1/4 scale cub, but the 91 would probally fly it around scale like. With the Plane being a clipped wing, I do want mine to have enough power to do a few basic aerobatics, and this is why I would probally go for the 120.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:03 AM
Cub Man

I installed a G38 in my Cub. I had to move the firewall back about an inch and half
Old 03-04-2005, 10:17 AM
WacoNut

I would have had to move the F/W back at least 2 inches and to me that is just too far. I want a nice finished cockpit and that would put the fuel tank pack into the cockpit a good amount.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 03-05-2005, 07:46 PM
WacoNut

Well I am finally getting around to posting some pics,
I have the fuse sides framed,sanded and ply doubler installed, I cut the door opening and reinforced the door and the opening. I also installed 1/64 ply gussets at all the joints on the open framework. I have built the Stabilizer and the elevator and sanded the edges to size, I still need to radius all the edges.
My wife is gone shopping and I gave her a list of stick stock to pick up so I can reinforce the cabin area to account for the open door mod. She just called and they do not have the sizes I need so I told her to get a larger size and I will run it thru my table saw. I will try to complete the cabin area and finish up the fuse and move on to the wings tomorrow.

Name:	By76461.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	238557   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61429.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	238558   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90848.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	238559   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz73305.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	238560  
Old 03-05-2005, 08:14 PM
ckangaroo70

Looks like your comming right along. Looking good!
Old 03-05-2005, 08:18 PM
WacoNut

ORIGINAL: ckangaroo70

Looks like your comming right along. Looking good!
Thanks!!!
It feels good to be cutting balsa again
Anthony
Old 03-05-2005, 08:23 PM
WacoNut

By the way I almost forgot,
I shortened the door by .200" from the bottom side from what is shown on the plans, with scale hingeing this should allow the door to clear the wing stuts to the full open position. I guess we shall have to wait and see
Anthony
Old 03-05-2005, 09:29 PM
tubig

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

looks good anthony. wow, you can actually get your wife to buy your supplies for you? i'm impressed.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:12 PM
WacoNut

So am I
ORIGINAL: tubig

looks good anthony. wow, you can actually get your wife to buy your supplies for you? i'm impressed.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:14 AM
khodges

So am I
ORIGINAL: tubig

If I could figure out how to disguise airplane parts as "equine related artifacts", I could have a hangar the size of the Smithsonian by now[sm=lol.gif]. The Cub is looking good, Anthony, I like the way the structure looks, and I had also thought to gusset the joints with 1/64 ply on both my 1/4 Cub and Birddog (the birddog is former and longerons, but some lightweight bracing won't hurt a thing).I'm thinking that if you cut a small relief in the bottom of the doorsill and lay one arm of the door hinge in it, and pin it, and slot the bottom of the door at a bit of an angle so that the hinge pin is offset to the outside edge, the door will drop down against the outside of the fuse. You can then cover over the exposed hinge end on the doorsill to conceal them. I drew a sketch to illustrate, don't know how well it will show. The way my Sig instructions showed, the bottom of the door binds against the doorsill, and the hinge won't open far enough. This way avoids both. I also include pix of my 1/5 scale to show how unobstrusive the hinges are from outside, and the one showing the door opens demonstrates how far my door opens the way the Sig instructions show to do the hinges. The other thing to look at is a small rotatable bracket on the underside of the right wing that will allow you to hold the window hatch open, as on the full -size. I took a very small piece of aliminum ( about 4 x 8 mm) and bent it, and screwed it into the wing bottom at the spar, after I finished the covering and painted it.

Name:	Ur52272.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	238812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81184.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	238813   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11647.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	238814  
Old 03-06-2005, 11:34 AM
Cub Man

What I have come up for the door hinge that looks to scale is use two large Robart hinges. I drill the pin out so I can install a small 0-80 screws in them. I made a small jig that would allow me to drill at 45 deg into the door and fuselage. The hinges will need to be trimmed to length. I have yet to come up with a latch that I like for the window

[img][/img]
Attached Images   

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.