Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Best 1/4 scale Cub kit...in your opinion

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Best 1/4 scale Cub kit...in your opinion

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 08:10 PM
Gene Chernosky
My Feedback: (182)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best 1/4 scale Cub kit...in your opinion

I have a LNIB K&B .65 Sportster that I want to have a home for. I have heard it does well on a 1/4 scale Cub for a "Sunday afternoon flier" (easy goin'). I probably will clip the wings a bit similar to SIG's 86" w/s clipped wing kit. I like SIG kits but I'm sure there are others out there as good or possibly better.

Suggestions??
Old 03-04-2005, 08:09 AM
G McIntosh
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best 1/4 scale Cub kit...in your opinion

Gene; a K&B sportster in a 1/4 scale cub.. Not nearly enough engine.. maybe with a .91 four stroke IF its very very light. But you'll do far better with a 1.20 four stroke and up. I my self have the Sig 1/4 scale cub full wing, using a US-41 w/ master airscrew 18x8 classic. I'm at 19 lbs with a full detailed cockpit and two full body pilots in it.
A better choice would be the 1/5 scale Great Planes Cub ( their .60 sized cub ) using the K&B sportster engine..
Old 03-04-2005, 08:23 AM
LuvBipes
My Feedback: (4)

That 65 Sportster will do really well, just don't forget to hook-up the high-start on take off!

On mine, I went w/ a Saito 150.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:58 PM
Gene Chernosky

Evidently when someone said a 1/4 scale Cub and the K&B .65 Sportster would be a good match they were full of it.

The SIG clipped wing kit says it can take a .60-.90 two-stroke and I build very light...but strong. The bad thing is that the SIG page on this kit says it weighs 14-15 pounds...that's pretty hefty for a bushed .65 two stroker IMO.

Let me mull this one over a bit...
Old 03-04-2005, 08:12 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I am building the Sig 1/4 CW Cub and the manual says they test flew the prototype with .60 2 stroke and that the plane flew scale but you had to be careful not to stall the plane while climbing and that most people would consider the plane under powered.
Later!
Anthony
Old 03-04-2005, 08:14 PM
JCOKEEFE
My Feedback: (2)

[8D]I have built both the Sig and Balsa USA 1/4 scale Cub kits. I believe that the
BUSA kit is truer to scale. Ideally, either a 1.20 FS or 1.60 FS twin would be ideal
power for either kit version.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:30 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There used to be a Sig 1/4 CW cub at the field with the old style G23 engine. The one that turns a 16-8 @7000.

It seemed to fly just fine. It would do a lot more than a FW cub.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 03-05-2005, 08:47 AM
Daniel-EL
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: JCOKEEFE

[8D]I have built both the Sig and Balsa USA 1/4 scale Cub kits. I believe that the
BUSA kit is truer to scale. Ideally, either a 1.20 FS or 1.60 FS twin would be ideal
power for either kit version.
I am just about convinced to buy the Balsa USA 1/4 scale kit for my Saito 130 engine. This engine was in my GP60 cub, an "almost 1/4 scale" cub which actually weighed more than most 1/4 scales....heavy beast (see avatar). I was going to get the Sig clipped wing cub kit, but then read a review which said the parts must be cut out on your band saw. Forget that...I need something I can build without a lot of cut-outs. Balsa USA advertises their 1/4 scale cub as "completely re-designed" which is good news for me. I don't know if Sig has re-designed their clipped wing cub kit or not. BTW, the Saito 130, once broken in, was a real joy to fly. It sounded almost like a Harley and had plenty of power. Before break-in, it was a pain, so those with one of these engines - don't despair.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:47 AM
JCOKEEFE
My Feedback: (2)

[8D]I built the BUSA kit version of the 1/4 scale Cub about 4 years ago. It was a pretty good
kit. I don't think that I had to cut out any parts. In the Sig kit, the parts that need to be band
sawed or cut out with a #11 blade are the tail feathers. I recently built a Sig Space Walker II
and the tail feathers parts were also printed on balsa stock and had to be cut out. Sig claims
that if they hand sawed these parts, that it would add to the cost of the kit.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:34 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I am currently building the Sig 1/4 scale now and there are not many parts to be cut out and I would not let that stop you from building the kit, of course I am one of those guys that like building as much if not more than flying. The kit appears to be pretty straight forward and looks like an excellent design even though it is a bit outdated. It is definitly a builders kit.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 03-06-2005, 10:37 AM
Gene Chernosky

The GP .60 Cub looks somewhat more do-able than the SIG 1/4 with my K&B .65 Sportster. Its finished weight is 9.5-12 lbs. If I built things carefully, clipped the wingspan and used light radio gear...the engine is light, too...I'd bet it could go under 9 lbs...still a little chunky for a bushed .65 IMO.

All things considered I am also looking at the SIG Hog-Bipe...it looks even more do-able with the K&B .65 Sportster with weight figures of 7-8 lbs for the finished plane. I'm also thinking a bi-plane would be a bit more fun to fly than a Cub and look 'cooler'. ...the kit costs less, too.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:50 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the BUSA cub, 108" wingspan, a real floater. I'm using it right now to break in a couple of 100 Saitos, and they handle it just fine (in scale fashion) so I think your .65 would probably fly it. I'll probably stick a 1.20 fourstroke on it, when those 100's are broken in.

My flying friend has a HogBipe with a .60 on it, flies great.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 03-06-2005, 11:37 AM
Jollidude
My Feedback: (39)

One of the guys at our club has a Sig 1/4 scale Cub with an OS 91 four stroke. Even with the engine running slobbering rich during break-in it flew that Cub with no problems whatsoever. I don't recall what size prop he was running, but a four stroke will turn a bigger prop than a similar output two stroke, which is the main concern with a plane like a big Cub. The 60 will work great on a Hog! I've had my Hog Bipe for seven years now and run a Saito 91 on it.

Cheers!

Jollidude
Old 03-06-2005, 06:48 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gene Chernosky

The GP .60 Cub looks somewhat more do-able than the SIG 1/4 with my K&B .65 Sportster. Its finished weight is 9.5-12 lbs. If I built things carefully, clipped the wingspan and used light radio gear...the engine is light, too...I'd bet it could go under 9 lbs...still a little chunky for a bushed .65 IMO.

All things considered I am also looking at the SIG Hog-Bipe...it looks even more do-able with the K&B .65 Sportster with weight figures of 7-8 lbs for the finished plane. I'm also thinking a bi-plane would be a bit more fun to fly than a Cub and look 'cooler'. ...the kit costs less, too.
My 1/5 scale Cub weighs almost ten pounds. With it being full span, it's about the same as a 1/4 scale with clipped wings, except that the 1/4 scale will have more chord, and therefore more wing area and a lower wing loading. I use a .65 Saito turning a 14-6 prop and it flies great, much more than scale power. If you already have the engine, I think you'll be fine, although it DOES sound a bit small for a 1/4 scale plane.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:45 AM
Wulf
My Feedback: (5)

Hi this is a picture of my 1/4 Sig CP Cub.Saito 1.30 twin for power.MIP on-board glow driver.Covered in Ultra Kote and weighs 14.8 pounds.
The kit was fun to build.It is a builders kit but a great winter project,for me anyway-I am about to maiden this plane and will do so if the wind ever calms down here in Michigan-
Bottom line Have Fun!

Ron
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90584.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	1202960  
Old 05-21-2009, 10:20 AM
Sharpeye22

My very first plane. The one I learned RC on was a Sig 1/4 scale Cub. The first engine in it was anK&B 60. It flew just fine with me never getting into trouble due to stalls. Of course when it did stall it just mushed forward. As I got better and earned my wings I decided I need more power. I obtained a good K&B75 from a club member and installed it. With more power the plane did not fly any different. So Iforked out the big bucks and got an OS 108. Again a lot more power but the plane stil flew the same with only a bit more top speed. Now granted I did not have hardly any scale details on the plane. I never weighed it but it was probly within the weight specified. Being the first kit I built it probly had more glue than needed. Ilater gave the plane to the club to use as a trained with the K&B 75 in it as I moved on to more arebatic capable aircraft.
Sharpeye