Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Pull-Pull Wire source

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Pull-Pull Wire source

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 01:05 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Pull-Pull Wire source

I read on here at one point that a good source for pull-pull wires was the fishing department at Wal-Mart. What I read said to use nylon coated fishing leader wire, but apparently I didn't pay close enough attention because I had a hard time locating it. I looked at Wal-Mart and the longest leader I could find was about 18". Can anybody give me some more info on what exactly I am looking for. Does is come in a reel?? Name brand?? Can I get lengths longer than 18".

Thanks in advance for any help I can get on locating this.
Old 09-17-2002, 02:23 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never seen the bulk leader material in WalMart, but to be honest, I've never looked there. I have always bought my bulk leader, on a spool, from an actual fishing/tackle shop.
HTH,
John
Old 09-17-2002, 02:34 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found some at Bass Pro Shops. They have 18#, 27# and 40# nylon covered stainless steel cable. Perfect for pull-pull. Same stuff as you get in the DuBro kits. Wish I could get the crimps and riggers in bulk too....
Old 09-17-2002, 02:44 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

I've found the crimps in 20-30 piece bags next to the leader spools. The last time I bought some they were about $1.99 for the bag. The riggers are another story though. I'm still buying the Dubro package parts. I'm sure if someone were ambitious, they could locate the manufacturer of the riggers. I seriously doubt Dubro makes them in house.

John
Old 09-17-2002, 03:01 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

I found some crimps by the leader spools too... but they seemed too big for what I wanted... I like the ones that come with the DuBro Kit.... But when I run out of those or are re-rigging my pull-pull, I use some small diam. aluminum tubing. Works great.

I've seen bulk pack riggers from DuBro... but of cource they're not cheap... I'll check with DuBro for bulk riggers.
Old 09-17-2002, 03:07 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

The crimps available at the tackle shop come in several different sizes. I usually buy the crimp one size larger than neede so I can loop the loose end of the leader back through the crimp one more time. This is something I learned while sturgeon fishing many years ago to be sure you're leader didn't come apart when hauling in one of the big'uns

I have used bronz tubing when in a pinch, but I feel better using the steel crimps just for piece of mind.

John
Old 09-18-2002, 12:20 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Don's hobby sells a coated kevlar set up...that's totally non-conductive and stronger then steel it seems. I'm thinkning it runs around $15 or so for enough to equip a giant-scale. I know I did a 27% plane, and had ample left.
I bought more to do the flying wires too. The crimps shown here are nothing more then aluminum tubing crimped with electricians plyers. I'm going to show the flying wire set-up here. The pull pull is identical except the pull pull hardware is 4-40, the flying wires shown are 2-56. The cabling is same for both though.
I'm secure knowing there's absolutely no metallic anything in the whole set up, and what I hear is it's lighter and stronger then steel.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	26482_105.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	16572  
Old 09-18-2002, 02:40 PM
rickwallace45
My Feedback: (3)

Default Pull Pull materials - kevlar cord source

Aerospace Composites offers a great product- vinyl coated kevlar cord. I use .038 (.058 also available) for pull pull in my 12 lb planes w/ no problem - and after crimpling / knotting or whatever to secure the end, a little heat will fuse the vinyl jacket and prevent it from loosening.

(URL below for Kev_Cord description)
http://www.acp-composites.com/acp-cord.htm