Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Ailerons very stiff. Am I screwed?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Ailerons very stiff. Am I screwed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 11:05 AM
JasonWilliam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ailerons very stiff. Am I screwed?

Hi all. Well I'm nearing completion of my Fantasy build. Yesterday I installed the ailerons and I think something happened: I'm using CA hinges and the first hinge is very close to the control rods. I think some CA ran down the rod and into the balsa that encases the control rod. Now when I try to move the aileron I find it very hard to push back and forth, and they make a very loud squeaking sound.

I thought about drenching the thing in De-Solv but am concerned this will have other adverse effects. I'm really bummed about this as I just don't see a way to fix this type of oops. I think the effort required to push the rods back and forth will be too much for the HiTec HS-5475HB I've got slated for them. And the noise... yuk.

Any expert tips out there? Can anyone save me from this pit of dispair? Ok I'm not that upset about it... but you guys and gals know how it is. You get something so close to being done and then this happens...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79340.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	244733  
Old 03-16-2005, 11:24 AM
LuvBipes
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ailerons very stiff. Am I screwed?

If you subject the servos to that high a load, one of 2 things will happen: either your servos will fry which will result in a crash or the battery will drain down very quickly which will also result in a crash. Bite the bullet and fix it. Debonder is a good way to start, don't drench, use a little and try to work it loose. If it doesn't loosen up use a little more until you get there.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:45 AM
bbbair

It has been my experiance that you might as well go all the way the first time and get it over with. If not you'll end up trying little fixes all summer and not be happy with the end result, mess and effort.

If you are convinced that the problem is CA in the control rod, take a sharp Xato Knife and cut out the balsa around the Control Rod - remove the Rod if possible. Clean the rod of anything that is stuck to it and Apply a light coating of vasoline to the rod (now nothing will stick to it).

Now replace the Control Rod in the Wing, cut a piece of balsa to fill the gap created and glue it in place. Recover the area and you are good to go. A one evening fix!

If you want to hide this repair; do it on the bottom of the wing.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:19 PM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

I agree, you don't want to fly it in this condition (unless you simply disconnect the aileron servo, set the ailerons in fixed neutral position and fly with just three channels--not a problem if this is a high wing trainer with dihedral). It is not that big a deal to fix the difficulty. If they move at all, then it's not a lot of binding that you need to remove. The CA dissolver does not run very far, so just apply enough to loosen what's binding, give it some time and movement to work, and when things turn freely wipe off whatever dissolver still remains. If you have to cut and patch and re-cover, I've done that plenty of times.

I think I built two planes with aileron torque rods before concluding I hate them so bad, and have never used them again. From now on go with two servos in the wing. Control surfaces MUST turn freely.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:52 PM
CRFlyer

I agree this should be easy to fix, and must be fixed. I also agree with majortom-RCU in that it is much easier to work with dual aileron servo's than just one with torque rods.

I have never used the CA hinges, and I avoid them and most other standard type hinges for several reasons. One is the problem your encountering. I have used pinned hinges a few times, and have not had the problem your describing, as I take precautions to prevent the control surfaces from being glued stuck, but it is easier to do something different that eliminates the "Potential" problem.

I would suggest moving to dual aileron servos, each mounted about half way out on each wing half, and then using Iron on hinges that can easily be made using fabric covering. This would be an extremely easy fix, would solve the binding issues you are experiencing, and give you a no gap installation of your control surfaces.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:55 PM
JasonWilliam

Thanks guys. Interesting ideas.

Tom, CR: can you expand on your "no torque rod" setup? Maybe a picture? One thing I could do is just cut the rod from the aileron (see pic) and cut down the control portion also. I would then need to come up with some other way to control them. Sounds like your mod might do the trick? The only thing I'm a bit unclear on is the way to mount the hinge to the aileron.

Also, moving the servos down to the middle of the wing may work, but I would strongly prefer to keep them toward the center portion as that would require significantly less of a modification (I think).

Name:	Xv63840.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	244830  
Old 03-16-2005, 02:11 PM
CRFlyer

I don't have a picture handy, but the way to do this is as you suggest. Cut out the torque rods, then you will have to install servo mounts out on the wing. (usually on the underside of the wing). The servo arm is all that needs to extend from the bottom of the wing. connect a push rod to that running to your control horn on the aileron and your good to go.

There are several ways to make a servo mount in the wing, and the method will depend on the thickness of the wing, servo's being used, ect. On my super sportster, I just rigged up some mounting rails alongside the main spar positioned so the servo arm would just extend pas the covering on the underside of the wing. With this method, there was no hatch, so if you needed to get at the servo for some reason, I have to cut the covering. Another method is to create a hatch and mount the servo to that, and while not difficult, takes a bit more time to create. The sig four star 60 uses the hatch method. I could not find a link to an instruction manual that describes the teqnique. There are several other kits that use a simular type of setup. In fact there is a company (jb access panels) that make the panels for you if you want. Go to http://www.jbaccesspanels.com/productinfo.php for more information on them.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:59 PM
campbec

Hi Jason,

Try heating the rod with a small gas torch or large soldering iron whilst working the rod back and forth. You might like to hold the rod with vice grips or similar when it gets hot. Once the rod has reached a temp that will sear unprotected flesh the rod will operate freely.

I haven't used a single servo for years on ailerons as I performed your oops too

Cheers,

Colin
Old 03-16-2005, 05:38 PM
JasonWilliam

Colin, that did it! I'm so geeked!

I took my soldering iron and stuck in thru the wing bolt holes (the control rod is exposed there). The thing heated up and within seconds a noxious plume of smoke began to rise. There was far more CA on there than I expected. Now, after cooling the ailerons move completely freely. It was a five minute fix. Thanks so much!

I can tell you, though, this will be the last time I build a single aileron setup. All in all a very cheep lessoned learned. Thanks everyone, and Colin, you're the man!!

-JW
Old 03-18-2005, 10:19 AM
bluestratos

Good thinking campbec, we have all had that problem.

Again, Kudos,

Randy
Old 03-18-2005, 10:44 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In the future, don't discard the torque rod setup, just smear some vaseline into the tube before gluing it in so that glue can't get in there
Old 03-18-2005, 11:25 AM
JasonWilliam

Well after a couple days of settle time, the ailerons do move freely now, but they squeek like crazy. My first thought was to put a glob of vaseline on the rod and heat it back up. The thought is the vaseline will liquify and draw accross the rod into those areas I cant get at directly, kind of like solder does. I really dont think vaseline is going to draw that well though.

A second thought I've got is to use a graphite spray (if something like that exists). Spray it pretty well, and let it dry. My concern there, though it I'll be weakening the balsa.

Any thoughts on this?
Old 03-18-2005, 11:35 AM
RCBOZO
My Feedback: (1)

Graphite spray = Lock De-Icer I have now clue about what it will or wont do to the balsa. Good luck !
Old 03-18-2005, 02:27 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Graphite won't do anything to the balsa - just make it(and your covering) really messy. I would try a SMALL amount of vaseline down in the tubes for the torque rods. It will liquify with heat, so there should be no problem getting it in there.

Why concerned about the noise? You won't be able to hear it with the engine running, and as long as the control surface isn't stuck anymore, shouldn't affect anything.

Or - you could just paint the whole thing pink, and say it's "oinking"...
Old 03-18-2005, 02:36 PM
JasonWilliam

Good point cwrr5.

Here is a pic as she lifted off during her maiden flight. She doesn't roll very well, but man she sizzles

Name:	Us55139.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	245667  
Old 03-18-2005, 04:14 PM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

Can you send that to me in poster size!? I've flown that model a lot!