Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Build the kit... what next?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Build the kit... what next?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 01:21 PM
geid15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build the kit... what next?

So I build the plane from a kit, what next? Lets say all I have is a Futuba 6ch. radio. I know I need servos for the ailerons, rudder, elivator, but what do you get for throttle and what are the units that the radio communicates with? What are all the parts you need to put in the plane to work with lets say my Futuba 6aex radio for example? Just am trying to get guided in a direction of what you need to get flying! Im learning here! Any help or websites would be appriciated! You have all been awesome, thanks.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:48 PM
rkrider

Default RE: Build the kit... what next?

I assume you haven't built the kit yet. Most of the trainer kits documentation will answer your'e questions. Sig used to include a Radio Control supplement with their kits. It's a little dated, but provides some good info. If you have a hobby shop near you, look for "Flight Training Course" by RCM productions. Last but not least, seek out the "vets" at your'e flying field. Most are happy to help newcomers.
Good Luck
Old 03-18-2005, 02:07 PM
kiswa
My Feedback: (4)

And to answer the basic questions: you'll need an engine, fuel tank, servos, a receiver, and a battery for the electronics. Those items all end up in the aircraft after the airframe is constructed. One of those servos will control the throttle.

The item that communicates with the transmitter (radio) is the receiver (it takes commands from the transmitter and sends them to the appropriate servo). Oh yeah, generally you'll have four servos; one each for throttle, rudder/wheel, elevator, and ailerons. Occasionally you'll have two for the ailerons (one per wing half), but they'll still usually only use one channel on the receiver.

Hope that helped somewhat.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:14 PM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

BTW, Transmitter, Reciever, Battery pack, switch harness, servos and charger all usually come as a single package.

In other words, if you buy a Futaba 6aex from Tower or your LHS, it SHOULD have everything you need to get started.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:27 PM
kiswa

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

BTW, Transmitter, Reciever, Battery pack, switch harness, servos and charger all usually come as a single package.

In other words, if you buy a Futaba 6aex from Tower or your LHS, it SHOULD have everything you need to get started.
Good point, I should have mentioned that.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:55 PM
geid15

Well then what is a "speed controller" if I am building an electric plane? Also do you need something special for a brushless motor or does it work with the same things as a nomral motor does?
Old 03-18-2005, 03:04 PM
jagnweiner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Electric planes use speed control (ESC) rather than servos for the throttle. It still plugs into your receiver. Brushless motors and brushed motors each require a different type of speed control.

-Scott
Old 03-19-2005, 04:32 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

You need a receiver with a crystal on the same frequency (channel) as your transmitter.
Servos for all the control surfaces including the throttle.
A flight battery, generally a 4 cell nicad of around 700mAh capacity or so.
A switch harness which allows connection of the battery to the receiver, ability to turn the power on and off and a lead to connect to the charger.
Depending on the plane you may need extension leads for the servos or possibly a "Y" harness for the aileron servos.

I strongly suggest finding the local RC club and seeing about getting help from somebody there.

From personal experience I can tell you that trying it cold on your own is not a good idea.[:-]
An experienced flyer will spot something done incorrectly that you might miss but will be obvious to an experienced flyer/builder.