Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Who makes the best sealing iron?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Who makes the best sealing iron?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 06:24 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've used my Coverite 21stC iron for about 20 years now. My only complaint is the temp control dial moves with the slightest touch, so I am constantly having to check it because a little bump will throw off my temperature. It would be great if there were a ratchet or some kind of friction device to keep it from moving so easily.

I also use the Coverite bi-metalic coil thermometer that you can sit on top to get an accurate temp. I use the wire stand that comes with it so you can flip it over and set it down anywhere without worrying about the heat.

Jim
Old 12-29-2016, 06:31 AM
orthobird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

thank you Jim, do you use a sock?
Old 12-29-2016, 08:56 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a large drawer full of every kind of covering iron. Even a couple of old clothes irons I have used on occasion. The thermostat in the coverite iron holds the best temp and it’s the best as far as repeatability each use. That being said ambient temperature and humidity can affect the settings compared to last time. Most important is the irons ability to hold a given temperature on a given day.

I do not use the bi-metal coverite thermostat to set temp instead I have several candy thermometers. I fold up a lint free cotton cloth to form a pad and place the candy thermometer in the center. I place and prop the iron up so the heating surface is in full contact with the thermometer. If an irons temperature fluctuates to much or often I discard it. Cheap or expensive it doesn’t seem to mater some will regulate the temperature well enough to use some will not.

Shape is important as is sharp edges and edges less then 90 degrees to get in those tight corners. Different shaped pointed tips can make the job easier as well. I have yet to find the perfect one of iron.

Most of my covering jobs are with Stits Polyfabric so different temperatures for forming and shaping as well as shrinking in stages are required. It’s not unusual to have a half a dozen irons set up with candy thermometers and at different temperatures.

I have old old no name brand irons I picked up for a couple of bucks at a swap meet that work and hold temp every bit as good as any of the 3 coverite ones I own. Check and calibrate your iron and don’t worry how much you paid for it or the brand. I have a couple of the Hanger nine irons and they work just fine as does a bunch of old Monokote irons picked up at garage sales.

My experience has been the biggest detriment to an iron is dropping it on a hard surface or rough handling like tossing it in a drawer when finished with it.

Dennis
Old 12-29-2016, 11:51 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ortho, I don't use a sock, and have had no peeling. But sometimes I will see some marks on the plastic, so I really should use a sock.

Also, this got me curious so I looked up some irons and realized my version of the Coverite iron has not been around for a long time.
Old 12-20-2021, 05:28 AM
j.hagan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay I’m in the market for a new sealing iron I used to have the hanger 9 and didn’t really like that due to the temperature knob moves really easy. I looked into the coverite 21st century sealing iron that one is no longer available so whats the new greatest one out now.
Old 11-25-2022, 03:52 PM
sailr
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default best covering iron

I prefer the coverite iron. It is more regulatable!