Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Kinda stupid question....maybe....

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Kinda stupid question....maybe....

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 08:05 PM
wraith0078
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kinda stupid question....maybe....

Okay, I'm a noob, switching over from cars and I've got what may be stupid question.

In all the pictures I've seen of various peoples' planes, I haven't seen an air filter on any of their engines. Do planes just not use them? [sm=surprised.gif]
Old 03-28-2005, 08:13 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Kinda stupid question....maybe....

Naaah. Dirt's heavier than air, if you don't run the engine with the plane on the ground much, you'll be in a pretty dirt-free environment.

If the thought of taxiing without a filter bothers you, by all means throw a filter on it.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 03-28-2005, 08:17 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Usually air filters are not needed on Planes, unless you live in a place that is very dusty or sandy. Basically if you are flying off good clean grass, or pavement, then you probally don't need one. If you are flying off dirt, or sand then it is probally a must to prevent your engine from wearing out prematurely due to dirt or sand entering the engine. I do see a few guys that use them that fly off nice grass or pavement just because they are real particular about thier engines, but the majority that fly off a good clean runway don't use them. So it really has alot to do with where you live to whether you will need a filter or not.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:21 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

At the moment I have A very nice YS engine that I ran off the runway through some gopher mounds of sand that now needs A new crank and bearings. This is A big first for me but things do happen. I run an air cleaner on all my engines in planes I fly off of rough fields and it's A very good idea. After A good day of flying the filters are full of seeds and assorted grit that would have otherwise been sucked into the engine. When the YS gets out of the shop it too will have one stuck on it. Live and learn! Nuff Said.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:24 PM
JC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know air filters are made for plane engines, but I have never seen any RC pilots use them. If you think about it, an airplane, as opposed to a car, is on the ground for a very short time when the engine is running. And anyway, we would never think of taking off or landing in the same sandy loose dirt that the cars are run in. Then, we would be asking for a carb full of grit. Most of our flying is done from grass fields or paved runways. I hope I've answered you question correctly. I'm sure some of the other fellows will come up with more reasons why planes hardly use air filters.

JC