Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Smith Mini Plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Smith Mini Plane?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2002, 12:48 AM
drlsgt7
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Smith Mini Plane?

Just started a Sig Smith Mini Plane last night. I was wondering if any one had any in put on building it, changes or modifications. Also what would be a good size four stroke to power it.
Old 09-25-2002, 01:02 AM
bpannier

Have one about 15 years old, silk and dope. motor OS 48 surpass would be better with a 52 as lacks power but both very old. Kraft Radio....
Old 09-25-2002, 02:44 AM
Norm Nestie

An Os 52Surpass is a good size. The plane was an ok build but when I get around to rebuilding the lower wing I will do something different as to how the N struts plug into it. The way the plan has you do it is very weak. If anyone out ther has any suggestions on how to strengthen this point I think we would all bebnefit. Otherwise, I thibnk you'll love this little bipe.
Old 09-25-2002, 11:46 AM
jharkin
My Feedback: (2)

I am considering building the same kit to use the Magnum .52 4S I've got in a trainer right now. While surfing the web I found the following site that you might be interested in:

Smith-Mini Biplane Project

The author discusses how he built one and gives lots of tips that I found interesting (especially the tip to replace the built up struts with airfoil section aluminum tubing)

Good luck,
Jeremy
Old 09-25-2002, 12:03 PM
bipeaddict

I have this kit framed up. I did the following modifications:

A servo for each aileron
Shear web on each wing
Carbon Fiber Landing gear from Moose carbon fiber
Servo in the tail for elevator control
Servo and access hatch midway between the cockpit and the tail for a pull-pull rudder installation
Fiberglass cowl

I have installed a RCV 60 engine. This will swing a scale like 3 bladed prop. The engine is 5 oz heavier that an OS 46. That is why I started putting servos in the tail. I also went with JR DS 368 servos to compensate for the excess engine weight.
Old 10-03-2002, 05:02 PM
scott hayden

Default Mini Plane Cowl

Hi Folks,

Will a Smith Mini plane cowl fit on a Hog Bipe? Can someone provide me the dimensions of the Smith Mini Plane cowl.

Thanks

Scott
Old 10-03-2002, 07:15 PM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Mini

I had one in the early 80's it was an ok plane. I had big problems with Incidence angles. I set this plane up on a pool table leveled everything up and set all the wing angles. I did a scale paint job over supercoverite powered with a OS .40 FSR. I flew this plane in numerous scale events.
On my first and almost last flight i had to hold almost full down to keep the plane from pitching up onto its back. Despite reverifing the incidece angles the plane wasn't controlable in this set up.
I put a 1/4 shim under the back pad of the upper cabaine strut and abjusted the N struts as well. Then I flew with about 1/4 inch down elevator and it flew fine. I sold the plane to another guy and he flew it several years before it wore out. We never did figure out what i had done to require the adjustments but after that it flew fine. Yes it balanced correctly through all of this. I think I had a few OZ of nose weight as well.
Sparky
Old 10-03-2002, 11:35 PM
mwright
My Feedback: (5)

Default same question

Scott,
Excellent question, I'd love to know. I know the Sig Mini Plane cowl fits the 4*60 with a little rounding of the front end and some sheet balsa. I too suspect the same may be true for the Hog.

Marcus
Old 10-04-2002, 10:13 AM
Leo

Default Mini Plane cowl dimensions

My Sig Miniplane cowl inside dimensions are about 4 3/8"W X 5" at the firewall location

/Leo
Old 10-04-2002, 11:32 AM
bipeaddict

Scott,

On the left is a fiberglass specialities cowl for the smith miniplane. On the right is a fiberglass specialities cowl for the hog bipe. The dimensions on the hog bipe cowl are 4 1/4" width by 5 5/8" height.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	28792_4392.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	17135  
Old 10-04-2002, 11:38 AM
bipeaddict

Scott,

Here is the profile of the Hog Bipe Cowl by Fiberglass Specialities.

Jim

Name:	28793_4392.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	17136  
Old 10-04-2002, 12:12 PM
mwright
My Feedback: (5)

Default good info

Hummmm.... Looks like buying the Hog Bipe Cowl by Fiberglass Specialities is a better way to go.

Marcus
Old 10-04-2002, 12:55 PM
scott hayden

Default Cowl for Hog Bipe

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all of the great information. I really like the looks of the Smith Mini Plane cowl verses the hog cowl by fiberglass specialties so that is why I was inquiring if the Mini Plane cowl could be utilized on a Hog.

I am going to try to use the mini plane cowl. I will let everyone know how it turns out.

Thanks

Scott
Old 10-07-2002, 11:59 PM
warbird2
My Feedback: (8)

I just built a Smith Miniplane, and I am covering it, per box cover.
Power is OS 40SF ( I hade one NIB).
My only modification was to replace the wood pushrods for the tail with sleeved 4-40 rods, a la TF style.with a crossover in the middle to keep them straight ( small plane)
I love that little plane, it has "character"
I paid a lot of attention to the wing incidence on the cabane. Otherwise, an easy kit to build - lot of stick work - and have a good soldering iron.
Looking forward to see it in the air.

Ray
Old 10-21-2002, 11:54 PM
drlsgt7
My Feedback: (1)

Default mini plane

Thanks for all the info, but i have one more ? Im putting an OS 52 four stroke in the plane. Just wondering if anyone had to cut the cowl to make it fit. Iv got it side mounted and it appears i have to put a hole in the side of the cowl to make it fit. Is it the same with a two sroke.
Old 10-22-2002, 12:55 AM
scott hayden

Default Re: Cowl for Hog Bipe

Originally posted by scott hayden
Hi Folks,

Thanks for all of the great information. I really like the looks of the Smith Mini Plane cowl verses the hog cowl by fiberglass specialties so that is why I was inquiring if the Mini Plane cowl could be utilized on a Hog.

I am going to try to use the mini plane cowl. I will let everyone know how it turns out.

Thanks

Scott
Hi Folks,

I have received my Smith Mini Plane cowl and it will fit the Hog Bipe with modifications. I will post pictures within the next month.

Scott
Old 10-31-2002, 10:05 PM
JediJawa

Scott,

I am just finishing my Smith, I am covering it in a "Superman" scheme with the red S and everything

As far as engines go, I put a YS63 Four Stroke in it mounted upside down. I don't know of any others that would run well this way but a Surp' might. The YS pressurized system just seems to run well at any angle. I only hade to make a small cutout through the lower air intake vent on the stock Smith ABS cowell to accomodate the engine. I rigged a "pitts" style muffler in there sideways and the exhaust comes out almost right where it should according to the full size machine.

MODS:

I too, added dual ailerons on the main wing.

I also doweled the wing bolt lugs to the side of the fuse with hardwood dowells, I just didn't like a surface glue only there.

I also fiberglassed the lading gear strips and Z bracket stips acrossed both sides of the wire rather than just using epoxy to fill the gap. It allowed me to make it much stonger and easier to finish.

I used the Du-Bro pinned hinges rather than the Sig ones it comes with.

I beefed up the areas where the hinges go through on the vertical stab and rudder. I also made the rudder about 3/4 inch longer than the plans indicate.

I did add shear webbing to the main wings. And I added to 1/4 inch hardwood spares one in front of and one behind the servo bucket area on the bottom wing, they go out to the end of the full wing sheeting.

I made a fuel tank saddle for a Hayes 10 oz. tank so I don' t have to pad it so much in there.

I used a scale tail wheel steering assembly instead of the supplied one.

I am very excited about putting this little guy in the air. I think I will be able to transport it without taking it apart, cool. It should climb very well with that engine and an 11x8 prop.

Good Luck!
Adam
Old 11-04-2002, 09:17 PM
jharkin

I've got a question for anyone who has flown the smith...

I was talking to my club's chief instructor the other day. He mentioned to me helping out another member of our club who had a miniplane. He said that the thing was very unstable and nearly impossible to control. A "real hand-full" was his exact words. This seems similar to elmshoots experiences. Is this typical? Has anyone else found this plane to be a hand-full?

Thanks,
Jeremy
Old 11-05-2002, 02:02 AM
bipeaddict

I haven't flown the plane.

However, Harry Higley in his book "Bipes" had the bottom wing set at 0 incidence and the top wing set at -1. This seems to take care of the ballooning recognized by Harry and referred to by elmshoots.

I currently have mine setup up for 0 and 0 as called for in the plans. I used robart incidence meters for the set up.

The small bipes can be sensitive. I am currently flying a DP 40 ultimate. It takes very little aileron to make the plane move. You ought to see it roll with full throws. I really enjoy this plane and I have been flying for a year.

I look forward to getting my Smith in the air.
Old 11-06-2002, 04:16 AM
Norm Nestie

The limited experience that I had flying my Smith was really good. Very stable , easy to land. What got me was the torque roll to the left on take off. I just wasn,t feeding in any right rudder to overcome this tendency. I've now rebuilt the lower wing and look forward to next spring.
Old 11-16-2002, 12:48 AM
Dr. Wine

My mini plane is still in the box. Need to finish too other planes first. As far as stiffening the "N" struts, I plan to replace them with some plywood "I" struts instead. I saw a REAL mini plane with this modification. I just fear someone will walk by at the air field and say "nice Pitts".

I am going to install an O.S. Wankel .30, unless someone tells me not to. Has anyone used this engine in a mini plane? What can you tell me? My reason for using this engine, well, because I have it NIB and the whole thing, including the stock muffler, seams to fit inside the cowl without chopping it up. My only concern is the size of the tank. This engine, at full throttle, burns 1.5 to 2 oz. per minute.

Good luck,

Dr. Wine
Old 11-16-2002, 01:27 AM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by jharkin
I've got a question for anyone who has flown the smith...

I was talking to my club's chief instructor the other day. He mentioned to me helping out another member of our club who had a miniplane. He said that the thing was very unstable and nearly impossible to control. A "real hand-full" was his exact words. This seems similar to elmshoots experiences. Is this typical? Has anyone else found this plane to be a hand-full?

Thanks,
Jeremy
I had 2. One was covered in Coverite and painted and the second one was monokoted. The monokoted version came in 6 oz lighter because I didn't have to stick so much lead in the front. The first one was powered with an OS .50FSR and the second was with an Enya .45.

Both were built stock, both were balanced right on the leading edge of the bottom wing per instructions. Both did the zoom on first flight that elmshoot talks about. Just added a few ounces of lead to the front and that went away. The plane (after adding the lead) was a hands off, point where you want to go, airplane. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Lost the first one in a midair and sold the second one for another project.

After a few rough landings, I replaced the wire/wood/epoxolite landing gear with an aluminum one and that made it even easier to takeoff and land (wider stance)

I have one more NIB that I keep saying I have to build one of these days but projects are piling up. Oh well, "one of these days" may eventually get here.
Old 11-17-2002, 05:28 PM
at6fan
My Feedback: (13)

Default Smith Miniplane

A very easy airplane to fly. Lands very gently when balanced correctly. Only problems I had was it's inability to do an outside loop and fly knife-edge. I had to play with the incidence of the wings to get it right. Once I figured it all out it was a great flyer. Wished I'd never have sold it!!
Old 11-25-2002, 05:08 AM
jwl
My Feedback: (4)

Default Flying the Smith MiniPlane

Hi Gang,
I bought my metallic blue with bright yellow wing leading edge trim from an old timer at a swap meet. I can't help you on the wing incidence. But The plane flys great.
I actually was flying my ugly stick until I put the Saito FA-50 4 stroke in the smith.
I have not touched the stick all season.

This plane can be docile enough to teach a beginner to fly on, or aerobatic enough to really get your blood pumping!
I won't trade or sell it. It is one of those planes you just keep on hand and charged for a quick run to the field. Small enough to fit in most cars without disassembly of the wings. (I can get it into the back seat of my car!)

One thing I would do is move up to a .60 4 stroke or so.
I like big loops and rolls and the saito 50 just doesnt have the umph to get to the top of the loop.
I will be switching out the saito 50 for a 60 - 65 4 stroke next season.

This plane is a treat to watch in the air and sounds just as good with the 4 stroke!!!

Jeff
Old 11-25-2002, 06:40 AM
JediJawa

Default Pictures as promised...

Pictures as promised...

Well, here are a couple of pictures of the completed Smith Mini I just finished.... And then some post-maiden-flight pictures as well :-)

First: An overall view from the side.

Name:	37456_17894.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	17137  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.