Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

spar fo tiger 2, basswood or balsa?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

spar fo tiger 2, basswood or balsa?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 06:47 PM
tintinthepirate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spar fo tiger 2, basswood or balsa?

The 3/8x3/8 basswood spars comes with my tiger 2 kit are warped(tried to correct them but it didn't work) and I think they cannot be used, can I replace them with 3/8x 3/8 Balsa? would that provide enough strength?
Thanks!
Old 03-31-2005, 07:16 PM
gnirwin
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: spar fo tiger 2, basswood or balsa?

No, you wouldn't want to use balsa. Balsa would not be strong enough. You could use spruce though.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:32 AM
Deadbeat

i might be missing something? but i don't see why balsa can't be used here as long as you use shearweb's on the wing. the spar's on my Midwest 300S are balsa when i built the plane it called for hardwood spars but i replaced the with balsa the plane has been flying for about 5 year's now
Old 04-01-2005, 09:23 AM
smedsky

I would think that 3/8 balsa with shear webs would be almost strong enough for a full size plane.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:22 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How do you fly? If you are not cranking on the G's, you can get away with balsa.

Personally, the kit came with spruce, I would replace it with spruce. Balsa will work, most of the time, but its that most that causes you the problem. There are times it won't hold up, and your fuse will be comeing down without a wing.

Pin it in place, put the bends toward each other, make it straight, and once its all assembled, it will stay straight. If you can't do it, buy straight pieces.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:32 PM
Deadbeat

well as far as pulling G's i use to build 3D and IMAC plane's for other people. My Midwest 300S was flown by a pilot that was in and RC team on the west coast i told him to try and pull the wings off there still in one piece !! if you have good glue joints 3/8 balsa and shearweb's will be strong enough . the planes i sell i tell the new owner's you will not break it in the air i will gurrante it!!!
thats just my 2 cents it works for me good luck