Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

How to set up chipmunk?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

How to set up chipmunk?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 09:36 AM
ricknkim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to set up chipmunk?

Hello all,

I have a CG Super Chip that is almost ready for covering, I'm to the balancing stages now. My question is this: I have a 6 channel Futaba radio and I have the plane set up with dual aileron servos and flaps. The instructions for my transmitter seem like they want you to set up for dual aileron servos (and flaperons) OR true flaps. They have channel 5 as the landing gear servo, my current thought is to put ailerons on 1 and 6 like normal and then put flaps into channel 5 and just use the landing gear switch for flaps. The only problem with this is I don't know if I can use the flap trim function on my radio this way. Is this the best way? What about using a Y harness for the two aileron servos and putting them both into channel 1? Thoughts?
Old 04-03-2005, 03:43 PM
campbec

Default RE: How to set up chipmunk?

Hi Rick,

Not sure which six channel Futaba radio you have but you may be able to asign the flaps to a choice of controls. If not your proposal with the "Y lead" should work but you will have to set up the flap throw mechanicially. You will also probably need to set up the aileron servos so that you connect to opposite sides of each servo control arm.

Make certain that your model memory has all settings at the factory defaults (sub trim, end points etc) and set up everything to the throw settings determined by the templates that came with the kit. You don't need more than the recommended throws although the CofG is very conservative.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 04-03-2005, 04:48 PM
ricknkim

Ok, I will check it out a little closer. I am wondering if I can get the right amount of flaps just by setting the throw for the gear channel just like I can set it for the other channels...

Anyhow, new question. This chipmunk is one that I built about 2 years ago and left sitting in my closet 90% complete. Now I have pulled it back out and finished it, but I don't have the manual anymore. Anyone tell me what the factory recommended throws are? Thanks.

Rick
Old 04-03-2005, 08:02 PM
eaglelope

The instructions for the CG Chippy have templates to measure deflection angles. Measuring them it looks like the recommended throws are:

elevator +/- 10 degrees
ailerons +/- 15 degrees
rudder +/- 15 degrees
flaps 45 degrees

Mark