Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig SE Weight Question

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig SE Weight Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 07:38 PM
FlyBlueSkies
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig SE Weight Question

My SIG SE wieghs 5 lbs 10 oz with everything (motor, radio, servo's, etc) BUT without the extra wieght to correct for the CG.

This seems high.

What are you seeing?

Jeff
Old 04-15-2005, 01:06 AM
BadAtti2de

Default RE: Sig SE Weight Question

It appears I answered this in the wrong thread![&:]

Mine just came out to 6lbs even, but I have about a 1/3 of a tank of fuel in a 10 oz tank. So its prob about the sme as yours. I also have a larger engine, a OS 70 FS.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:25 AM
FlyBlueSkies

Thanks for the information!

Did you have to add a lot of weight to the front of the plane? It appears I have to add 5 - 9 oz to the front to balance the plane.

Mine came out tail heavy.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:31 AM
FlyBlueSkies

Never mind, I just read your reply in my other thread!

Originally, I had to add about 12 oz of lead to balance. But, if I move the receiver forward, put the battery under the gas tank, I think I can get away with about 5 - 6 oz of lead. This will put my cg at 3 1-2".

I have a .61 FS in mine. I would imagine, with a 70 FS, your plane goes verticle for quite a while!
Old 04-15-2005, 09:45 AM
BadAtti2de

I added nothing. It built perfect. The reciever is placed right in front of the servos in between the 2 half holes and held with a zip tie. The battery is wraped in super thick foam and wedged between tank and receiver in that open space above the landing gear and when I put the canopy back on it holds it in place. It isnt a problem because my other SE is the same and it has been flying for a year. The battery has never shifted.

And for the vertical, I need to put a 13 size prop on, which I havnt done yet. But it does go up pretty nice with the 12 on it.

Im sure you saw mine here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Sig_...2861097/tm.htm
Old 04-16-2005, 05:45 AM
FlyBlueSkies

Your plane looks very nice! I like the Dr. Pepper scheme!

Thanks for all the information.

I think the 70 OS added a little more weight up front than my engine, plus, if you kept the stock firewall location, it is about 1/4" forward of my engine mount.

That probably is the difference between my plane.

I appreciate your replies!

Jeff
Old 04-16-2005, 07:31 AM
Jollidude
My Feedback: (39)

Mine weighed 5 lbs 12 oz ready to fly. I was a bit disappointed at the time because SIG advertised 4.5 to 5 lbs on the box. It didn't matter, it was still an excellent flying plane. I sold it over the winter after flying it for 4 years. I don't recall where my CG was but 3 1/2" seems very far forward. I seem to recall having mine around 4 1/2" back from the LE which was 1/8" forward of the CG marked on the plans. I later moved it back another 1/2" with very minor changes in flying. This design has a very wide chord that can tolerate a wide CG range and I think that the CG marked on the plans is very conservative. Maybe some other members can chime in here to let us know where their CG's were set. Having to add 12 oz to this design doesn't seem right. BTW, I flew mine with an MDS 46 and later a GMS 47 after getting totally fed up with the MDS.

Cheers!

Jollidude