I got back into the '51 last night after putting the wing on my Dewey and adjusting the controls. I think I still have linkage work to do before I fly it, not happy with the throws.
Anyhow, I put the wing on the table and after looking at the retracts, decided, screw it, and cut out a section of skin, ripped out the retract mounts, slotted the plywood I installed for the well and remounted the retract. I turned the cylinder around to the other side and drilled a hole in W4 for it, adjusted the fit of the rails and now the gear fits perfect. Epoxied the rails back in with milled fiberglass for strength, and figured out the hinge setup for the wheel door. Before I skinned it, I had put in some supports of Spruce on W2 to beef it up, and now I have a nice strut stop when it retracts. Makes a nice resounding thunk when it locks up.
I have a picture of it, but have to download it from my phone. Next time out I will reskin the section I cut out, and refit the landing gear door, then do the other side.
Now if I can just figure out how to open and close the wheel doors I will be happy.