Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build

Old 02-10-2006, 08:31 PM
asphalt252
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build

Bull, I'm not sure if you got the fuleage done yet. If not, I could make you a set of sanding templates for the rear under side of the fuselage just aft of the radiator scoop. You need to do a bunch of sanding here and it's very hard to see how much to remove. I'll make three temps one to go about 1/4" from scoop mount, second 2" from scoop mount, third 3" from scoop mount. I've worked very hard to match the scoop lines and keep the blend as smooth as possible on mine and will pass my efforts on to you. Another step that is easy to skip or forget page 34 center is the area just under the stab is slightly sanded on the edges. This helps complete that round look that's so important on this kit when viewing the tail. Also don't forget the small fillets on each side of the elevators attached to the fin page 36 right these little things will make her look so sweet.

See Photo below for Robart Plane stand I spoke of before, very handy item only $17.00 at any hobby place.
Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2006, 10:23 PM
bull51

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

asphalt,

No, I dont have the fuse done, not even started yet. Let me look over the plans and I'll let you know about the templates. Also, I havent forgot about that cockpit! For any new readers of this post, I suggest you go back a page or two and check out asphalt's cockpit for his P-51, it is awesome. I remenber seeing the contour of the fuse side under the stab a few days ago ( I was reding ahead ). I just received my retract kit today. I will be running the air lines soon, then sheeting the top of teh wing. This should free up my bench so I can start on the fuse, probably in about 1 week or so. I'm gonna take it real slow and check the straightness of my building board before I start ( I use a hollow core door with two ceiling tiles glued to it ). I have not checked the wing for any twists yet, but it is next on my list.

bull
Old 02-12-2006, 07:30 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Guy's I have been following this thread with great interest for a while as have a few other people it seems.

I have finally been able to get my hands on a kit and am wiating for it to arrive. I'm real keen to start but will be building her up as the B model. just to be different. After reading all the posts, i think i will end up going the Robart 605HD's but was wondering if the 606HD would sit better and compensate for the diheral? Any thoughts on that?

Thanks

Old 02-12-2006, 04:16 PM
asphalt252

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ticketec,
Welcome aboard we are always happy to see new guys join this Mustang thread, the best one on RCU in my opinion. Anyway there's loads of great information for you here and if you can't find something just ask we'll try to help you with your build. As for your question about the Robart 605HD retracts. According see drawing to Robart's web site I see no visible difference in the dimensions of the two models 605-606 so both will fit the same, poorly. Someone needs to try to make e thicker wing just to see how that works out. If you have any Ideas let us know!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Fd92923.pdf (56.2 KB, 54 views)
Old 02-13-2006, 06:03 PM
bull51

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

asphalt,

I have good news. I measuerd my wing using the method you described and my handy, dandy Robart stand. It is within 1/64 of an inch, which I am perfectly happy with. Hope to get to sheeting the top tomorrow.

ticketec,

Yes the 606HD will compensate for the dihedral. As a matter of fact, this is mentioned in the maual on page 8 when they are discussing the Bob Violett models retracts. I went with the Robart 551RS which also lock down at 85 degrees, but the mounts are aircraft aluminum instead of plastic. Because of this, there is no way I can have functional retract doors on model. But, asphalt has come up with an excellent alternative which I might follow. Its a page or two back in this thread.

Good luck with your build.

bull
Old 02-13-2006, 08:03 PM
asphalt252

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bull51

asphalt,

I have good news. I measuerd my wing using the method you described and my handy, dandy Robart stand. It is within 1/64 of an inch, which I am perfectly happy with. Hope to get to sheeting the top tomorrow.

ticketec,

Yes the 606HD will compensate for the dihedral. As a matter of fact, this is mentioned in the maual on page 8 when they are discussing the Bob Violett models retracts. I went with the Robart 551RS which also lock down at 85 degrees, but the mounts are aircraft aluminum instead of plastic. Because of this, there is no way I can have functional retract doors on model. But, asphalt has come up with an excellent alternative which I might follow. Its a page or two back in this thread.

Good luck with your build.

bull
Bull that's great news now when you land you may not see that it required full aileron to trim it out for level flight. LOL
Good luck sheeting the other side you may find that the 1/64 will come out too.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:14 PM
Capttully

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey guys! I have been reading your posts for info to build my TF P51, I have recieved alot of info thanks! but i still am not sure how to build those Counter Balances ? Any tips for a newbie. Are they a certain type of hinge i can buy, or should i just try to build them from scratch?
Old 02-14-2006, 02:05 AM
asphalt252

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

These are so easy to build it isn’t funny, just look at the plans and cut out the notch on the stab and fin where they go. Then simply box it in as the book shows on page 10 bottom right. Then build your rudder and elevator sand them finnish smooth and sand that V hinge line leading edge on them first. Then cut a flat notch on the V where you can glue a scrap piece of balsa the same thickness of the elevator and rudder on them in the corresponding location. Sand the leading edge of it round and make sure it fits nice in the cut out for it and don't bind with deflection. This is not a hinge at all, once you hinge it up on the hinge line it just sits in there and deflects in the opposite direction of the control surface. On the full scale they where weighted just enough to balance the control surface you could do this too if you like, I did not do it on mine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32364.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	407884   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27865.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	407885   Click image for larger version

Name:	By76614.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	407886  
Old 02-14-2006, 02:23 PM
jamie_duff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You can use the Robart 606HDs to account for some dihedral, but I found that with my retracts (CJM) that by the time I'd modified the mounts to get the wheels inside the wing, I'd pretty much removed the dihedral from the retract mounts anyway, meaning that my oleo legs are almost vertical.

Depends on how far you're taking the model though, I'm fitting inner doors to mine and thus need my wheels inside. I build the TF P-47 stock and have never been happy with the retracts, although it must be said they're still a damn sight better than flying around with fixed u/c
Old 02-14-2006, 02:45 PM
jamie_duff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

And just to prove I have actually done something recently...........................

Old 02-14-2006, 03:22 PM
bull51

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

jamie,

Looks great. Keep up the good work!
Old 02-14-2006, 05:05 PM
asphalt252

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

VERY VERY nice work Jamie looks smooth, clean and sweet. Did you fly it around the house yet making engine noises with your mouth. A low pich 4 stroke Gin or beer powered engine works best I understand lol.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:44 AM
asphalt252

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey guys thought you all would like to see the guts of this thing before its first flight. As I can see most of you are near done with your wings and ready to start the fuse. I have a few tips for you regarding air tank and throttle servo arrangement. By the way notice the silver air cylinder on the right side next to the air tank. This is the tail wheel cylinder which has a push rod that runs down the fuse to the retractable tail wheel apparatus that pulls it up and down. You can also see the cable pull pull yoke just under the airtank. It seemed to me that the throttle servo was just a bit far down into the fuse for a convenient linkage setup. So I moved it closer just behind the fuel tank for a nice straight shot through the firewall to the throttle arm nice and simple. Now notice that my air tank has a nice new front mount specially made by yours truly. I used the rear mount that came in the kit but the front one seemed a little inadequate to hold the air tank securely. See how the front lip of the tank is caught and can’t move back and forth notice the nice rubber band hold downs this is much better. When you install the dowels in the air tank mount drill the holes for them at a downward angle to help the rubber stands stay on. Now let’s move up front to the business end of this baby, wow isn’t she sweet. Here is my Saito .120, last summer she spent her first few tanks in a very big nice slow Tiger Moth taken it easy and going slow. Well those days are over its time to wind her up and see what she’s got its well broke-in and ready for the challenge. Notice how I cut the groove for the muffler so nothing hangs out the side. I hate that! Well wish me luck guys I’ll give you all a detailed report on the first flight good or bad. Knock on wood, fingers crossed, salt over the shoulder, rubbing my lucky rabbits foot and a prayer to the man upstairs but I guess he did his part by giving me the skills to build it in the first place.

Name:	Ki18937.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	408520   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42685.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	408521   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp32911.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	408522   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh11605.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	408523   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46397.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	408524   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61025.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	408525  
Old 02-15-2006, 06:12 AM
ticketec

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good Luck Asphalt252, hope all goes well!

I didn't have time to check the replys because i just found out a mate is over in the US at the moment and flies out on Friday. So in order to save on the considerable shippings cost i got him to get me all the bit's and pieces for the gear. I when with the safe option of the 605HD's, I'm hoping that i will be able to ensure that they are vertical in the down position.... I would also like to get gear doors that say on for flight. call me slack, and they make the world of difference when your coming in to land.

I had the same problem of the wing not being think enough on my World Models .60 Zero and i never got the original doors that come with the kit so i made some up out of 0.010-0.015" aluminium and curved the door so it sat better (read almost flush with the lower wing skin.) That way i had gear doors and the curve is not that noticeable unless you know its there!

What is recommended for the tail wheel retract. Another cylinder or a servo? Having no experience with pneumatic retracts i lean towards a servo? what does a cylinder set you back?

Thanks
Old 02-15-2006, 12:47 PM
jamie_duff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've got a Robart tailwheel ready (in fact it's sitting on the plans layed out on my living room floor - best sort that out before the wife gets home!!) to build in. I haven't actually done it yet, but I think I've got it all mapped out in my head.

I'm using a Robart 3/8" dia x 1/2" stroke air cylinder to move mine. Hope that's enough movement - it ought to be. Unlike you, I have experience with pneumatic retracts and none with servos, so I'm going all air. Don't be affraid of air - it's very simple and remarkably easy to set up and install. I'm slightly scared of servos because of travel/stops etc. Never tried so I don't know if my fears are justified.

What I will say about the Robart tailwheel is that although the quality appears fine (mostly plastic though) the retraction angle ins't very good IMO. It can only just be made to pull the wheel inside the fuselage. And you need to make a new piano wire strut for it since it's about an inch short for our purposes.

BTW the air cylinders are very light so don't let weight put you off. At the end of the day, it's your model, you have to complete it, rig it, fly it and maintain it, so whilst I think you should challange yourself and explore new techniques/methods (as we all should), it's sometimes best to use our tried and tested ways which we know and are comfortable with.

It's really frustrating having a good looking model that's always busted or otherwise problematic

Edit: A Robart air cylinder is around the $20 mark from Tower Hobbies.

Good luck on the flight Asphalt! MAKE SURE IT'S REALLY READY - no CofG probs or anything daft! Can't wait to hear how it goes. Have you weighed it yet?
Old 02-15-2006, 03:20 PM
bull51

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

asphalt,

My prayers and best wishes are with you. I can feel my thumbs trembeling on the radio sticks already ( just a liitle empathy ). We all know it will go well. Thanks for the pics of the inside. I enjoy seeing what others have done to finish the "guts" of the model. I will have basically the same set-up. I'm considering an attempt to mount the fuel tank over the c.g. I'm not sure if thats possible, but we'll see.

jamie,

which robart tail wheel retract are you using?

bull
Old 02-15-2006, 06:07 PM
asphalt252

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The weight and balance of the model is all that's left to do. When I get that done here in the next day or so I'll pass the data on to you all. Especialy those of you that have installed the Robart retractable tail wheel system. This data may help you guys with battery, fuel tank or lead placement for proper CG flight balance. Looks like we have some snow comming this way (north central Iowa) weather man said 6". Man all the snow just melted away and I was ready for my first flight. Well need to wait just a bit longer now. How would skis look on a Mustang? Hmm naaa don't think so just kidding.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:34 PM
asphalt252

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ticketec

Good Luck Asphalt252, hope all goes well!

I didn't have time to check the replys because i just found out a mate is over in the US at the moment and flies out on Friday. So in order to save on the considerable shippings cost i got him to get me all the bit's and pieces for the gear. I when with the safe option of the 605HD's, I'm hoping that i will be able to ensure that they are vertical in the down position.... I would also like to get gear doors that say on for flight. call me slack, and they make the world of difference when your coming in to land.

I had the same problem of the wing not being think enough on my World Models .60 Zero and i never got the original doors that come with the kit so i made some up out of 0.010-0.015" aluminium and curved the door so it sat better (read almost flush with the lower wing skin.) That way i had gear doors and the curve is not that noticeable unless you know its there!

What is recommended for the tail wheel retract. Another cylinder or a servo? Having no experience with pneumatic retracts i lean towards a servo? what does a cylinder set you back?

Thanks
I have thought this through with my cad program and I'm now cretin that this can easily be done by simply lowering the retract mount rails down into the wing more. With this modification the retract cylinder nearly touches the under side of top sheeting. This should provide much more room for the doors to close all the way shut.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:07 AM
ticketec

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Asphalt252,

Having looked at the pics posted here and reading the manual, that's what i was planing to do, my concern from comments here is that the inboard gear doors will not work if the wheels does not fully fit in the wing, depthwise.

That's kind of why i wanted the robat 606HD because if the retract unit is further into the wing then you will require less retract movement.

Does anyone have any pic's up close of the 605HD's? If they work with a cam in a similar fashion to mechanical ones, i could modify the angle they travel to suit my needs as i did for my Fw-190A.

Thanks

Dave
Old 02-16-2006, 06:22 AM
asphalt252

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ticketec,
You are correct about the wheel but that's not all you got there. Remember you got the thickness of that scale strut axle shaft that needs to fit between the wheel and the bottom of the top sheeting too. This ends up being very thick and hard to get it all inside with doors, well good luck hope you can do it. I think poor fitting doors that hang open look like #*#~ that's why mine are removable. Believe me if I could make them close I would fly with them on but try as I did I just could not got them to close enough to my liking. You can see mine are close about a thin 1/8" of the door hangs open. You can see the depth of the bay opening and the thickness of the axle, wheel and door in photo below. Another problem you have is that the door must be at an angle going away from the wheel about 1/4". So it can roll and go up and down as the oleo shock moves without hitting your doors and ripping them off on a bouncy landing.
As you can see by the pics below I boxed in my wheel well bays I used 3/32' balsa grain going up and down. I also put some 1/4x 1/4 sticks in the bays to make the above sheeting stronger for grabbing the wing in that location. Sorry about the dusty pics sanding on another project, balsa dust gets on everything don't it!

Name:	Ig13539.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	409210   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84154.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	409211   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28045.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	409212   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65250.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	409213   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60698.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	409214   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15429.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	409215  
Old 02-16-2006, 08:11 AM
ticketec

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey asphalt252,

Thanks for the pic's they are worth a thousand words!!

It has given me plenty to think about. While i was checking out your awsome pic's, a few questions poped into my head. Firstly, when the gear is retracted, does the strut contact the top wing skin? also, from the look of your pic's it seems like you haven't recessed the retracts units into the wing too much, am i correct? Man, but it sure does look good....

I also had hoped to get away with working inner doors too. As some else posted, I really think that the landing gear let's down my Zero and i would like to get it right for the Mustang, but it's quickly becoming apparent that it's gonna be a tall hill to climb.

Hey Jamie, Thanks for the info on the retractable tail wheel, I will look into the extra cylinder after the blow(financial and then the wife's when she finds out) of the main gear purchase wears off. I'm not really concerned with pneumatics, just not experienced with the modelling variety. I'm what you guy in the US call an A&P and i overhauled B767 pneumatic valves/regulators for about 2 years. Your right about challanging yourself, the only way to learn!

Thanks

Dave
Old 02-16-2006, 03:15 PM
jamie_duff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey I'm no guy from the US you sodding Pommie!!!
Old 02-16-2006, 04:16 PM
bull51

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well,

I have not gotten to my wing yet. I'm slacking. I did, however, get a chance to glue the skins together. I used your method, asphalt. Much easier on the lungs. Hope to get them on tomorrow. I also tested my retract system, thats the real reason I did'nt get to the wing, I was busy plaing with the retracts, lol. My gin powered wing sounds much better when it has a set of gear to land on!

Asphalt,

No flight yet?
Old 02-16-2006, 04:24 PM
asphalt252

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nope sorry bull,
No flight yet up to my butt in snow now. Right now the wind is blowing so hard I'dd save a few bucks on glow fuel if I just put a string on it and flew it like a kite.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:02 PM
bull51

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

He he he,

Thats whats comming my way tomorrow, i guess. They're calling for 40mph winds and rain. I routed the retract air lines yesterday. I'm surprised the directions don't mention this. I assume it could be done afterwards, but my gosh, how simple it was before sheeting. This waiting 24 hrs for glue to dry is killing me. Now, I have another question for you. Is it possible to mount the fuel tank over or close to C.G.? I have seen this done on the Hanger-9 .60 P-51 and was wondering if its possible on ours. It sounds like a really good idea. I don't want to get into moving to many things around, as a matter of fact, if I can't do it with the way things a positioned as per the plans, it probably won't get done.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service