Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 04:35 PM
rotccapt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build

come to think of it mine was nose heavy too, but i was able to move my battery back far enough to balance out
Old 08-16-2010, 01:09 AM
Boro...

Thank you for your comments.

Which engine were you using?

Regards

Ricardo
Old 08-16-2010, 06:22 AM
rotccapt

saito 125 coveted to gas
Old 08-16-2010, 06:32 AM
Boro...

I was thinking in placing my rudder servo in the tail, just behind the tail wheel. What do you think? It would be enough to balance the plane with the OS 95?
Old 08-20-2010, 02:39 PM
Corsair 29

I was finally able to get a couple of videos, but unfortunately they were not the best. My mustang has about 10 flights total. I had some engine problems with my p-51, The first flight as you can see the mixture was a little too rich, and the landing was not the best. On final I stalled her about 1 foot from the runway. There was no damage to the plane at all. I got some slow motion shot of the landing at the end of the 1st video.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWtr8TLKs-E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWtr8TLKs-E[/link]
Old 08-20-2010, 02:48 PM
Corsair 29

After making some mixture corrections, I decided to take her up again. This time everything was going well untill the 1st loop, then I started to loose RPM's and I decided to land. The landing was alot better than the 1st.
I decided to call it a day since it was getting too hot. I'll work on the engine next time.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjVdE2oVTAg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjVdE2oVTAg[/link]
Old 08-26-2010, 07:46 AM
Riddle4U

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the vid Corsair! The flare was better in the second video, the flying was visibly more confident also. Keep flying after the wheels hit though....rudder is huge after landing any taildragger (the CG is behind the gear, so you need to be on top of it). That is the type of post that keeps me interested; no offense to those newcomers asking all this and that about installing retracts....but maybe you are ahead of yourselves on building (actually a good habit..I like that). If I follow the questioning by some, I wonder if some of you have the flying skills for this particular aircraft? It is not for beginners whatsoever. Get a good Sig 4-Star 40 taildragger to learn on at the least...and then at least one heavier wingloaded beast (weight to wing-area ratio), before telling us all how it all didn't turn out as hoped!!!! You really have to be an expert pilot to have success with this fine design. Warbirds at these scales have distinct limitations, and many other models may better suit the flying preferences of even expert flyers. Big loops and skillfull rolls are about all these heavy scale ships can handle. Excellent takeoffs and landings should also be one of our primary goals with these types...as far as airmanship. All just to say this and similar models require a different orientation and expectation performance-wise.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:19 AM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any thoughts on using CF composites to lighten the Mustang up a bit?

Things like bulkheads, firewalls, gear mounts, servo trays, fuse doublers, etc. could benefit. Contest balsa would lighten up the fuse. These things may be worth the effort in lightening the wing loading significantly. Constructing a mold for a fiberglass fuse may be worth the effort to construct as well.

I am currently focusing on building classic pattern designs, but the skills gained from that I plan to incorporate into my future Berlin Express build.

Any opinions?

Brian
Old 09-12-2010, 09:08 AM
rotccapt

the fiberglass fuse could be a good idea also the use of composites might lighten it up a tad but all in all this is a warbird and it wont fly like a trainer
Old 09-12-2010, 09:37 AM
EscapeFlyer

but all in all this is a warbird and it wont fly like a trainer
...nor would I want it to.

For me it is a game of give and take. Shave weight and add weight when needed. I do not believe lighter is always better. But, with a warbird in this size and weight class, it can definately use a diet when one wishes to use retracts and flaps, etc. Anything to keep the wing loading managable is my goal.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:13 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Hey people, just thought I’d give this thread a kick. Recently got all of my stuff out of storage, it’s been there for about two years, very depressing times!
Never seen to many full cockpits with this plane and I can’t ever remember seeing a functional birdcage canopy on the 1/7 bird. The Top Flite P-51 has given me so much pleasure over the last 13 years now, I have 2 and am now building a 3<sup>rd</sup> for a friend! If you look earlier in the thread you will see where I recommend raising the engine mount ¼” for a more scale nose profile, and also my work on the functional gear doors, I use BVM cylinders for my inner doors.
In the pictures below with the canopy in the closed position, if you look closely you can see the latch in place. It is simply a piece of spring steel that can be easily removed to display the cockpit in the open position. I soldered all of the hinges for the canopy, while the ones on the drop down window may be slightly larger than scale, it was never my intent to compete with this thing! It’s just a “look at how cool I am” thing or to show how big of a geek I am, one of the two! I still need to add the radio box, head rest pouch thing and a few other details, but I should have this thing painted in the colors of “Joan” in the next couple of weeks. Just ordered my dry transfers and stencils from www.getstencils.com.Also, the pilot shown is the old discontinued Top Flite pilot, this particular one resides in my Hangar 9 Blue Nose ARF, but I have another new one that will go in my P-51B. I have finishing video's on Youtube now with this plane, and I'll be sure and post a full flight report and maiden video!

Ta Ta for now!

Old 11-12-2010, 01:12 PM
EscapeFlyer

I'M NOT WORTHY!!!

Do all your mustangs stay as light as your first? Are you doing anything to achieve this? I keep reading how everyone ends up over 10-12lbs. I even read one at 14lbs. I realize they are heavier than sport planes, but these weights are kind of crazy!

This is the main thing keeping me from starting the P-51 B/C Berlin Express subject I want to model. I'd like the airplane to stick around for a while, even fly it regularly.

You have probably addressed this question somewhere. If so, could you point me to it?

Brian
Old 11-12-2010, 02:39 PM
WarbirdAirRacer
My Feedback: (16)

dionysusbacchus, Do your or will you build for other people? if so can you PM me your contact info?

Thanks[8D]
Old 11-12-2010, 03:09 PM
dionysusbacchus

Hey thanks Brian, my first mustang was a little over 9lbs, I have not weighed this one yet. I flew my first one for 10 years, I stopped counting flights at 300, I know it reached 1,000! Also worth noting, that one has the completely stock aileron set up with the bell-cranks. I’ve pulled the Monokote off now and am glassing it. It’s amazing how light this B model is I’m building as compared to my Hangar 9 Blue Nose, that one is a tank by comparison. Avoid placing anything behind the CofG if you can. Use as few servos as you can, I like bell-cranks and will use themoften. And the big one is the finish, of course with Monokote it’s a done deal, but with glassing you must resist adding a second filler coat and thin the one and only application. I used a little over a table spoon of resin to glass the entire B fuselage. You did not say what you plan to finish your plane with? Here is a video describing how I finished the P-51B:

(Be sure and check out part 2)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rcKyCMDBJE

Edit: not sure what this thing is doing with the lines!
Old 11-12-2010, 06:16 PM
gmohr

Hey guys, long time no speak! I found something that might be of interest to stang builders.

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdID=EFLG400

These are e-Flite electric-mechanical retracts. My friend bought a set for a different plane, but they'd be perfect for the TF 1/7th warbirds. They look and work very nice, although not quite as nice as the LADO's I used... but hey at least you can GET them. And the price is right!

Take care
-George
Old 11-12-2010, 06:41 PM
EscapeFlyer

Dion,

I'll be glassing it for sure now. I've seen several different methods for glassing and this seems so much easier and cleaner to work with. I think I'll be using this method on my classic pattern planes as well.

Mine will not be anywhere near your quality, but I'll sure try...

I don't think I'll be incorporating the scale doors this time around, but I will be raising the engine mount 1/4" as suggested.

I'd like to be able to drop bombs as well. Do you have any tips on installation?

This is the subject I wish to model:

Brian
Old 11-12-2010, 09:00 PM
dionysusbacchus

ORIGINAL: WarbirdAirRacer

dionysusbacchus, Do your or will you build for other people? if so can you PM me your contact info?

Thanks[8D]
I do, but at the moment I am booked, sorry!

Glad you enjoyed my video Brian! What a beautiful subject you are going to do there! Looks just like mine! I'm doing "Joan", the same basic paint job. As far as bomb drops go, it would probably be better to make your own, very simple. carve the bomb rack out of balsa and us the drawing attached below from the old Jemco Master Scale Mustang plans:
Old 11-12-2010, 10:16 PM
gmohr

BTW, Rush fan?
Old 11-12-2010, 11:32 PM
Riddle4U

Hi Bacchus, nice to see you here. I am impressed with all the air-miles on your other stang! Very impressive on your birdcage version! I love those types as you know. Here are my drop tank hard points for mine. Keep us all updated on your progress.

p.s. How's that wonderful D VII project moving? Love that idea!
Old 11-15-2010, 08:01 PM
stevenmax50

Wow.  I opened a thread asking for tips on the TF P51 as My Christmas present has already arrived from Tower.  Of course, I cant start on it until Dec 25th.  Anyway one of the guys sent me to this thread.  106 pages of awesome.  But man it is alot to cull through.  If everyone doesnt mind I think I will start a new build thread after Christmas.  Maybe we can condense alot of the great tips down to a dozen or so pages.  I read the first 4 pages of this thread before jumping to the end.  And I figure bewtween now and my start date I will go through the rest.  Probably ought to have pen and paper ready to grab a tip when I see one.  I already know I will use the glassing method that dio...somin somin showed us on utube.   That was very nice.  I also had a friend tell me about the e-flite retracts today.  If you can make the gear doors open in sequence with them they might be the way to go.  Anyway, back to page 4.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:06 PM
stevenmax50

Dionysusbaccus....is that right?  Can we call you Dio?  Anyway, your glassing is way cool dude.  Can you only do that and solid surfaces?  I am asking because I am reay to cover a bipe with a turtle deck.  Any suggestions?
Old 11-15-2010, 08:51 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

HI Dionysusbachus,

I love that video... Is that a Top Flite tub that you have for the cockpit? And, how about the pilot? I'm looking for a civilian that I can use (racer, etc.)

Very nice job. I'm going to watch it a couple more times and get more out of it.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 11-15-2010, 09:07 PM
dionysusbacchus

ORIGINAL: Riddle4U

Hi Bacchus, nice to see you here. I am impressed with all the air-miles on your other stang! Very impressive on your birdcage version! I love those types as you know. Here are my drop tank hard points for mine. Keep us all updated on your progress.

p.s. How's that wonderful D VII project moving? Love that idea!
Thank you for the welcome, I'm refinishing my original Mustang in "Tangerine" colors, so whe will continue on for another 10 I hope! I like your struts, good idea to use brass on them! The D VII is another forum and another time!

Dionysusbaccus....is that right? Can we call you Dio? Anyway, your glassing is way cool dude. Can you only do that and solid surfaces? I am asking because I am reay to cover a bipe with a turtle deck. Any suggestions?
Dion would be fine, thanks man! Only on solid surfaces, although you could use balsa to sheet the turtle deck, very thin balsa and then use the resin.

HI Dionysusbachus, I love that video... Is that a Top Flite tub that you have for the cockpit? And, how about the pilot? I'm looking for a civilian that I can use (racer, etc.) Very nice job. I'm going to watch it a couple more times and get more out of it. Thanks, Bob
Glad you like it, the cockpit is made up of side and instrument panels from the old Royal/Marutaka cockpit kit. I have the molds for those kits and make my own parts. The pilot is the discontinued Top Flite, I'm sure you could find a civilian pilot to fit no problem though.

Here is a video of the working canopy to help clarify:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ws1P_-OdIU[/youtube]

Old 11-16-2010, 12:03 AM
Riddle4U

Thanks Bacchus (I hope any form of your nickname is fine). You have done a service here for some time, and always well explained and very logical. I don't think I have seen you provide a video before, but you do it well and I hope many will benefit when you see fit to do that. Thanks, Eric

P.s. I got off my keester this weekend and I think I will wrap up my shelved 1/7th D model in the next month or so! I have a few extras as shown, I did the gear with the BVM as suggested in the TF manual and am going to mold doors as the last step before covering. I am just going to go with the attractive Big B... in monokote initialy (it is overdone but I like it and the decals are there). I might glass it and paint in the "Vergeltungswaffe" colors later, after some extensive flying (that is to be the emphasis). I think I will have fun with the sequenced-door plan somewhere before the flying (I am compelled to put enough effort into my models to guarantee tears upon any damage from flying..to totallity).
Old 11-16-2010, 10:16 PM
dionysusbacchus

Thank you Riddle! I'll see how the video thing goes, I've already got 11 subs, not easy to do with RC based Youtube channels! If my videos help one person to have more enjoyment with their hobby then it's worth it.

You must finish your plane my friend! It's winter there for sure, so make it a priority! I'll post some pictures of my first TF P-51D for inspiration. I first flew her on 9-20-97, she came in at 91/2lbs, stock ball link on single aileron servo, O.S. .61 (never dead sticked the plane and I'm not lying people!)flew at the now entirely gone Brooks AFB runways (Walmart is there now!). This is the one I pulled the Monokote off of after 10 years of flying, I'm just now getting to it for refinishing in glass and paint for her new life! I'll post pictures when the time comes!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.