Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 04:28 AM
BradSD
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build

great to see you come in here, I plan to get back to building some this week. I am still checking in from time to time. Keep posting I would love to see the thread take off.
Later,
Brad
Old 11-19-2005, 04:49 AM
intermidiot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello mkegwin, guys...

Welcome to the thread.. I have been steadily working on my plane. finshing up the aft and forward decking.. etc.. also working on the wings finishing them up as well.. Waiting on some parts though.. Your plane looks great so far..

I am actually going to get my cowl from here.. http://www.stansfibertech.com/ . I like the fiberglass more then the plastic. What do you mean " Did anyone do the tail gear or not? " Let me know and I will let you know.

I have more pictures coming.. so awesome how the plane is turning out.. I love it.. Welcome again, and I looking forward to your pictures Brad, that glassing must be awesome by now.. I have been looking at this as well:

http://www.westsystem.com/

Please list everything you purchased to do your glassing with the west system if you have a chance.. thanks:

http://www.westsystem.com/frames/tie.../pricelist.htm

Brad, Please give me another link if possible to the place you purchased your stuff Brad, I cannot get to it, or maybe another place that sells the same stuff...

Old 11-19-2005, 07:00 AM
BradSD

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/

That should get you there and they sell both products the West System and the epoxy that I used. I must say that it would be hard for me to switch at this point to the West System, my results so far are great. I still have to final sand, I been working so much and out of time. I am very eagar to get back on both of my planes. Intermidiot if you happen to find a better and cheaper place to purchase these products let me know. I would also like to buy the fiberglass in bulk and discount. I intend to keep building these warbirds for many years so the one yard packs will not cut it. A 5 yard pack or maybe a 10 of the 3/4 oz would be great.
Brad
Old 11-19-2005, 11:57 AM
mkeigwin
My Feedback: (18)

i got my stuff from west marine cost me around 80.00 for the setup. but should be able to do 4 planes . glass i got at home depot . this stuff is clear and is great to work with .

i was asking about the rear grear did any one di it in the retractable ver. robart sell one #121 but i don't have it yet . just to the point that it needs to be done or not . would like some pic if some one did do it . thanks . more pic to come
Old 11-19-2005, 03:19 PM
Moosimo1

Hey guys Ive been keeping up on your post, and I just wanted to say that all your planes look great! I do have a question about glassing the planes. Does putting the glass on affect the weight of it dramaticly and do you glass the entire plane or just the wing?
Old 11-19-2005, 11:24 PM
BradSD

Glassing adds a small amount of weight but the benefits of added strenght and a paintable surface makes it worthwhile. And yes I glass the entire airplane, prime and paint. Give it a try, it beats covering hands down.
Later,
Brad
Old 11-20-2005, 09:56 PM
Moosimo1

Ok thanks for the info. A buddy of mine and I are going to scratch build a B-25 so I think Im gonna try and glass it so I can airbrush a good scheme on it.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:30 AM
intermidiot

Hello All,

Here is a couple of photos of my almost final dry fits of the plane before I close her up. I hope you enjoy. I am sorry if they are a little blurry, but it is hard to hold the camera just so. lol.. I had nothing to prop it on. I am just getting all my angles perfected before I finish the aft, canopy area.. I know I will have to readjust after finishing the final sheeting on the wing, but that should be this week.

Update: I wanted to show those of you who are curious about the shape of the CLE when you get to this part. The picture give a bit of a show, but again getting new camera for christmas that can take photos up to 4cm away. By then it would be too late, so I hope this helps.

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86320.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	357996   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96955.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	357997   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20682.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	357998  
Old 11-21-2005, 11:32 AM
BradSD

Looks really nice! Have you already hinged the elevators or are the just pushed into place.
Finishing that area is tough if it is already hinged. I spent about 30 min last night with mine sanding. The picture of the cle will help me out when I rebuild the wing. I hope to purchase the kit again real soon so I can keep going with the build.
Later,
Brad
Old 11-21-2005, 12:50 PM
intermidiot

Hey Brad,

The plane is completely hinged, but not glued into place yet. I will glue once the plane is glassed and painted. This way I can do all the pieces individually. I am also making things a bit more open so that when I glass and paint there is still enough clearance. You know me... Funny thing is that I was going to buy the slotting tool and so forth but I actually did all my hinge points by hand with an exacto knife. I even used a good old ruler to find my cut locations. Now that was tough, so next time I think I will get the

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDMR9&P=7]Goldberg Center Line Marker[/link]

You really think it looks great! That is awesome, thanks!

Old 11-21-2005, 01:54 PM
BradSD

An old ruler & #11 blade! Now your going old school. Glad to hear that you have not glued yet. Wish I could inspect plane in person but yeah it looks really nice in the shots. Remember making the thing look scale is as hard or harder in my opinion than building. Cant remember but it seems you said you were going with the box scheme, is that right? If so have fun with that checkerboard front. Your saying you will be done be Christmas, Im putting the challenge to ya I say you wont make it. LOL Finishing takes a very long time, you still got a little work to do, sheeting, wing fairings, final connections, radio setup, fiberglassing, more sanding, primming and more sanding, then some more sanding LOL. then painting and panel lines, a plane that nice could use some rivits. Then you got cockpit duty, then pilot fitting. Man were here to spring im betting! [X(], will be fighting like brothers before you get to the end of this thing. I think Zope has dropped out on us, what do you think? Im hoping he comes back I enjoyed him being in here and sharing the build. The overtime has kicked in on me at work, its getting hard for me to find time to build. Been working 7 12 hour days on day shift (no plane building on days except on weekends when the day workers are gone.) I switch back to nights Thursday so I will be finishing up the Fuse build.
Brad
Old 11-21-2005, 03:00 PM
intermidiot

lol,

I think I can make it to near completion by Christmas. I will be air brushing it myself and that will not take me more then a day. However, I am still missing some parts and I want to mod it a little more, but keep it scale. Right now I am outta 30 minute epoxy and I need it to attach the engine mounting plate. I would use 5 minute, but according to structure requirements they say it is better to have 2500lb per sq inch on that plate then 1500 ( 5 minute epoxy ) so I am waiting till it arrives. I can assure you it is driving me crazy. Other then that I really do not have any other questions or concerns at the moment.

As you know this is a hobby. I am not in any rush to get it done. I would prefer to build at the same time with you guys. That was making it even more fun. I too wish you were closer to inspect the plane as well. That would be really kool. I also wish that Zope was around more too. He was great for some really nice photos and just to chat with.

On another note, I do enjoy the sanding.. it is rather relaxing.. something I do while watching tv some of the time. So no problem there. I just wish they would include the finished wing and stab ends in the kit. Would save a lot of time Those are hand cramp areas. heh... Hope all is well for ya.

PS, mkeigwin

I am not doing the retractable tail wheel, but if I had to do it all over again I think I might. Reason: I think the default tail wheel takes away from the plane a bit, and getting that B**** straight and level and in tune with the rudder is just that, a B****. But take your time it works out well.

Old 11-23-2005, 04:28 AM
m2

Hi Guys, first up Great Pics on the WIP P-51s they are deffinatly insperation for me to keep going i hope mine will look as good!!!

I'm really enjoying this topic! as its interesting to see that kind of progress!!!

As anyone thought of adding this? I saw it on another topic somewhere i think in RCU

http://www.keleo-creations.com/Mustang3/OS-91-man.htm

With the retract tail wheel, im adding one on my stang i'll write how i'vd added it when im finished ..... (but expect delays)

On these pics below you can see my dummy rig for testing some ideas.

Im looking at positioning that servo at nose side of F8 on the plans, as it'll need the full arcs to turn the wheel < & > but its a bit concerning how it'll affect the balance with having to strengthen the F10 area (where the wheel mount goes) + having that servo

Getting it to retract dowsn't seem to be a problem, the problem for the moment is that the "fishing" wire im using is slipping where it joins the stearing bar on the wheel.

Also has anyone got any ideas on how join the wire on the servo end? copper tubing or something??? (At the moment im just using heat shrink ...WHAT... Ok... its just a test rig dont want anything permanant )

Im open to any ideas, DOs and DONT's
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17390.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	359073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81776.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	359074   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kq35593.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	359075  
Old 11-23-2005, 04:38 AM
mkeigwin

cool muffer how much . and will it fis a satio 91 don't want to run the os just yet , still and i picked up a cheap 91 off ebay .
Old 11-23-2005, 04:49 AM
m2

i think it was $115USD but im not sure.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:07 AM
intermidiot

hello gents,

Wow, nice exhaust system.. I sent off an email requesting some information. I will post it once I get a response back. As far as the tail gear goes. Can you please let me know what MAKE and MODEL it is, so I can do some research on it. That would help me out a bit. On another note, welcome back to the thread.. totally awesome to have more people here.

Will be back later with more information...
Old 11-23-2005, 08:31 AM
Mustang1964

Thank you M2,
I think I have found my power plant and exhaust.
I also want to say Happy Holidays. I have been spending a lot of time with the family and not building.
I did do some plastic building with my boys. I need to do that more often. I think now they might get into the modeling hobby. I am trying to come up with the money so the boys can build their trainer. To quote Red Green "Keep up the good work and remember we are in this together"
Mustang
Old 11-23-2005, 10:32 AM
intermidiot

Hey guys...

I am being told by a experienced p51 builder that I should consider using a [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEMJ6&P=ML]YS110[/link] for my engine instead of what I am considering using. What do you guys think? I want to invert it. Let me know what you think?
Old 11-23-2005, 04:23 PM
m2

hi heres the link for the gear

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXET15&P=0

As far as engine go i can't help sorry im limited by my budget, if its any help im thinking of the os .9 2 stroke

I think this is the engine that fits the exhaust
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSY82&P=0
but i'd have someone confirm that before u think of purchasing it.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:02 PM
BradSD

Hey,
He is concerned about the inverted operation of a two stroke. It is a bit harder to get a reliable idle and smooth transition from an inverted position. The YS has a pump so it doesnt care how or where the tank is located. I have heard good things about the YS engines but have not personally owned one. My P-51 had an inverted engine and it ran very well after spending some time with set up, so it can be done. Four strokes seem to handle the inverted position better than a 2 stroke so keep that in mind as well. I plan to side mount my 2 stroke this time around and use a bisson muffler. I dont mind having to cut the cowl a little more as I am more into flying and less into looks. Any of these engine choices are good ones, Lots of 2 strokes doing just fine upside down. Learning to tune the engine is the key.
Later,
Brad
Old 11-23-2005, 11:02 PM
mkeigwin

that is the os that i put in my bird . motor can be hard to learn how to tune . i have gotten realy good at them . i have been into heli's for the couple of yrs. and they don't fly real well if they die. and they will burn up real quick if you run to lean . the 4 cycle sounds so much better than the screaming 2 cycle if you look at some of the pic i posted back last page you can see my motor in the cowe now when i get that cool muffler it will sound like the real thing i hope. i have not been working on it waiting for stuff for tower hobbies to get here . but this week end i should have the wing done . and then just finish up the radio stuff and then time to glass it .
Old 11-24-2005, 01:30 AM
intermidiot

Hello gents,

OK... well after careful consideration.. This is what I have decided to do and the reason why.. Finally..

Yesterday I contacted Kelvin over at [link=http://www.keleo-creations.com/]Keleo Creations[/link]. Kelvin contacted me back via email and stated that he would call me for any questions I had. About 1 hour later Kelvin called. About 2 hours later we got off the phone. I have nothing but total respect for this bloke. He was informative, friendly and knew his stuff. It was really a pleasure to talk to him and to learn about the how, what, where's and why about what he does. This is not the type of person who will tell you what you need to hear to purchase their product, but someone you feel who judgment is on the up and up. It was great talking to you Kelvin.

Now that I needed to say cause it is not often you meet people like that. So, I hope that you guys can also get interested in that exhaust above and contact Kelvin. Here is why.

1. No Header or Muffler is needed for your engine if you go with that exhaust
2. Based on our conversation yesterday, measurements and testing on the phone. It was concluded that this is what you need to purchase for this [link=http://www.keleo-creations.com/Mustang3/OS-91-man.htm]P51D - TopFlite 1/7 size kit - Exhaust[/link].
3. This WILL work with a 3.5 and 4 inch Spinner
4. This WILL ONLY work with 4 Stroke Engines. There are NO 2 Stroke Exhausts. Another-wards, you either purchase a 4 stroke, OR you cannot use the exhaust above.
5. 4 Stroke engines like the [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEMJ6&P=ML]YS 110[/link] Sound more scale, have more power and require LESS tuning since they have a PUMP tank placement is not as critical.

And the list goes on. Basically, I am saving in parts and time by spending an extra 200.00 over time. I basically create a better solution and the need to take less aspirin. Now this my opinion. But after the conversation and after careful consideration I have decided to once again change my
[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTW0201P?FNAME=&LNAME=Koochis&CITY=&STATE=NJ&COUNTRY=000&EMAILAD1=&submit=Submit+Wish+List+Look-Up]WISH LIST[/link] for the setup above with that exhaust.

I am writing this and changing my wish list next, so please check back if you do not see any changes in the next few minutes. Keep in mind I will not be adding the exhaust to my wish list, cause it is not sold over at Tower. But I assure you it is on it.

If you have any questions about what was discussed on the phone with Kelvin, please ask. I might be able to answer it.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:43 AM
m2

just to confirm that price

any ideas on the postage to australia

Did he mention anything about the extra weight? and the balance points? what engine size did he recomend would the .9 struggle with the added weight + that of retracts etc.... and only the bigger engine of 1+ would be better (does that make sence [:'(]) Does it have any effects on prop sizes.

Hey intermidiot
just a question on your wishlist, whats the micro servo for? (just incase i've missed something)
Old 11-24-2005, 10:25 AM
intermidiot

Here is the response I got from Kelvin,

Yes that is the price, and the exhaust weighs 3.2 oz, 1 oz over the stock Saito exhaust. As for the prop size there is no effect because this exhaust does not restrict the engine at all. The little bit of weight that this adds to the plane does not affect its flying at all.

In regards to the engine size, after a seriously long and informative conversation on the tele with him, he really suggests a 4 stroke engine. However, whatever you decide on it is best that you just contact him at his website and make sure the engine you have chose will work with this exhaust. He is quick to respond and on the ball...

The micros servos on my list are for my FLAPS. If you go back 1 page to page 9 of this thread you will see my servo list and what they are for. Hope this helps.

Old 11-24-2005, 08:25 PM
BradSD

Your gonna have some major bucks in that bird before it is done! Do you plan to use the exhaust in a scale manner, another words will the exhaust stick out of the cowl area? That will be cool as can be if you can pull off a nice clean install.
Brad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.