Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build

Old 05-01-2006, 01:55 AM
Jimmbbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build

ORIGINAL: tdstaf

hey guys here are some more pics of the A model mustangs (to be kitted soon) .....
OK... enuf of the teasing How bout some more details??!!

You know, size, weight, engine, likely release date, approx cost... you know, the good stuff!!
Old 05-01-2006, 02:18 AM
tdstaf
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK
1/8 TH SCALE 55.5" WING SPAN, 48"LENGHT WEIGHT AS SEEN 7LBS 14 OZ 32.5 OZ PER SQ FOOT WING LODING. PROTO TYPES FLOWN ON AN OS .70 AND YS .63 WITH RETRACTS, FLAPS, LANDING LIGHT 2 SERVOS FOR FLAPS, 2 SERVOS FOR ALIERONS, 1 SERVO FOR INNER GEAR DOORS , 1 SERVO FOR LANDING LIGHT AND SWITCH, AND 1 EACH FOR THROTLE, RUDER, AND ELEVATOR.APROX RELEAS DATE JUNE -AUG 2006.PRICE $220-$250 US ALL BALSA PLY CONSTUCTION GLASS BELLY SCOOP TOP SCOOP AND COWL. AIRFOIL TAIL SURFACES. HOPE THIS HELPS WEB SIGHT WILL BE UP ABOUT SAME TIME.

TIM
Old 05-01-2006, 03:24 AM
tdstaf

BYE THE WAY? HOW DO I GET A PIC POSTED ON THE SIDE UNDER MY NAME?

TIM
Old 05-01-2006, 09:51 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

ORIGINAL: ticketec

Hey dionysusbacchus,

How did you find the CoG with the servos behind the cockpit? I was thinking of installing mine forward of the cockpit and using sullivan golden rods to actuate the rudder and elevator, because of the tail heavy warnings people have posted here.

Your p-51 looks great! Those scale props are a must for the static photo's aren't they. Really makes the model look awsome.

I really like the look of your drop tanks. What are the chances of getting a set of those for my girl???? Out of interest, what bomb drop mechanism do you use? I have the one available from Tower Hobbies, and use it on my P-38, but have just got some from Hobby Lobby that can with bomb for the same price as Tower's mechanism alone.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/atricks.htm

thanks
The servo's are not that far from the stock location, so I don't think it will matter to much. The P-51 has more than enough nose to compensate! I did not make the cockpit go all the way to the wing, it's just deep enough to fit the discontinued Top Flite pilot figure. I was then able to fit the air tank below the cockpit.

Those bomb drops look great, are they like the old Vortac mechanism? Are the hooks the same? Post some pictures of them so I can see! Can't beat the price, although the bomb is not scale at all, I make my own anyway. Thanks for the link.

I will be updating my site to include everything I currently make, you'll have to check it in a few weeks. Shipping to Australia is very expensive, but if you want a set I can get them to you.

Dion
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34943.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	453673   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76824.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	453674  
Old 05-01-2006, 10:10 AM
dionysusbacchus

hey guys here are some more pics of the A model mustangs (to be kitted soon) And thanks for the compliments.
What 3 view did you use as a reference to design and build the Mustangs or did you use a 3 view? I'll only pay $250 for a kit if it's very close to scale because just making a new cowl and changing the center section leading edge for the Top Flite P-51B would be an easy task for a semi scale model. I'm just trying to figure out what market you are tying to target with that kit, don't know if there is room for another semi scale P-51 and an expensive smaller one at that! Just some food for thought..

Dion
Old 05-01-2006, 05:39 PM
tdstaf

Hi Dion. To answer your question they are taken from Bert Kinseys detail and scale for the out line. Its not just another stand off scale model. I dont understand why kits are made with things that are not accurate when it takes just as much time doing it wrong as doing it right. with exception to air foils because the one on full size may not fly well on the model. The idea behind them was to make them to the out line and fly like a sport model but truly looks like what it represents. All comments are welcome weather we use them is up to us(lol) as there are so many individuals in this hobby it is hard please all. But all efforts are made to be as true as possiable. As I built plastics for years and those modelers are even more critical. I hope that all will be patient and our web site (if all gos well should be up soon) will explain in more detail where we are coming from. Thx Tim
Old 05-01-2006, 05:53 PM
tdstaf

Another thought on A model mustangs . Things that have to be changed. top scoop, lower cowl. leading edge wing root, wing fillets. location and size of belly radiator scoop, exhaust stacks( scale resin will be in kit), tail surfaces are fabric covered not metal as on B & D models. all the things the scale modeler wont have to do. hope this is the information you are looking for. Thx Tim
Old 05-01-2006, 06:00 PM
dionysusbacchus

Good man Tim![sm=thumbup.gif] I was hoping you would say what you did. I personally like 1/8 scale, it's a nice size on the old WWII fighters. I can't wait for your site, to see what you are up too!

Sacramento is a nice area, we were stationed at Mather AFB just before it closed. Nice club they had on base.

Dion

Old 05-01-2006, 06:15 PM
tdstaf

Hey Dion our concept is to be all 1/8 scale not just built to engine or wing size. all planes proportional to each other. sitting next to one another a P 47 is much larger than me 109 at least thats the idea any way. I saw the corsair very nice. maybe you will like the bearcat then. So how lonrg were you here? I was stationed at McCellan. and moved here when i was a teen,dad was in the Air Force to.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:17 PM
tdstaf

And they fit in your trunk>
Old 05-01-2006, 08:42 PM
Jimmbbo

BYE THE WAY? HOW DO I GET A PIC POSTED ON THE SIDE UNDER MY NAME?

TIM
Go to MY ACCOUNT, select MY FORUMS, go to the bottom of My Profile, check UPLOAD MY PICTURE

Max 7kb size, so you may have to do some tweaking if you have a favorite 640k pic...

Cheers!

Jim
Old 05-01-2006, 09:01 PM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Dion,

Your telling me about shipping!!!! I normally buy my stuff from the US because even with shipping, it's still cheaper than my LHS.

How much will the tanks be?

I use these bombs on my smaller scale electric models because the size is closer to scale there.

Thanks

Old 05-01-2006, 10:56 PM
Live Wire

Opperational doors for those big hole in the wings that cover the wheels or did I miss this some where. It is not that hard but did not see where any one put them on the 1/7
Old 05-05-2006, 01:22 AM
niceguy1817

hey guys i got a quick question i am building the mustang kit now and i am now just getting ready to sheet the stab and in the manual it says to refer to the manual for sheet skin shapes but i look at the plans and cannot find it anywhere can any one please help would love to get back to the build thanks again
Old 05-05-2006, 07:18 AM
lpseboot

gentlemen your builds are going very well as far as counter balances go they made movement easier for pilots since these were still cable controlled from tiller stick and rudder from floor pedals i didnt incorporate them in my build three years ago because as you see i built a sunday flier if you want doors on gear burry them as far as you can in wing and beef up with c shaped ply piece between ribs in bay supplied mounts may last 3 good landings... on blacktop i cut 3/8 aircraft ply in shape of a square u put in between ribs of gear bay and glassed to upper sheeting and adjacent ply rib doublers make sure angle follows original slat mounts for proper gear placement i went with bell crank on ailerons but will probably cut into wing later for individual servos only due to wearing of socket and possibility of poping lose i prefer 2 strokes so i went with a cheap st.75 and hung muffler out side...(have bad habit of lean runs)can dispose of when its toast i used century heavy duty with 4" tires had outer doors only but removed them getting grass stained and chips my stang wieghs in at just over 11 pounds and flys on rails goes were you point it balloons with flaps but can be programmed out with some down added on elevator ys 110 will fly it nicely as far as your first impending flight at least its not a corsair

Name:	Ki19502.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	456304  
Old 05-07-2006, 07:22 AM
ticketec

Hey niceguy1817,

The diagram you are looking for is on page 10, middle of the page. Jut a rough guide as to how to cut the sheeting out...

Well,

Finally got back onto my Mustang. I layed some fiberglass on the landing gear area to make the gear doors. I used Jamie Duff's idea of some heat shrink film on the surface before laying the glass. I also put some automotive canubra wax down to ease the removal after the resin had gone off. I tried 2x 6oz cloth with a 9oz in between them. Still pretty weak, so i can jsut imagen how floppy Jamie Duff's 3x 3/4oz would have been!

I have just check the next lay-up i did and this time i used 3x 9oz cloth between 2x 3oz cloth. i Also ensured 45 degree cross weaves in the glass this time. Very rigid, maybe a little too much ( i'm thinking of weight saving). If you lay if up again Jamie, I would try the 3x 9oz and see how that goes.

I glassed a fairly large area, which means i will hopefuly throw away a good portion of the glass, but the first layup weight was 110g the second was 190g..... If you came inbetween those two weights and throw away half the material they i would be pretty happy with that result. I'm just going to use the heavier one unless the "composite technicians" at work agree that i can get extra rigidity from another layer of glass (or carbon) on the lighter one.

anyone who has experience in glassing wings.. Would i be better off glassing the wing and then cutting out the retract holes in the skin or can i do them now? These will be my first glassed wings.

thanks

Name:	Fd91584.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	457327  
Old 05-07-2006, 07:38 AM
N1EDM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ticketec,
Nice description of the lay-up process. Thanks. I'm in the preliminary stages of a P-51 project (won't be done for another year or so). But, I had an idea that I thought I'd toss out here for discussion.

On the question of rigidity, what if one were to lay in a panel of soft 1/16" balsa between two layers of 9 oz cloth. Balsa itself isn't all that rigid, I agree. But when sandwiched between two layers of cloth, I wonder what the outcome would be like, for both rigidity and weight?

Just a thought...

Bob
Old 05-07-2006, 09:20 AM
lpseboot

n1edm,i used ply provided with balsa skin for shaping correctly then glassed them.ticketec wing looks great ive always found it easier to cut out wheel wells first then glass but thats prefference either way works on this plane i tried the polyurethane method of glassing and was impressed with method it really is lite wieght method takes paints well
Old 05-07-2006, 12:49 PM
N1EDM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks... how was the rigidity compared to an all-glass LG door cover? Was it better, or about the same?

Bob
Old 05-07-2006, 09:43 PM
lpseboot

bottom on each door are starting to chip a little dont know if its from initial contact with mother earth or small stones on runway(grass) i removed them for now but very rigid i used a piece of pvc pipe sch60 with 1/2" i.d. drilled small hole in tapped for 4-40 and screwed door to it attached upper end of door with cut piano hinge so as door opens and closes pvc slides to position works better then ball link as door is not allowed to twist refer to gallery photos you can see small white collar on gear pg3 guy with blue newyork shirt is me
Old 05-16-2006, 09:07 AM
ticketec

Hey Guy's

Have been working a little on the mustang but not posting. I have decided that i spend too much time here on the forums drooling over everyone else's models and never get much done on mine!!

After printing out scale gear door patterns again i found out that my first printed set were a little to small. This also meant that the glass i layed up was also undersized so, to cut a long story short, 3x 9oz glass is perfect. weight came in at 140g. perfect. So Jamie, your initial thoughts were dead on!

WARNING!!! I have just discovered that "scale" sized doors will not work! The inner doors extend from the wing mount bolt holes to about 1-1 1/2" past the main spar. I do not want to cut the sheeting off the main spar and also don't want to expose the bay behind it either... I should have sized the printout to the plan and i would have spotted it straight away.

I'm going to reduce the size of the inner doors/ and the outers a little until they fit in the TF gear area. I'm also trying to locate some off set hinges for the door but to no avail yet. Any ideas?

Still haven't got the cockpit kit......

Hey Dion, when are your tanks going to be available? do you have a link to your site?

Thanks

Name:	Ec89138.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	462307   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82123.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	462308  
Old 05-16-2006, 10:48 AM
ticketec

Ok,

Done some more work, here are some pic's so that you can see how much i have recessed my retracts. They are in pretty far, but just sitting there so the final "wheel" depth might not be as good.

I have also cut out the gear doors and have resized the doors to suit the TF gear cavity. The things we do to make life easier....... A fair bit smaller as you can see by the "correctly" sized one beside it.

Well, better go to bed because it's nearly 2:00am here!

Thanks

Name:	Ay74420.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	462330   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39099.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	462331   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30116.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	462332   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh11518.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	462333  
Old 05-17-2006, 12:42 AM
shafs

its

Looking good mate.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:40 AM
ticketec

Thanks Safts,

I got a little more done today. I'm going to get stuck soon if i don't find some off-set door hinges for the inners. Even though i can go on with the fuse ( and i have started it) I would like to have the wing finished before i move on.

Hopefully i'll get the gut's to decide where the gear will finally sit tonight and bolt it down. The next set of photo's are just loosely install gear and doors to see how it should come up.

thanks

Name:	Tr50993.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	462768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35662.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	462769   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57836.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	462770  
Old 05-17-2006, 03:07 AM
shafs

Hi

Its looking good. last week my landing gear turned up from tower hobbies they are very fast only took three days from the US !!

Did you get the cockpit you orderd yet?

shafs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.