Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sterling PT-17

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sterling PT-17

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 08:20 PM
RCPILOT78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sterling PT-17

I finaly flew the stearman number...( 47 )...and all I can say is magnificant....It literaly as we use to say (( it flew of the work bench))..I advanced the throtle gave it a slight right rudder and she climed in a gentle right turn to altitude.....you guys who are building the kit all I can say .... no engine thrust angles are needed....and follow the incident lines on the planes and she will fly ,,((((( NO TRIM ADJUSTMENTS WERE NEEDED )))))....Landing was just as uneventful also ,, just line her up on the runway keep slight power up until you flare and reduce to idle and she will kiss the ground in a three point loading....This one flies exactly the same as my first sterling stearman did way back when..The Saito 91 is more than enougn power I even used a 15/8 prop for a scale look....The wire gear with the bracing handled the rough grass field I fly off of very nicely...Without the bracing the stock wire will bend and eventully collpas....My stearman weighed out at 11 lbs,,,but I can see that even 12 to 13 lbs would be no problem for this bird....Picutres of number ( 47 ) are posted in my gallery...any questions about the plane are welcome....Its so nice to have a kit turn out so well....too bad stearling quit kitting the plane....I saw a greatplanes stearman at our field once and Its scale look is not as good as this one....you do have to work to achieve better scale lines to the sterling stearman but it is not difficult...
Old 08-20-2006, 10:31 PM
whstlngdeath
My Feedback: (15)

RCPILOT78,
That's a gorgeous-looking Stearman. I have a opportunity to buy a built Sterling Stearman, but the current owner is having a problem getting it off the ground. He's using a Evolution .60 2s and the tail won't come up off the ground. He says the CG is correct, but is not sure of the wing incidences. I'm not sure he still has the plans. Can you check your plans and tell me what the correct CG range and what incidences are called out for the wings and the horiz. stab? I don't want to buy into a nightmare plane, even though it is very well built and covered. Thanks,

Jesse
Old 08-21-2006, 09:38 AM
RCPILOT78

whstlingdeath...the plans show 4-3/4 back from the leading edge of the top wing..that is where I balanced my stearman..the incidence is 2 to 3 degrees positive bottom wing....0 to 2 degrees positive top wing...my plane weighed in at 11 lbs. but remember the stearman bi-plane has a lot of drag and I don't think a 60 size engine is enough...sounds like he is not getting up enough speed especially if he is flying off of grass....I am running a 90 4c with a 15-6 prop that is enough very efficeint..you would have to go to a larger 2 cycle engine a 75..or 80 and a larger prop..the other thing you have to be concerned with is, did he beef up the landing gear...without doing that the gear is so weak it will cause nose overs and poor ground handling...other than that the plane is very stable flies slow and scale like..and remember this plane is big for a 60 size bipe. a bigger engine would also help the cg..
Old 08-21-2006, 09:49 AM
RCPILOT78

whistlngdeath.....in my previous post I forgot to mention the horiz. stab.incidence ....it is 3 degrees positive
Old 08-22-2006, 05:30 AM
whstlngdeath

Thanks for the info. I think it needs a bigger engine, too. If I do get it, I'll use a .90 OS four stroke that's been waiting for a new plane.
He did a beautiful job building and covering it, it's a shame to not see it fly. Thanks again.

Jesse
Old 02-23-2007, 10:12 PM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread is getting old... but wanted to add that today I came home with a Sterling Stearman through a bitter-sweet deal. I've always wanted one and this one came free.

A gentleman came to the flying field this week and announced he had a good bit of RC stuff and just couldn't trash it.. It had been his fathers and his mother had held kept it all but she had recently moved to an assisted living care center and the son had to clean out her garage to sell her home. Among several planes in stages of construction were some in the box kits including the Sterling PT-17.

I ached for the gentleman that didn't get to finish all his desires but was happy to get the kit. The Stearman was likely the least of the four in the box kits as far as monetary value but there was no hesitation in my choice.

Construction will have to wait however, just finishing a build and have two others ahead,
Old 01-29-2009, 12:55 AM
Twiggy_T
My Feedback: (9)

I just bought a PT17 at an auction and the plans are pretty shabby. Can anyone tell me if the top wing has a positive or negative incidence. Also does the engine have any right thrust and down thrust. Thanks Ed
Old 02-10-2009, 03:41 PM
dauntlessuk

Hi,
This is a very interesting thread I've just found. Like Twiggy, I've just bagged a Sterling PT-17 kit (in the UK) for 2009. Mine will use my reliable Saito 91S four stroke engine for power, although I'd love to be able to try a Saito R90 3-cylinder radial!!! I'd also love some Robart struts but they are frighteingly expensive here in Europe and availability is very poor. Maybe something will turn up - who knows?
Old 03-01-2009, 10:33 PM
bassman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have owned and flow the Saito 90 3 cylinder radial. I would advise aganist it for the Stearman. It may be a .90 but it really only has the power of a .65 while at the same time it has the weight of a 1.20. I have had three of these and although they fly with a .90 I have found a 1.20 is my engine of choice. Swing a large diamter low pitch prop. With the smaller engine you are probably going to need nose wieght anyway.

Bassman
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14848.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1148223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10242.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	1148224  
Old 03-02-2009, 10:13 AM
AA5BY

Bassman... Interesting comments about suggesting a 1.20 engine. I've a PT-17 in the box and decided it will be a great project to begin right after retirement coming soon. I've fallen in love with the Zenoah G20 gas engine for easy starting, low and cheap fuel consumption, and easy clean up and have thought about using one on the PT-17.

I'm currently running one on a Phaeton 90 and it seems well matched to it.

As to struts... I've read that an alternative to the Robarts is to add another strut section to additional blocking (on the next former back ?), wrap and silver solder the strut section to the stock.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:22 AM
vmsguy

ORIGINAL: AA5BY

As to struts... I've read that an alternative to the Robarts is to add another strut section to additional blocking (on the next former back ?), wrap and silver solder the strut section to the stock.
I've managed to secure a couple of these planes over the last year. 1 complete, 1 still in the box... I doubt the Robart struts are available any longer. So something I could fabricate would be worth looking at.

When it comes time for you to work on yours.. I hope you post some pictures...
Old 03-02-2009, 11:24 AM
AA5BY

If I recall, someone posted not long ago that the struts were still available but expensive.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:19 PM
bassman

In the over all scheme of things the $160.00 for the Robarts is worth every penny. They are amazing. I wounldn't build another one of these without them. You can mess around with additons to the stock gear but will never get it as good as these struts After all the time and effort that goes into building one of these why cut corners on the landing gear. It makes the plane a joy to land.

Bassman
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21696.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	1148634  
Old 03-03-2009, 07:59 AM
Michaelj2k

The stock struts will bend and flex on every bad landing which Sterling designed on purpose. Bite the bullet and get the Robart gear. Make sure you specify Sterling as they have a different mounting for the Royal Stearman.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:18 PM
bassfisher
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm finally starting on the 63" Sterling PT-17 that I bought from a guy for $5 almost new in the box. He got it from another guy that was about to deploy to Iraq for his tour. The guy that I got it from had no idea how to build a kit and I'm glad that he just wanted to unload the kit. It's been in my shop for a couple of years. The wings were already built, but I'm still making sure that they are correct. At least it is Ambroid on the ribs. The vertical stab is started (used Gorilla Glue so I'm doing a lot of sanding). Last night, I started on the horz. stab. I'm glad that the loose parts were all put in baggies, so I'm not doing a lot of digging around. Can't wait to start on the fuse! The die cutting is bad, but I have plenty of extra balsa around the shop to make new parts. I'm surprised just how heavy it is, but I've got a .61 that should do the job of hauling it around. Just have to replintiish my stock of sandpaper
Old 04-07-2009, 02:23 PM
vmsguy

In case anybody is interested....

I emailed Ed down at Lazerworks.

I have a complete, unbuilt Sterling PT-17 in the box. I will be sending it, along with plans, to Ed. He said he would try to "replicate" all the shaped pieces.

In theory... once he's done, we should all be able to get a Sterling Stearman from them....
Old 04-07-2009, 04:53 PM
Sharpeye22

Great vmsguy on the shaped parts, but what about the plans, etc?

Sharpeye
Old 04-08-2009, 06:58 AM
Michaelj2k

There's a seller on Fleecebay that has the plans available.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:03 AM
Michaelj2k

ORIGINAL: vmsguy

In case anybody is interested....

I emailed Ed down at Lazerworks.

I have a complete, unbuilt Sterling PT-17 in the box. I will be sending it, along with plans, to Ed. He said he would try to "replicate" all the shaped pieces.

In theory... once he's done, we should all be able to get a Sterling Stearman from them....
That would be nice not having to deal with 10# balsa and lousy die cut sheets.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:49 AM
vmsguy

ORIGINAL: Sharpeye22

Great vmsguy on the shaped parts, but what about the plans, etc?

Sharpeye
I don't know...

I know Fiberglass Specialties has a cowl (http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com/catalog.htm)

They might even have a dummy radial engine that'll work...

As for the plans, I am hoping that Lazerworks will at least make some kind of plans.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:47 PM
Sharpeye22

Hi all,
I e-mailed Eddie Taylor at Lazer Works to see where he was on vmsguy project and what they intended to supply. His answer was:

Thank you for your interest in our service!

Yes it is true that there has been some discussion about working on a Sterling's PT-17 parts package. I'm not sure how the information got out to you, which is quite alright. I wish I had a grapevine that grew that fast on all of my other projects.

As far as working up prices and parts and pieces, as of the time we're writing this e-mail, the customers who is providing me with the information to work from hasn't even provided me with plans or a kit.

But as soon as we have something worked up as far as a parts pack and plans availability, instructions, and graphics, I would be glad to keep track of your e-mail and get back to you as soon as we have something worked up.

Regards,

So it seems they may well be going to supply the plans and cut parts at least if not more. So vmsguy please follow through. I would much perfer to get the lazer cut parts then the die crunched parts of the original kit. And as you said the other parts such as cowl, dummy engine, etc. are readly available from other suppliers.

Sharpeye

Old 04-10-2009, 10:30 AM
bassfisher
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If an when I get mine finished, I'll mail him my plans. Just need his address or e-mail. The build is progressing, but not as fast as I hoped (too many other obligations). I agree with lazer cut parts. My kit must have been die-crushed with a butter knife. That and trying to find the correct printed part. The ink is so smeared on some pieces, it taking me almost as long to find it than to clean it up for glueing! I'm 75% finished with the first half of the fuse! Maybe tonight finish that one up and start on the othter side.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:39 AM
vmsguy

ORIGINAL: Sharpeye22

So it seems they may well be going to supply the plans and cut parts at least if not more. So vmsguy please follow through. I would much perfer to get the lazer cut parts then the die crunched parts of the original kit. And as you said the other parts such as cowl, dummy engine, etc. are readly available from other suppliers.

Sharpeye
The kit will be going out next week.. Promise.. Got family stuff to do this weekend.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:37 PM
rcten

Hi, new to this forum, just aquired a new 40 year old Sterling PT17 64 ws kit. I'm tickled pink with this purchase, she will be powered with a
technopower 7B, which right now is on a Sig Waco SRE for this season. I will attempt to make templates of all die cut parts etc. to share.
Also would like to share my build via this forum.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:48 PM
whstlngdeath

rcten,
That's great. On such a old kit, make sure the wood is still in good shape. I've heard this kit comes out heavy because of their choice of wood. Is the Technopower engine the 7 cylinder radial? That would look, (and sound), awesome. Please keep us up to date on your progress.

Jesse

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.