Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

first build...sig four star .60

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

first build...sig four star .60

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 12:09 AM
cantw8tofly
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first build...sig four star .60

hello all... i am a newbie to all of this....started flying a balsa U.S.A. easy 100 about a month ago. bought it in the marketplace from j jfreestyle . its was rtf good first plane i think. have only about 10 flights on it now because the kansas wind just wont quit blowin long enough to fly. i think just a few more flights and ill solo.

with that in mind i figured i would try my luck at kit building. i have a nice airtronics radio system and an o.s. max .61 layin around so i decided on a 60 sized kit. also did not want to build another trainer because my instructer says ill be ready for somthin more sporty by summers end. i looked at the cap 232 and the cg super chipmunk and wanted one like that but my instructer says its a bad idea for first kit build because the are hard to build.

well i found the sig four star .60 online. talked to a few guys i fly with and they said its an easier kit and that they would give help when needed. well i orderd the kit and all the bits and pieces to get her in the air and got them from the fedex man about 3 oclock today. i had my insructer come over and look at my loot so to be sure i got it all orderd correctly. went to sutherlands and got a big piece of thick foam to pin my wings to why i build them. got right to work withe the wing spars and then the right wing.

all went pretty good except i think i cut to big a hole in the nozzle to my thin CA because it goes every where when i tip it. or maybe it just does that anyway? all went good tho... made sure it was flat and true before i started gluin. i had some bad luck with trying to cut the balsa sheeting strait with a hobbie knife... ill have to get some kind of filler for the small gaps

well here is a couple pics of the first nights progress.....sorry bout the pic quality but pen cam is all i got.....i want to post my progress often so all you pro's can give me some pointers
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32790.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	260874   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23809.jpg
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	260875  
Old 04-21-2005, 06:08 AM
lownslo

Default RE: first build...sig four star .60

Hello, Here are a few things that will put you on the right track. They don't cost that much.... and are really worth the money. These CA applicators will last a long time. When the end gets messed up, I grip it with my needle nose pliers, stretch the plastic end and it will taper out and get skinny... then just cut of the scrap. (DO THIS WHEN NEW TOO!! You adjust the size of the opening this way). Notice in the photo I have a piece of 2x4 with holes in it to store the CA in applicators. I have one marked thin and the other medium. The other hint is get a razor saw set.....especially for cutting across the grain. Home depot also has reasonable prices on straightedges too. I also apply a thin layer of cork the the back side to protect finish and balsa. Other necessary building aids are clamps.... LOTS of them! Here I have several kinds. Sand bags made of zip-lock sandwich bags are also VERY helpful at times. Double bag the sand!!
Good choice on airplane.... good luck.........lownslo
m
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXB970&P=0 CA Applicators
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLJ20&P=ML Razor Saw Set

Name:	Qo39223.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	260906  
Old 04-21-2005, 09:01 AM
fred123

Thin CA is a mess to handle any way you cut it. I suggest, that when you use larger quantities of it, you set up a fan to the side of you to keep the fumes away. Second, your LHS sells a dispenser that has a small tube with a bulb on one end. Buy several. They are great when you get your wings all pinned together to tac with thin CA. You will love your 4*. I suggest you wait until you have done a trial CG before you drill your engine mounting holes. This kit can be tail heavy and require several ounces of nose weights. Good luck...Fred123[&:]
Old 04-21-2005, 09:21 AM
lownslo

Second, your LHS sells a dispenser that has a small tube with a bulb on one end. Buy several. They are great when you get your wings all pinned together to tac with thin CA.
Hi Fred123, See my links and picture in post #2. I mentioned those same basic applicators. Your suggestion about waiting to mount the engine is a good one. I wish I would have done that more than once. I have been in this hobby about 5 years. (about 5 kits and 5 ARF's), and never did I get one that was NOSE heavy. ...lownslo
Old 04-21-2005, 11:42 PM
cantw8tofly

hey guys thanks for the tips.....those aplicators look very handy, i will look into them tommorrow.

already put a fan in front of me to get rid of the ca fumes....... also will look into the razor saw , looks like a good tool to have.....do the blades stay sharp along time??? and can you replace them???

well just got off work ..so gonna eat supper and get back to work. hope to finish first wing tonight

will post more pics
Old 04-22-2005, 05:56 AM
lownslo

Yes..... they stay sharp a long time. I built 3 kits and many, many, repairs and odds and ends, and I finally replaced the set. (it really was not that bad). AND Yes.... you can replace the blades. You will not be sorry you spent the $8.00 for this saw set.[8D] .....lownslo...
Old 04-22-2005, 11:58 PM
cantw8tofly

here is a pic of the right side done to the point where i need the left one done to... so i can glue in the dehidral brace and glue the halves together... the sheeting looks better now because my instruckter told me to cut the sheeting big then sand to fit. that works alot better for me because i cant cut a straight line

well gonna build some more before bed....................more pics to come

Name:	Ge94604.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	261660  
Old 04-23-2005, 02:17 AM
cantw8tofly

hey guys i got another question???.....................is there any ideas you can give me to beef up the joint between the two wing halves???

the dehidral brace is the only thing that goes from one wing to the other. also the supplied fiberglass goes around the outside.

i just was wondering if there is a way to make it stronger? have any of you heard of the wing joint failing on this model?? i just want to be sure it will last a long time.

let me know if any of you can think of somethin................................thanks
Old 04-23-2005, 05:36 AM
CTDave
My Feedback: (1)

I have built 2 4*60's and one venture,if you follow lthe instuctions the wing will not come apart and I have had some powerfull motors on these and put them through their paces with no problems.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:25 PM
fred123

Just use a good grade of epoxy, making sure you get a good coverage. It will be fine. Just did a wing over on the ground with my 4*. Damaged the tip a little, but that was all..Fred123[&:]
Old 04-23-2005, 11:46 PM
cantw8tofly

well here is some pics of the two wing halves. again sorry bout the pic quality. as you can see all i got to do is a few sheets on the left one then sand and i'll be ready to join them

what kind of epoxy is best? i have not bouhgt any yet so some one give me some ideas

both wings are really straight. i pinned them to a nice thick peice of foam when i built them. alot of you told me to get sand bags but i cant see how the could have been used here but i'm new at this so you might have to explane it to me

someone show me some pics of some plane you have built.......................................c ya

Name:	Ig11092.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	262148   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45361.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	262149   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23416.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	262150   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au56461.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	262151  
Old 04-24-2005, 03:22 PM
Test005

Hi
I also did the 4*60 kit as my first build.
Very straight forward and fast build... Check it out:

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2723587/anchors_2725646/mpage_1/key_test005/anchor/tm.htm#2725646]My 4*60 build[/link]
Old 04-30-2005, 12:41 AM
cantw8tofly

hello all. i am still building. just got the wings epoxied together last night. every thing went well and wing is nice and straight

ran into a snag tho............... my y harnes for my aleron servos is to small so i cant finish the wing till i get some extensions so im gonna start on the fuse tonight

more pics to come
Old 05-02-2005, 10:18 AM
fred123

When you put on your aileron extensons on, safety tie the connectors togher with dental floss. Fred123[&:]
Old 05-03-2005, 12:56 AM
cantw8tofly

i was wondering about that. i thought there should be a way to keep the connections from coming undone. great tip thanks

i got the wing almost all they way sanded now and ready for the fiberglass reinforcement in the middle. that leads me to the next question? the instructions tell me to flow thin ca into the fiberglass webbing. will this be good enogh or do you know of a better way???

let me know and thanks for all the tips
Old 05-03-2005, 01:47 AM
heavythumbs

Here is my first kit...it is an electric p-51 from house of balsa...It has been very fun to work on... I am going to try a bi-plane next. Most likley the goldberg ultimate!!!!

Name:	Pn35572.jpg
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	266311