Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Dynaflite SE5A / S.E. 5A / SE-5 / SE-5A / Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Dynaflite SE5A / S.E. 5A / SE-5 / SE-5A / Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 02:20 PM
PfalzPflyer
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dynaflite SE5A / S.E. 5A / SE-5 / SE-5A / Build

I'm seriously considering the purchase of one of these Dynaflite S.E.5a kits. I was looking forward to reading a full build thread on it, but it seems that this thread has kind of died off.

It was mentioned that the tail area needs to be beefed up for landings on grass fields. Does anyone have any pictures of the mods they did to this area? I'm not a real experienced builder (at least, not with balsa), so I'm still at a point where I will happily steal other people's good ideas.

Another question is about engine choice. If a .91 FS is on the low end of the power range, and a 1.20 is overkill, then is there a good choice halfway between? A Saito .100, perhaps? I currently fly electric, so I'm still trying to get "up to speed" on IC engines. Any suggestions or information is most welcome.

Dean in Omaha, a.k.a. "PfalzPflyer"
Old 12-11-2005, 04:28 PM
Prop Nut

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Dean,

I do fly mine with a 1.20 but it is WAY over powered (its just what I happened to have handy when the ASP80 I had purchased for it turned out to be a bad engine), I have seen them fly on OS70's and very well. I am very sure based on the other .91's that I have, that the SE5 will fly fantastic with the .91.

What I did to the tail was pretty simple, I reduced the angle of the tail skid so it could skip (or slide) over the ground instead of catching, the stock configuration is almost at a right angle to the ground resulting it the rudder catching and the hinges being pulled out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90266.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	368343   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44205.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	368344   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36277.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	368345  
Old 12-12-2005, 08:24 AM
jstanton
My Feedback: (14)

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

PfalzPflyer

You'll fing the Saito 100 to be a perfect engine for this plane. I had a Magnum 91 FS in mine and it flow the plane very scale like. Since then I changed the Magnum 91 FS out to a Saito 91 FS for a little more power. The Saito 91 pulls this plane around with a little more power than the Magnum, so your Saito 100 will be even better. I use a 14x6 APC prop on my Saito 91 so a 15x6 APC with your 100 will be even better.

I to had to beef up the tail section on the SE-5a. All I did was install a 1/8 " piece of plywood to the underside of the the fuselage in the rear. I than drilled two 1/8in wholes through the underside of the verticale stabilizer where it mounts to the fuselage. I than used two 1 1/2" screws to secure the underside of the vertical stabilzer to the fuselage and I also used Gorrilla glue. I learned this the hard way after mine was torn off at our grass field after 3 flights.

Here is a viedo on the SE-5a flying with a Magnum 91 FS in it.

http://media.putfile.com/Jim-Flying

Good luck
Old 12-12-2005, 08:37 AM
Prop Nut

Hey Jim, how is christmas down there? Did you start on the Flair kit?
I remember you emailing me that video, it sure didnt look underpowered with that .91!! Looked great. It is still my opinion that you can save yourself a hundred dollars and fly it with the .91 [8D]
Old 12-12-2005, 08:58 AM
jstanton

Propnut

Everything here in Tennessee in very cold right now, but we don't have any of that white stuff (I think you call it snow). How is it is the great State of Wisconson rigth now?. Are you going to have a white Christmas?

I took out the Magnum 91 FS just to see how the Saito 91 FS would work. The Saito does have more power, but she also likes more fuel. I plan on using the Magnum 91FS in the Flair WWI Fokker. I have not started on the Fokker yet, becasue I am hoping to get it for Christmas. I am working on a Great Planes Giant Big Stick ARF I came across for $100.00 and counld'nt pass it up. I just got a Mac 38cc engine for this project and hope to have it done by Christmas so I can start on my next winter project that Santa brings me.

How have thing sbeing going with your flying lately? Anything new?

Old 12-12-2005, 09:14 AM
Prop Nut

Nothing new up here........in Michigan.......too cold (5-15) and too much wind. We are planning on a winter fun fly in January sometime. My Balsa USA Fokker DVII is done (pretty much) and flies great, the four stroke gasser sounds as wonderful as I expected in the air. (I used to fly it on a 100" stick, lol) Here are some new pictures of my Fokker

Name:	Zx71023.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	368769   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97346.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	368770   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59793.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	368771   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb81774.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	368772  
Old 12-12-2005, 09:47 AM
jstanton

That is a aaa-some looking plane you got there. I wish I could get that same kit, maybe some day. You said you have a 4 stroke engine it it. I also saw a flywheel in the engine compartment. What brand of 4 stroke gasser do you have in it? That should make for a very nice show when you fly That Fokker D-VII with you SE-5a. I would like to see some pic's or video when you do.

I am going to be doing a little kit bashing on the Great Planes Giant Big Stick I have. I am going to be adding a cowl and some wing bracing to give it an Eindecker look. She will have a 80" wing span using a Mac 38cc gasser for power. I have planed on doing some mock battles with my SE-5a. I know these two planes more than likely never came across each other in combat, but it should still look great. My friend who took the video will fly one of the planes while I fly the other. Sounds like fun.

Sorry about the state thing. I am not real good when it comes to knowing state abbrivations(MI or WI)and ever state above the Mason-Dixin line kind of all blends together for me.

Hope you have great weather for your January fun fly.

Old 12-12-2005, 10:31 AM
Prop Nut

I am using a Briggs and Stratton 34cc four stroke gasoline engine, I converted several from Craftsman Weed Trimmers. It is a great plane for the engine. I actually built a mate for the SE5 already, the FunAero Albatros DIII. Good looking plane but not as much fun to fly as the SE5. I started a thread on the DVII build under warbirds and warplanes. Here is a picture of my Warbird fleet this summer. The first two are Balsa USA (Fokker DVIII, and Fokker Eindecker (80"), then the Dynaflite (DuH ) and the FunAero Albatros DIII. It is a 64" wingspan, the same scale as the SE5, flies pretty good, no terrible issues, just a fast flier, the wings are not great for lift but it goes where you point it.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_35...tm.htm#3539242

Name:	Vs55412.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	368785  
Old 12-13-2005, 01:27 AM
PfalzPflyer

Well, this plane looked like too much fun to resist, especially at $114.00(US), so I picked one up from the LHS yesterday. Now all I have to do is decide what engine, servos, receiver, and everything else I'll need to finish the plane, and try to get it all together by Spring. Fortunately, I live in the Midwest, so "building season" (a.k.a. Winter) lasts for months...and months...and months... So I have plenty of time.

Old 12-13-2005, 07:53 AM
Prop Nut

Same here Dean, Michigan winters are very...er...good...for building. I used standard servos everywhere, this is a easy flier. I did only two servos in the wings (the plans call for one in each wing half) and linked the lower to the top using 2-56 rods. Two years of flying (this is my regular flyier) has shown now wear on the servos, everything in that department is nice and tight. Just beware of the rudder hinges, with the skid attachted to the rudder you might pull them out on a hard landing. Jim had some good advice on reenforcing the tail skid, all I did was to pin the CA hinges in using toothpicks and that has worked very well since I pulled them out on my second landing.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:31 AM
jstanton

PfalzPflyer

Take your time and make sure you understand each step before you glue anything together. I to only used two servo's for the ailerons and connected the together like PropNut suggested. I have 2-56 rods using higher torque servos for the ailerons. My servo's in the wings are GWS SO3-BB servo's that are rated at 89OZ torque at 6 volts. I am also using a 1800 mah 6 volt battery to power the servo's. Beef up the tail skid section and glue tooth picks into each hinge in the rudder. You'll love this plane. I have talked to many people using engines from a 91 4 stroke to a 120 4 stroke and everyone just loves the way it flys. I bit a small gasser would even fly thing plane well, maybe a 25cc with electronic ignition. What do you think PropNut?

PropNut

Looks like you have a great looking WW1 airforec going there. I to am looking into the Albatross from Fun Aero, but I will wait to see what Santa brings.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:25 PM
Prop Nut

Jim, dont waste your money on the FunAero, you would enjoy a Balsa USA plane WAAAY better (my opinion only, as I own both)
I dont think a gasser would be very good in this plane, the fuse on the nose is very narrow, and with a glow engine the plane weighs 10lb max, it will do any manouver you ask (sorta) with a glow. I am sure it would fly with a gasser but you would be happier with a glow this time.

David
Old 12-14-2005, 08:41 AM
jstanton

David

Thanks for the input on the FunAero Albatross. I'll save my money and get a Balsa USA WW1 kit after I build the Flair Fokker D-VII. I will be building a WW1 Airforce. I of like the 1/4 scale Sopwith Pup and Fokker D-VIII from Balsa USA. I will be putting gasser in them.

I think you are right about this Dynaflite SE-5a Mine weighs in at 10lbs and with the 1440 sq. in. wing area she flys great on a Magnum or Saito 91 using a APC 14x6 prop. I was thinking a Ryboi 31cc with electronic ignition might be a good gasser, but this my be adding to much weight. That would bring the told weight up to 13.5 lbs are so.

Have a great christmas. I hope you all get what you all want.

Old 12-14-2005, 08:52 AM
Prop Nut

You would have to counter weight that engine with lead in the tail, so you would be up to 14-15 pounds when you are done, way to heavy.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:37 AM
Mode One

I should have my SE5a this Wednesday. However, I won't start it until I've finished my "The HOTS". It will be sometime in February, I would guess. I started a thread on this plane in Aerodrome, which has so much less traffic then here, I doubt the thread will last very long.

I was wondering about decreasing the gap between upper and lower wings. Folks have asked here about this, and it appears no one has actually done this, as there has been no responses. I built an Albatros DIII in 1/6th scale from my own plans, back in the 80s. I used a scale, bungyed, hardwood tail skid and was amazed at how easy it was to steer this plane. It steered so well, I could drive it out from and back into the pits. So, needless to say, my SE will have a scale tail skid, which won't be steerable and part of the rudder. What have you guys used for armament? Does some Mfger have 1/5th scale Vickers and Lewis guns? Or, does the kit come with good replicas or plans for building from balsa?

I see the Dynaflite model is the Hispano Suiza version, which was a geared version and has thehigh prop shaft. I plan to model the Wolsely Viper model, lowering the Propshaft, allowing an upright engine installation and plan to power with a Magnum 1.20.

By the way, have you noticed that Dynaflite has shown the American version of red white and blue rudder stripes (red forward, blue aft) and then provides British roundels? I also see a Mr. Dolbey has written to the December issue of AMA's Model Aviation espousing this opinion! I brought this subject up on the Aerodrome Forum and fairly stirred up a veritable Hornet's Nest!! All my plastic 1/48th and 1/28th scale British WW1 aeroplanes and all my Squadron Signals books have the blue leading and the red aft! Who started this opinion? It's interesting to note; actual examples of WW1 aeroplanes exist today, painted, maybe repainted with the blue leading the red and up until the 70s and 80s pilots from WW1 were still around, wouldn't they have mentioned that modelers, historians, replica builders and restorers had the sequence wrong and the red should lead the blue! But, no, somebody has seen fit to re-write history, once again!
Old 12-19-2005, 11:13 AM
Prop Nut

If you are wanting to build a true scale model with all the right details (color scheme in the right order etc) why are you wasting your time with a "Funscale" plane such as the Dynaflite? No flame intended but just to be realistic, this is a "Funscale". Who cares about the proper wing clearance? The proper nose slope(something you didnt mention but this plane doesnt have the proper fuslage profile for the full scale)? There are several dozen issues that this kit has with the full scale version..........but its just a Funscale plane. For fun. Dont take it so serously. I mean no offence to you Modeone or anyone else for that matter, but if you read through all the threads on this plane you will see so many complaints that this plane is not properly scale, colors on the box are wrong, etc etc etc. This is a plane for flying on Sundays (I fly mine all week long) not scalemasters. Mich Reeves makes an awesome scale kit for the SE5a, BoBH is doing an incredibly detailed SE5 for scale masters. This is a stand off scale (stand way off) its just for fun. Can you tell that I really like this plane? Ok, rant over

Leaving the tail skid on the rudder gives you a very steerable plane, it has a tail wheel if you want to use it or, like I did, leave that off for grass use. The more you dress this plane up in scale detail to heavier it is and the worse it flies.

I used a Williams Brothers Lewis machine gun, the instructions show you how to manufacture a realistic looking mount for the top wing. I did not use the later version SE5 with the Vickers mounted on the fuse in addiction to the Lewis. I was pretty happy with the early version single gun.

For a pilot I purchased from Ebay one of the GI Joe WWI fighter pilots for 19.99. He comes with the full uniform and flying equiptment. Goggles, leather helmet, leather coat, etc etc. I cut him off at the waist (OUCH!) and glued him to the cockpit floor. His satin scarf looks really cool blowing in the wind.

The Magnum and the ASP are supposed to be the same motor (just different distributers) and I fly with the ASP 1.20 so I am sure that you will love that engine. I am actually switching mine back to the ASP .80 though.

Again, I meant no offence to you, and I understand your concerns about building a realistic scale plane. This is not a realistic scale plane, its just for fun. Keep that in mind and you will not be dissapointed in the final product. This summer I have met a couple of people that were very very dissapointed in thier planes when they didnt look scale enough or because they added to much weight making it scale that it didnt fly as well as did mine. This was at several fun flies that I attended during the summer.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:41 PM
Mode One

All I did was ask a couple questions about this specific airplane and make a statement about something I found interesting. I never stated I wanted to make an exact competition scale airplane! If I did, however, I have more than adequate skills, abilities and know how to do so!

Thanks for making me feel so welcome here, Prop Nut!
Old 12-19-2005, 04:39 PM
Prop Nut

PropNut actually, not Prop Wash...........although that was my first choice for a nickname on here but it was taken I sent you an email explaining my comments, I apologize again if I offended you, didnt mean to make it a personal attack on you.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:29 AM
Mode One

Having been in this hobby as long as I have, I pretty much am going to do, what I want to do! I have also spent more then a decade in model railroading. Model railroaders coined the phrase "Kit-Bashing" and this idea has carried over into most other areas of modeling. To an extent, I look upon a kit as a starting point to have fun (kit-bash) with and then let my imagination take over. This is what I find to be enjoyable about this hobby.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:04 AM
Prop Nut

Good luck, with alot of kit manufactures I have found that if you build the plane as they say to, it is an enjoyable flier. If you deviat from thier plans.......things can get ugly in the air, lol. Balsa USA is a good example of this. This Dynaflite is another good example from the planes that I have actually seen fly, and several that didnt because they couldnt.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:39 AM
Mode One

Man, Prop Nut, you keep hitting me with these negative waves!

You have alluded to folks making changes and having bad results. I hope these allusions are in reference specifically to the Dynaflite SE5a. Please expound! Don't leave me hanging!

So far all I have done is talk about ideas I have on potentially modifying this aircraft. I have asked for specifics. I have not yet seen, nor heard any substantiated responses! The only modifications I am committed to, is adding a Vicker's m.g. to the left side of the AC and having a fixed tail skid. Many have commented the designed steerable skid/tailwheel is a week point in the design! I'm also going to lower the thrust line so I can mount my engine upright. I may need to add down thrust to accommodate this change. Oh, and the other commitment I'm going to make is having the blue leading the red on the rudder, which is the right way for British WW1 A.C. I hope this won't cause a crash!

I'm only thinking about decreasing the wing gap. If I do, and it makes the airplane totally unflyable and dangerous, I can lengthen the struts and put the plane back as designed, if I still have a plane left after my dangerous modifications!

Now, for the disclaimer! Do not, I repeat, do not make these dangerous modification to your airplane!

Some of this has been stated "Tung in cheek"! Can you guess what?
Old 12-20-2005, 03:46 PM
Prop Nut

I am giving my opinions, and I have every right to do so. You have stated your opinions, and you have every right to do so. I will stand by my opinion, and it is worth exactly what you paid me for it

My original point is this; the Dynaflite SE5 is a funscale airplane. With that in mind, do as many modifications as you like. But dont expect (and I am not saying you would) the finished product to be an easy, everyday flier. It might, and thats great if it is, and it might be a total piece of crap. You roll the dice and take your chances. I personally would rather purchase a Proctor, Mick Reeves, Balsa USA or FunAero kit if I wanted something closer to scale.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:29 PM
Mode One

Money is a factor for me. The others you mention are very much more expensive and take larger engines. I like that this plane is 1/5th scale. You act like I'm trying to pick a fight when I am only stating my opinions, which I am also entitled to.

Good luck David and I have no ill will towards you!
Old 12-21-2005, 07:27 PM
Mode One

My Dynaflite SE5a arrived today. I have rolled out the plans and looked them over. I also checked out the contents of the kit and they look to be good quality. Naturally, I am excited to get started! However, I am committed to completing my current project. I'm going to make a few changes, some for aesthetic, some for structural and still others for simplification reasons. I don't know that I am going to talk here about the changes I'll make, as I have a bad taste in my mouth for the exchanges which have taken place here since I chimed in on this thread.

I will however say; If you have the abilities and know how, let your imagination run wild! Have fun changing things and do not be afraid to experiment! If people were not innovators, we wouldn't have this great hobby to enjoy!

Peace!

Mark DeSchane, Mode One
AMA 59157
Old 12-21-2005, 08:03 PM
Prop Nut

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.