Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Contender build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Contender build

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 06:02 PM
Wynterhawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Contender build

Yep, it was my birfday and I got a TF Contender kit from the misses bless her little heart. So the building board comes out tomorrow! The only thing I think I want to do different than the plans is giving the rudder a little more area. First it is kinda ugly as designed and I think the area is minimal. the alierons look small too but maybe its me. At any rate any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:48 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Contender build

Ailerons are plenty large enough; as is the rudder. If you don't do the upswept wing tip mod, the airplane will flip on its back when you apply pure rudder. With the wing mod, it is as honest an airplane as you could ask for. Add the ventral flap, and it is an amazing model indeed. I miss mine...[&o]

There were several excellent threads on this model some time back. One of them detailed the tip mod, with photos. Take the time to dig up those threads and study them.

And stock up on sandpaper; you're gonna need it.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:02 PM
flmlm

Condraz,

You've made it another year! I've got a Contender tucked away myself. I'm still very much an amatuer rc aviator and builder at this point so I've packed it away for a little while. However, I'm really looking foward to pulling it out and building it, once the bench is clear and after some more stick time. The Contender was very appealling to me both by the unique lines of it and the history behind it. The design has been around for a long time. As Steve pointed out there are some very good threads on this plane that should help you....good luck.

Regards
Mike
Old 04-30-2005, 10:16 AM
Wynterhawk

Steve, Flmlm , Thanks for the reply...I will check out those threads you mentioned.....think there is any interest in a build along for the ol Contender or just a photo when complete??
Old 04-30-2005, 11:33 AM
flmlm

IMO,

You can always learn something from someone else's build, so by all means if you can post pictures as you go along that would be great. Also any opinions you may have on the build as you progress would be greatly appreciated. I've really grown to like the lines of this classic design. Take your time and enjoy.

Regards

Mike
Old 04-30-2005, 12:17 PM
DaveB

I recommend that you use bolts for the nose gear bearing and not the screws as called for in the plans. A hard landing or two on the nose wheel will pull the screws out.

DaveB