Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Somethin' Extra & OS 91 Surpass II

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Somethin' Extra & OS 91 Surpass II

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2002, 11:40 PM
Gbee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Somethin' Extra & OS 91 Surpass II

I just won a Somethin Extra kit. The only engine I have that could possibly work is an OS 91 Surpass II 4-cycle. Is this too much engine? I could mount the elevator & rudder servos in the tail to partially offset engine weight. Maybe scratch a couple ribs and extend each wing half by one extra bay each. Anyone done something like this?
Old 09-30-2002, 03:32 AM
Jetmech-inactive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default se with 91fs

I've had my Something Extra for 3 years now and you'll love this airplane. Mine is from the kit, and have been flying it since new with a magnum 52fs.Plenty of power in this setup. It's only my opinion, but I think a 91 would be WAY to much engine for her. The Magnum 52 takes up most of the motor compartment already and your pretty limited on the fuel tank size with the narrow fuse.

Good luck and enjoy.

One last note, junk the thin tail wheel wire and get heavier type.That's the ONLY thing I had any trouble with. The thin wire flexes too much to give you descent steering control.
Old 09-30-2002, 11:41 PM
flytime56

that's too much engine, and if you want to do 3d, the plane will be much too heavy. i have an o.s 46 fx and performace is great, if you really want a 4 cycle, then go down one size.

GB
Old 10-01-2002, 10:55 AM
Steve Campbell2

Not only is it too much engine, you'll have about six minute flights due to the small fuel tank.

I'm wrestling with this right now. Because of the pre-installed wing tube, the biggest tank we have been able to stuff in the ARF is a ten ouncer. That's only giving 8-9 minute flights on a new YS 63 that my friend has in his. I'm going to put the same engine in mine; the Sullivan ten ounce round tank fits, but the Hayes 11 ouncer just won't go without major former surgery.

We hope the fuel comsumption on the YS gets better as he gradually leans it out, but I'm going to investigate fitting a two ounce auxillary tank. Location is not an issue with the YS.

Anyone else dealt with this?

Gbee, save your pennies for a more reasonable engine. This is one heck of a model, probably the best overall sport model I've ever owned. I built one a few years back, got stupid and sold it, and picked up the ARF last month. It is an absolute blast to fly.

Steve
Old 10-02-2002, 03:35 PM
bwindrum

I agree with the rest of the comments, the 91 is wayyyyyyy to much engine.

I have two of them, both with OS 70's in them and the 70 is a good combo, You will have to move the firewall back about 1/2 in to avoid being nose heavy.

Bob
Old 10-02-2002, 04:07 PM
Gbee

Thanks for the comments guys. The 91 is only 3 ounces heavier than the 70, but I think I'll sell the SE and get the GP U Can Do 3D for the OS 91 Surpass.
Old 10-04-2002, 08:58 PM
da king
My Feedback: (5)

how muck do you want for the kit?

da king
Old 10-04-2002, 09:33 PM
Gbee

Da king,

I spoke to the hobby store owner where my club bought the SE kit, and I'm trading it (plus another $110) in for an ARF - the U-Can-Do-3D. I never liked ARFs, but I bought a H9 UStick 60 and I love it. The quality was excellent. Thanks for askin'