Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Next kit: SIG Hog Bipe OR GP Ultimate Biplane??

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Next kit: SIG Hog Bipe OR GP Ultimate Biplane??

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 01:36 PM
tychoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next kit: SIG Hog Bipe OR GP Ultimate Biplane??

So, I've finished my first kit ([link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2716619/anchors_2716619/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#2716619]SIG SE[/link]) and it's time to think about my next build. What do you think? The [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFG13&P=7]SIG Hog Bipe[/link] or [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJ581&P=7]GP Ultimate Biplane[/link] 40 kit?

How do they compare as far as flying characteristics? and how is the quality of the kit?

Any input regarding these planes is appreaciated.

thanks,

tychoc
Old 06-05-2005, 02:48 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Next kit: SIG Hog Bipe OR GP Ultimate Biplane??

I would say a lot depends on the engines you have. The GP ultimate love a 70ish 4-stroke, while the hog needs a 90ish 4-stroke. (I wouldn't disgrace either with a 2-stroke)
Old 06-05-2005, 03:10 PM
tychoc

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I would say a lot depends on the engines you have. The GP ultimate love a 70ish 4-stroke, while the hog needs a 90ish 4-stroke. (I wouldn't disgrace either with a 2-stroke)
I would buy a new engine for either kit, and apparently a 2 stroke is out. I wouldn't want to disgrace either model...

-tychoc
Old 06-05-2005, 08:13 PM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hog will be more forgiving, easier to see, slower flight, yet still very capable of most aerobatics. Ultimate is a "throw it around the sky, holy cow, did you see that?" kind of plane. It will be quicker and better at aerobatics.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:45 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

I am also considering both of these for my next project. Some at my field say that the Hog Bipe has ground handling problems. Any truth to this?
Old 06-05-2005, 10:06 PM
Roger Q.
My Feedback: (1)

I have built the Hog bipe, and can't say enough about it. Flys right off the board without a hitch. I have a Saito Golden Knight 80 on it, just the right motor. The extra I have flown: a friends: it is a much hotter airplane, in terms of aerobatics, but I still like the Hog bipe: it is stable, it goes where you put it: will do all the basic stunts, and looks great. And, fun to build. Roger Q.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:07 PM
Roger Q.
My Feedback: (1)

Just wrote a note about my Hog bipe: no problems at all on ground handling: grass or hard surface, just wonderful: does want to go to the left, as do all tail draggers, but basically it is great on the ground. Roger Q.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:28 AM
Dsegal

FlyingPilgrim has it right. Do you want your pulse rate at the redline (Ultimate) or smooth graceful flying (the Hog bipe). There are no ground handling problems with the Hog. Like any taildragger, just open the throttle gradually and hold a little right rudder on takeoff.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:33 AM
Connery

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny you should post that question this weekend, as I asked that exact same question this weekend as well. I was talking to our club trainer and expert pilot (seems everyone has him maiden their planes for them), and I asked him which would be better for me. He said after seeing how I fly my Something Extra I would get bored with the Hog Bipe pretty quickly. The Ultimate would be more in line with the way I'm currently flying as it is definately more capable at aerobatics. So as the others have said, it you want something that flys similar to your SE, go with the Hog, but if you want to step it up a little, go with the Ultimate.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:58 AM
hookedonrc

I had the same question as you a few months back. I am building a Hog Bipe with a Saito 100 Gk and have a Hog Bipe Build thread in the Kit Forum. As far as ground handling is concerned, I took a recommendation of another Hog flyer and moved the landing gear forward by 1/2 inch. I included the steps in doing this in my thread. On another note, the hog bipe would be a good "next kit" type of plane since the build is very similar to the SE. Since SIG offers both kits, you will find that much of the building is similar in each. It is a good transition from the SE to the Hog Bipe. I am getting close to covering mine, just have to finish the horizontal and vertical stabs and then get ready to cover.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:10 PM
tychoc

hookedonrc: I've been following with interest your Hog Bipe build thread (including your sons graduation - Congrats) and I can sympathize with you having to build in the garage. The heat and humidity is no better here in Austin[]

From what I gather so far, the Ultimate seem to be more aerobatic and more challenging to fly whereas the Hog Bipe is more doctile and needs a bigger engine. Any comments on the quality of the Ultimate kit compared to the Sig Hog Bipe? I was very pleased with the quality and instructions for my SSE and as hookedonrc points out, the Hog Bipe is very similar.

As for engines, I want a Saito 4-stroke this time, so either a FA-82 (Ultimate) or a FA-100 (Hog Bipe).

-tychoc
Old 06-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Connery

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tychoc,

You could always go with the slightly larger Goldberg Ultimate. It would be a perfect match for the Saito FA-100. What a wonderful engine that is. I have had one in the box for months waiting to go on my TF P-47. Well, last night I finally stopped a bought a prop for it and mounted it to an engine stand. This engine had had never been run before, and it started up on the very first flip. I ran about 32oz of fuel through it last night and the last tank (8oz) was with it adjusted about 1/2 a turn rich and it still ran for over 10 minutes and 1/2 throttle. I LOVE that engine. I will definately get another one to go in the Ultimate I build after the P-47 is complete.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:04 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

I'll second Connery's recommendation. I have a Goldberg Ultimate (my second). I built the kit back in 1992 and foolishly sold it. When the ARF came out, I jumped on it.

I have flown two GP Ultimates. Its a great little airplane, but it is a LITTLE airplane. That means easy to transport, harder to see. Its quicker than the bigger one would be, but you wouldn't have any trouble handling it. It does demand that you pay attention while landing it, though

The CG Ultimate is without doubt one of the most versatile planes I've ever flown. On low rates, the model is as docile as you could ask for, and floats in for a landing just like a flat-bottom high-winged trainer. On high rates with commensurate power, it will wrap itself up into a blurry ball faster than you can blink.

Unless Lanier has made some radical changes, the kit is typical Goldberg; good engineering, a logical progression to the build, excellent instructions. Mine was the third or fourth kit I ever built, so I didn't have a lot of experience at the time, and I had absolutely no issues with it. Two things; you'll need to buy aftermarket glass cowl and wheelpants (same for the GP Ultimate- the Hog Bipe uses neither), and you really need to modify the kit for dual aileron servos. This is not at all difficult, and I believe has been covered in detail in an earlier thread.

If you select this kit and use a Saito 100, make every effort to keep the weight down. This model is really better off with a 120 four stroke, IMO.

Mike, I nearly fell out of my chair at that remark about disgracing these models. My sentiments exactly...
Old 06-07-2005, 09:41 PM
tychoc

Connery, Steve Campbell: I started looking at the Goldberg Ultimate, and it's a great suggestion. In fact, the more I read the better it sounds. It would be nice to move up to a little bigger plane. This would be next "winter" build, so I still have lots of time to do some window-shopping.

If I did this one, then the Saito 120 for sure.

-tyhcoc
Old 06-08-2005, 07:50 AM
LSP972

A Saito 120 would be perfect.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:51 PM
Norm Nestie

Been flying a Goldberg Ultimate for the past couple of years and love it. It has taken a little bashing around)my faULT) but I have come to love this plane so much that I have just ordered another kit. Haven't seen the GP Ultimate in the air but saw the kit as a friend was building one. My opinion only but if you are thinking "Ultimate", make it worthwhile and build the Goldberg kit. You WILL NOT be disappointed.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:52 PM
Navy18

I will put my vote in for the GP Ultimate40..... an excellent bipe; extremely well engineered and a pure joy to fly.... yes, it can do everything but it also settles down to a walk if that is your thing. I have built the hog bipe and after flying the GP Ultimate40 I sold the hogbipe; I was never flying it. I would build another GP Ultimate in a heartbeat if I lost this one.

PS, the Goldberg Ultimate is great also but the value per $$$ is what the GP ultimate 40 is all about. It needs to be stated that the cabane strucure and interplane struts on the GP Ultimate are great.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Old 06-12-2005, 07:21 AM
LSP972

Value per dollar? What does that mean?

The Goldberg is a much larger airplane; with a simple cabane and interplane strut system as well.

Not trying to be combative here; I'm just curious as to what you're getting at.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:32 AM
Navy18

No problem... the Ultimate is less than $100 after the Tower coupon; add in the fact that the OS 70 is very miserly with the glow fuel compared to the 1.20; also, you need almost nothing with the hardware that comes with the GP 40 kit. What I meant was I have spent the fewest dollars on a kit that gives me the largest kick in the "fun meter". I have nothing bad to say about the Goldberg; I loved their Extra300; but, it costs more to operate and with a smaller car, I love the GP Ultimate package.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:42 PM
LSP972

Okay, thanks.