Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

What Kit would you like to see brought back?

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

What Kit would you like to see brought back?

Old 12-02-2016, 03:00 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

I have noticed a trend with the RTFs and ARFs even the larger size airplanes are going to all molded foam or as close as they can get. The foam does away with most of the building mistakes by the cheap labor and makes the airplane even more of a disposable airplane.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:21 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Good Lord, this forum is making me want so many. How about a scale kit series, intended originally for CL, but frequently converted to RC as the radios became smaller and more reliable. They were originally sold as Eureka, Kayeff, K-O, Kyosho, Aristo, and many others, They had a line of CL jets for the Tiger Pulse Jet engine they sold, a slightly larger line of jets for the Dyna Jet, some 33" scale civilian and military for engines .19 to .29,multi engine jobs like a Japanese Betty twin, a C-119, a B-29 with an 82.5" span, and the monster B-36 D, 113", often flown with anything from 6 .15s to 6 .40s with 4 Jetex 150s. I had a number of old Air Trails, Young men, and such showing them being flown at various NATs, rc and cl, with weight into the near 30 pound range. I actually have their 54" P/F-61 Black Widow kit with sprung shock absorbing tricycle gear. Maybe some day with a pair of rc .25s, CL for elevator, and a side radio for throttle and operating light, maybe a sound system for the quad 20 mm ventral and quad .50 dorsal turret.
So many models to build, so little time (and money!)
Old 12-05-2016, 05:53 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by 50+AirYears
Good Lord, this forum is making me want so many. How about a scale kit series, intended originally for CL, but frequently converted to RC as the radios became smaller and more reliable. They were originally sold as Eureka, Kayeff, K-O, Kyosho, Aristo, and many others, They had a line of CL jets for the Tiger Pulse Jet engine they sold, a slightly larger line of jets for the Dyna Jet, some 33" scale civilian and military for engines .19 to .29,multi engine jobs like a Japanese Betty twin, a C-119, a B-29 with an 82.5" span, and the monster B-36 D, 113", often flown with anything from 6 .15s to 6 .40s with 4 Jetex 150s. I had a number of old Air Trails, Young men, and such showing them being flown at various NATs, rc and cl, with weight into the near 30 pound range. I actually have their 54" P/F-61 Black Widow kit with sprung shock absorbing tricycle gear. Maybe some day with a pair of rc .25s, CL for elevator, and a side radio for throttle and operating light, maybe a sound system for the quad 20 mm ventral and quad .50 dorsal turret.
So many models to build, so little time (and money!)

How about posting a picture of that P-61 kit? Even unbuilt it would be worth seeing!
Old 12-05-2016, 06:22 AM
tejasnumu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You folks are all right on the mark. Our hobby has changed from late night building after home work was done. The clock was well past 2:00am many nights trying to get the ribs glued in with ambroid. Stacked balsa nose pieces or wing tips had to be dry before you could work them with a razor and sand paper. My first "multi-tasking" I think. We have given generations games like "Pong" "play station" and cellphones. We didn't know that we were poisoning the well of imagination. As a child I would visit relatives in other states. Give me a corner and a tv tray and I was out of the way. My grand kids visit us by the lake and mope because there is "nothing to do." I am afraid we let the Genie out of the bottle. I don't know a single person that has an interest in my old kits or built models. Lets just enjoy what we have and keep copying plans and building as long as we can. I must insert a negative opinion. I don't care for multi bladed hover craft with cameras. I guess that is why I keep my old fouling piece. Just one old guy's opinion, not very important.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:09 AM
FlyerInOKC

I was talking with the owner of the LHS about all these quads with cameras. He was telling me the prices have been in a free fall for about a year. He said it seems like the cheaper they get and the easier they are to fly, the less interest he sees from customers interested in buying them. They are becoming more like the little trow away foamy RTF and BNF airplanes. The small helicopters seemed to me to have followed the same path. For a while they were all the rage you couldn't go to a mall without seeing at least one kiosk selling them. Now those same kiosks are selling all quads with cameras. I can't help but wonder what the long term damage will be to the hobby.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:42 PM
tejasnumu

If I could make a wish come true, there are lots of .40 and .60 kits I would love to see back but I still have to digress to my early attempts to build anything without following the instructions. Patients was not my virtue for a long time. Unless you had a willing and knowledgeable mentor (I used to envy kids that had dads or brothers to guide them.) many kits ended up badly built and badly broken. The ceilings of hobby shops were my inspiration they were wing tip to wing tip with Sterling CL models, Comet rubber power. Oh gosh the beautiful finishes. So you save pop bottles, mow neighbor's lawns and just about anything to bring home a Comet WWII fighter, tube of Ambroid and dope. It was literally years for me to learn about CG and building light. i am saddened that my own grand children do not exhibit the tenacity or patients. They sit like robots exercising the "apps" on their cell phones. I sometimes wonder what became of the occasional idiot that wanted to light a model on fire to look like a crashed fighter. I broke out my balsa stripper and other scratch tools. Berkeley and Comet..Sterling..and Topflite. Oh well.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:47 PM
FlyerInOKC

I was self-taught too, my early efforts look just as bad if not worse!
Old 12-05-2016, 01:52 PM
tejasnumu

Ahh: but you learned and asked questions. I'll wager that that "don't give in" streak let you eventually build some fun planes.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:08 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by tejasnumu
Ahh: but you learned and asked questions. I'll wager that that "don't give in" streak let you eventually build some fun planes.
It did but it has its down sides. I spent 7 hours yesterday on a partially built Fokker DR.1 inherited from an old builder that passed on. I removed the wingtips from the wings because they weren't on in the correct position I reglued most of the wing ribs to the trailing edges because the joints popped. I removed and replaced the leading edge of the landing gear wing (this mistake was on me). I removed a piece and cut through a couple of ribs to get the cabane wires in place (on me again). I think you see where I am going with this. I did cut leading edge strips and install them to the top and middle wings. I managed to lose a stripper shim inside the tape holding them and didn't find it until I removed the tape this morning. I can really be my own worse enemy at times. Here is a picture.of what I worked on.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100825.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	3.16 MB
ID:	2192371  
Old 12-05-2016, 02:25 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are so many partially built projects like that around now, going for little or nothing, or planes built from kits that once flew, haven't in years, but look tempting to fix up. I've fixed up quite a few of those. Sometimes it's hard to tell at the outset if it's really worth it or not. Some of mine have been successes that I've enjoyed, but then I realize I've gotten away from my own top priorities.

That one looks like a VK Fokker triplane. I can tell you it's not an easy kit from the start, so maybe you're doing better than it feels like right now. I hope it works out well for you in the end. It's a great looking model when finished; some fly very well, some not so much. I think a lot depends on how heavy it comes out.

Jim
Old 12-05-2016, 02:59 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by buzzard bait
There are so many partially built projects like that around now, going for little or nothing, or planes built from kits that once flew, haven't in years, but look tempting to fix up. I've fixed up quite a few of those. Sometimes it's hard to tell at the outset if it's really worth it or not. Some of mine have been successes that I've enjoyed, but then I realize I've gotten away from my own top priorities.

That one looks like a VK Fokker triplane. I can tell you it's not an easy kit from the start, so maybe you're doing better than it feels like right now. I hope it works out well for you in the end. It's a great looking model when finished; some fly very well, some not so much. I think a lot depends on how heavy it comes out.

Jim
You nailed it Jim! It's a VK Models Fokker DR.1. I bought this kit back in the late 70s but never got to build it before getting out of the hobby in 81. It was the kit that go away. A friend in FT. Collins sent it to me after it was given to him. He knew I wanted to build it and he already had a DR.1. I am building it light I dumped the heavy plastic section over the middle wing and will build it out of balsa. I am taking out the Spruce horizontal trailing edge its so hard I can't get a hinging tool thru it. I'll go back with balsa and a little more material to slot the hinges into. She should fly scale the power plant is a Thunder Tiger .46 Pro I just need to get the right muffler to squeeze it in the cowling. This kit is from the early 70s and there have been parts missing etc but nothing I haven't been able to handle so far. Original hardware was replaced with the set Proctor Enterprises ships with the kit now. The original build had built the wings up to about 80 to 90 % and started the fuselage sides. I took over from there. I need to see to the left Aileron linkage it is binding a bit and I can't have it. I would hve to destroy the wing to redo it so I'll have to find a way to fix it. My next WWI project will be to finish a Dornier-Zepplin D1 designed by Dr. Mike Hawkins powered by a classic Enya .46 4C II. Sometime after that I would like to build a set of Ken Willard's Sunday Fighters. They use a constant cord Ace R/C foam wing core which are being cut and sold on Ebay.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:11 PM
tejasnumu

Did he use an aromatic adhesive like ambroid or white glue a loooong time ago. No matter. You look like you are on your way. Got the plans? If so start at step 1 and make corrections till you are caught up. One of the reasons I love wood planes is because you can scarff and re-cut almost from scratch. She will sniff out the sky with a proud pilot below! To stay with the thread I'll through in a curve. I was 13 and fell in love with a Sterling c9 Kit of an f4u1 Corsair (CL) It hung in a hobby shop all dark Navy Blue. The builder had marked all panel lines and detail in white ink then clear coated and buffed it. Hand carved 3 blade prop on a Torp 29. Pretty, oh so pretty. Wanted to build it but the kits are over $100.00 now and I no longer do CL. Any Greenhouse canopy blue/black gull wing set off with white ink stole my heart near 60 years ago.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:36 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Oklahoma, ask and thou shalt receive. Seems I have the rest of the material in PDF, and uploader on this site won't accept them. Let's see if I can just copy and paste.
That doesn't seem to work either. They are also available on the outerzone.co.uk site, with maybe 10,000 or 15,000 other preserved plans and articles. Here's the spun cowlings and the sprung tricycle LG, anyway.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P-61 Kit Box Photo.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	2192380   Click image for larger version

Name:	P-61 Kit Metal Parts Photo.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	2192381  
Old 12-06-2016, 05:06 AM
CESSNA 421
My Feedback: (17)

Taurus, Tauri, and Orion
Old 12-06-2016, 07:13 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by 50+AirYears
Oklahoma, ask and thou shalt receive. Seems I have the rest of the material in PDF, and uploader on this site won't accept them. Let's see if I can just copy and paste.
That doesn't seem to work either. They are also available on the outerzone.co.uk site, with maybe 10,000 or 15,000 other preserved plans and articles. Here's the spun cowlings and the sprung tricycle LG, anyway.
Nice! That sure is a plane vanilla box I remember them well.