Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

RV-4 Owners Please Help - CG/Balance etc

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

RV-4 Owners Please Help - CG/Balance etc

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 05:05 PM
hitcttd
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RV-4 Owners Please Help - CG/Balance etc

Hello everyone. I'm going to start work on GP's RV-4 and was going to modify it so I can move the elevator/rudder servos to the back... I know this is going to throw off balance and I will have to make adjustments, but is it going to throw it off so severely that it's not even worth doing? I've just never been a big fan of tube push rods and wanted to make this adjustment for strength and security. Any help would be much appriciated.

Thanks a lot in advance
Old 06-11-2005, 10:02 PM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: RV-4 Owners Please Help - CG/Balance etc

I built one of these and it balanced perfectly with the standard setup. I would think that with two servo's all the way down the tail you'll need a fair bit of weight on the nose to balance it. You say you want to do this for strength and security. I have never had a problem with my setup and I give my RV a thrashing. IMO all it will do is add excess weight for no gain. I very much doubt you will notice any change in flying characteristics. Just make sure you do the pushrod's properly and you won't have any trouble.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:16 PM
hitcttd

Thanks granted... Well if you say the stock setup will do then the stock setup will do, looks like no mods will be made then. Also, i've noticed a lot of threads on the forums about building this kit, problems, tips etc. do you have any to offer? Anything i should look out for? Any help would be appriciated... Thanks again!
Old 06-13-2005, 04:00 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No major problems. The kit goes together pretty well. Make sure when you make the cowling and the wheel pants that you fiberglass the inside of them. The cowling need is it at the screw holes and the wheel pants need it anywhere you can get it. I just the other week had one of the wheel pants break off at the axle attachment despite that I had glassed it. I'll admit thought i did a slack job of glassing the pants so I guess I deserve it. I power mine with a TT 46. It is a pretty good mix. Not great vertical but good enough for sport flying. You'll only need standard servo's. I used 577's and just recently changed to ball bearing servo's only because I got them at a good.
Oh and make sure you put the flaps on. They look cool as hell and work great.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:35 PM
hitcttd

Thanks a lot for the advice... I'm plannin on one of the thunder tiger .50s... I know i'll have to manage some throttle but i'd rather have to do that than lack power

If anyone has any more tips by all means...

Thanks alot guys
Old 09-18-2005, 12:24 PM
Kfoss1

Any RV-4 owners using full span ailerons and flaperons instead of how the manual reads? I have this kit on the way and I haven`t seen it mentioned in of the threads. Other than the cool factor, it seems like you can get the same affect and less weight. Or maybe that would be overkill. Or I probably should just follow the manual.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:32 PM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

I have about 20 flights on mine now and I have been flying for longer than I would care to admit. This is most likely the best 40 sized airplane I have ever owned!. I built it per plans and it worked out great! The wheel pants and cowl just do not make sense to me, pure junk and need a lot of work to make servicalble, wing tips are a joke and I threw mine away. I put mine together and then used fiberglass cloth applied with pvc pipe cement to atatch the cloth for the wheel pants and cowl. I used two layers of light weight cloth and this worked just fine. I still hate vacuum formed parts! I also am using the plans aileron and flap set up and it is a blast! The plane will crawl in for a landing with the flaps down. Using a Magnum 40 and fly 1/2 throttle most of the time. This is one clean plane and looks faster than it is, which is plenty fast. Stick to the kit and it will reward you with many an enjoyable flight!. Sure wish GP would do something about those vacuum formed parts though!

Enjoy!

JEB