Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

New Kit!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 11:02 AM
samsdad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Kit!

Hey all,

I just ordered a slow Poke sport kit today and will probably begin building it this weekend. Any tips or hints that I need to be aware of before diving into this thing? This will be my 2nd kit. I've also built a 4* 40.

Also, how does this plane handle? I would assume it floats along pretty slow. I love the vintage look of the plane. I plan to throw a super tiger .40 or .45 in it when its done.

Thanks
Old 06-21-2005, 11:14 AM
SlowPoke40

Default RE: New Kit!

I have a Slow Poke Sport kit waiting to be built on my shop. I have heard great reviews also about it. You can you a .46 size engine and have plenty of power. I plan on using a 4 stoke Saito 52 in mine when I start it. i heard it is a easy build but a little tail heavy. You have to build the tail as light as possible and will probably still have to add a few oz of nose weight.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:25 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I built a Slow Poke 40 earlier this year. I picked up the kit when I bought out somebody getting out of the hobby. Originally I hadn't planned on building it. But after talking to a few here on RCU I went ahead and built. After getting this bird in the air I knew it was well worth the effort. I love flying this plane. I power it with a OS 52 4-stroke. It will take off on 1/3 throttle and I can fly for 22-24 minutes on a tank of fuel!!

You are correct when say that it builds tail heavy. I had heard of people that had put in 8+ oz of weight in the nose to balance it. I cut some more lightening holes in the tail and kept the weight as low as I could get it. The receiver and battery are located under the fuel tank. To balance mine I only needed 2 oz of weight in the nose.

When you fly you notice a bit of adverse yaw when you use your ailerons, but with fuselage as short as this is it should be expected. I mix in rudder with my ailerons and it does just fine. It will float forever when it comes time to land it!! My favorite move with this plane is a stall turn. With a rudder as big as this had the rudder really just swaps ends with the nose when you throw the rudder over!!!

You are in for a great treat when you build this plane. Here are a few pics of mine.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10634.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	288008   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44761.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	288009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30170.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	288010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au57232.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	288011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Do83577.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	288012  
Old 06-21-2005, 11:05 PM
Daryl_y

RCken ,
As a life long Cardinal fan I appreciate the wondeful job you did on your covering scheme. GO CARDS
Old 06-22-2005, 05:50 AM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Samsdad,
I assume that you have the origional slowpoke(.15-.25 size). I would NOT reccommend a .46 for it because you'll rip the wing to pieces on it. If this is the .40 size then disregard everything that I right here because I don't have any experience with it and it is a completely different kit. My first reccommendation for the plane is too try to return it NOW.l The kit is pure crap![] I am a pretty good builder and had all three pieces of the wing warp on me. This hurt pretty hard because I have never had this happen to me before or since. The wood is TERRIBLE. It is all low quality. By the time I had straightened out all the wing pannels, I had replaced most of the wood in it. That became very costly. On first flight the wing came out of the holder right after takeoff resulting in a crash. I, in disgust, repaired it and heavily modified the whole plane. The plane didn't fly right still and only has two flights on it because I gave up on repairing and modifying it.
I hope you are able to return it and good luck finding a new kit. Do you have any pics of your 4*40? A good second build would be the Sig Somethin Extra of the Carl Goldberg Ultimate in my opinion.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:12 AM
samsdad

Woops!,
This is the slow poke SPORT kit. It calls for a .40 size 2 stroke. It is not the regular slowpoke kit. As far as the kit being total crap, I'm sure just about every experienced individual that has been involved in this hobby has encountered a "crap" kit at one time or another. In my opinion, I'm sure there are a few lemons out there. However, because you had a bad kit with sub standard wood, doesn't mean that every slow poke kit ever made is that way. I'm not trying to flame you, but I wanted to give my oinion .
Old 06-22-2005, 03:33 PM
50%plane

ORIGINAL: woops

If this is the .40 size then disregard everything that I right here because I don't have any experience with it and it is a completely different kit.

However, because you had a bad kit with sub standard wood, doesn't mean that every slow poke kit ever made is that way.
I haven't heard anything good from anybody about this kit. RCM had the same problems on their review. Again I can't speak on the .40. It's a COMPLETELY different kit.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:17 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

My Slow Poke was the 40 size and there wasn't anything wrong with the kit. I would build another one in a heartbeat!! Totally different kit than the one they are saying is crap.

Ken
Old 06-22-2005, 07:03 PM
50%plane

ORIGINAL: RCKen

My Slow Poke was the 40 size and there wasn't anything wrong with the kit. I would build another one in a heartbeat!! Totally different kit than the one they are saying is crap.

Ken
I'm glad it worked out for you. I might build one some day.