Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Paint for a warbird

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Paint for a warbird

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 10:00 AM
shersteele

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint for a warbird

I am building a Pica 1/12 Zero and need a fuelproof dark green semi gloss paint. The hobby shop paints do not come in the dark green. I think automotive with clearcoat would be too glossy but maybe I could dull the finish a little with fine steel wool. Can latex paints be made fuelproof?
[email protected]
Old 10-15-2002, 12:26 PM
G.F. Reid
My Feedback: (1)

Yeah, if you find the right clearcoat to go on top. That's the key, you've got to test what you put on top or risk ruining a good paint job.
Myself, on a plane that size, I'd use Testor's paint for plastic models. They use exact Federal Standard military colors for Allied and RLM colors for Luftwaffe planes. They also list colors for Japanese and Italian aircraft. Once you find the colors, topcoat it with a fuelproof clear. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm thinking either Chevron or Lusterkote will go on top of Testor's.
http://www.internethobbies.com/inter...iipainbyt.html
Old 10-15-2002, 01:47 PM
jetmex-RCU
My Feedback: (8)

Are you going to use the airplane for combat? If so, cover it with dove gray iron on film like monocote or ultracote. Scuff the film lightly with 00 steel wool and then clean it with alcohol to get the residue off. Paint the upper surfaces with hunter green or dark hunter green Rustoleum--it's as close to IJN dark green as anything else you'll find. It's cheap and fuelproof up to about 15% nitro after it cures, which takes 3-4 days. No clearcoat needed. Stick the decals on and you'll be flying while everyone else is busy mixing paint trying to get the exact color, which will be real hard because no one really knows what the "real" color looked like!
Old 10-16-2002, 09:33 PM
flytime56

i did a warbird last year and found automotive paint to work great on fiberglass. to finish it off and fuel proof is, i used topflite clear coat dull. if your green is dull, then the finish will also come out dull, but it will have a slight gloss because of the clear coat, but it looks great.

happy building
GB