Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Cub 1/5 Scale Engine Mount

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Cub 1/5 Scale Engine Mount

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 03:12 PM
fred123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cub 1/5 Scale Engine Mount

I have started building a Sig Cub 1/5 Scale. I have purchased a OS 70 FS surpass engine and am trying to decide whether to mount it horizontal or inverted. I know that if I go inverted, that I will at a minimum need a remote glow connection. What about muffler exit through the cowl, engine fit within the cowel, problems with low speed idle, starting etc. Or would it be best just to mount it horzontal and give up some of the scale look. I am not a scale nut, I guess in the trade, I am called a "sport scale"... To change the subject a bit. I have built three other Sig kits, and this one is the best yet. I don't know how it will fly, but the engineering and fit of the kit are the best I have seen..Fred123[&:]
Old 07-13-2005, 09:25 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Cub 1/5 Scale Engine Mount

Fred, Ihave the Sig 1/5 scale also, you're gonna love it. The .70 will give you all you need. I can't say exactly how well it will fit if you mount it inverted, I'm sure you will probably have to cut a valve cover relief in the cowl. I have a .65 Saito in mine, mounted inverted, and I had to cut reliefs in mine, although it was close to fitting. You are correct regarding a remote glow connector. The cowl, and the lower edge of the firewall, will make getting to the rear-angled glow plug very difficult. I have an on-board glow system on mine, makes starting a breeze, just flip a switch on the Tx, flip the prop, and it's running. I use a couple of AA sized NiMH batteries in parallel (1.2V) with a capacity of 2000mAh. I can fly 3-4 tanks of fuel without recharging the glow battery, and that is leaving the glow on all the time. I've flown it many times without the system on, it never misses a beat, but I can get about 1000 rpm lower idle with it on (1750-1800 rpm), and it almost ensures no deadsticks, unless I run out of gas[X(]. But a remote plug is really all you need, simpler that way, and less weight.

If you don't care about the scale detail, mount the engine sideways, just run the exhaust down the side. The exhaust on my Saito is the older style, had a steel elbow and a spun aluminum muffler. I had to heat and bend the elbow so I could exit the muffler out the bottom of the cowl, rather than the side, I wanted as much scale detail as I could get, and didn't want big holes in the cowl.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26982.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	297008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je11159.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	297009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41964.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	297010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fy72440.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	297011  
Old 07-14-2005, 05:33 AM
Dr1Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cub 1/5 Scale Engine Mount

Mount the engine in its right side. The valve covers will mimmick the Cub cylinder heads. You can then use a dummy plastic engine on the left side.

Dr.1