Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Since this is about kit building, what are you building?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Since this is about kit building, what are you building?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2002, 01:43 PM
FlyingDutchman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Since this is about kit building, what are you building?

My winter project is a Tower Hobbiles Extra Special .40. First kit for me (after one ARF trainer). All parts are built up - just waiting for my slot machine to arrive so I can start putting 'em together.

One "problem" with the kit - the fuselage center piece (plywood/birch die cut center) arrived pretty warped (nose was about 4" off center when looking down center line). I had to steam it out twice to straighten it.

Anyone else have kit problems like this?
Will the steam straightening hold up over seasonal temperature changes (spring/summer/fall).

The kit also came with pre-formed aluminum landing gear that seemed pretty narrow compared to my forgiving Avistar trainer - any thoughts on this? should I modify it in any way (fiberglass/widening the gear?) I fly out of a fairly well maintained grass strip so stability of the gear is important.

Good luck to everyone with their kits!
Old 01-09-2002, 02:15 PM
John Wells
My Feedback: (10)

Default RCO

I'm just about finished framing up a Pica 1/8 Corsair. It's a neat laser cut kit with options for retracts and flaps.
Old 01-09-2002, 05:20 PM
jetmex-RCU
My Feedback: (8)

Just finsihed a Global PT-19 and am currently working on an Aerotech profile Hawker Hurricane. There's a Royal Ju-87 restoration and a Cambrian Spitfire Mk24 waiting in the wings.
Old 01-09-2002, 06:09 PM
gpmikemorse-RCU

My winter project this year is a Tiger2. So far, the kit has been a dream. After building the laser-cut CheckerboardAir Classic, I thought I'd never want to go back to a die cut kit, but the Tiger2 has been great.

Covering has been a *****, though. The white Monokote doesn't want to shrink properly, and I had never done thin parallel stripes before, and they didn't come out parallel. I'm using Metallic Blue trim over white, and the trim solvent is smearing the color from the blue all over. When I try to clean it up, more bleeds out!

Despite eating hundreds of McDonald Happy Meals, I have yet to find the right pilot for the plane. I thought Sully from Monsters, Inc. was going to be perfect, but he was a little too big, and I couldn't get the guy with the one big eye.

So, I don' t know if this is going to be a plane to show off my building skills at the club meeting, but I can't wait to fly it!
Old 01-09-2002, 08:34 PM
brc007
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dazzler

I am finishing up a GreatPlanes Dazzler. I just have to cover it and install the servers. I am going to put a ThunderTiger 46 in it
Old 01-11-2002, 12:45 PM
FilipM

GP Super Sportster 40

The building is mostly done now except some stuff in the nose, hardware installation and covering.
Old 01-11-2002, 08:52 PM
wynterhwk

I am also building a Wally Wing wich is a flying wing made from a Walmart foam glider. Man what a blast foolin around with that! Next will be a coroplast 40 size bird...still pondering the configuration.

Paul
Old 01-12-2002, 01:15 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

explain this wally wing thing
Old 01-12-2002, 03:00 AM
RCPilot100
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Carl Goldberg Sukhoi - Last CGM kit

I am currently building a Carl Goldberg Sukhoi - the new and improved version. I had one the past three years until someone turned on at a meet in Canada this past fall. I really like the way the plane looks and flies, but I have had more 'bugs' in this kit than in the past 10 I have built - and I am getting no help from CGM. There has to be something wrong with them because in the past they were top notch in service. I am also finishing up on a 1/3 scale Lanier Laser, recovering one of my 35% Carden Extra's, rebuilding a DC Kaos 60 and scratch building another, and am waiting for 2 Mini-Lasers to show up so I can build them and fly in the front yard.

Dan
Old 01-12-2002, 10:00 AM
Q8SABRE
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GP F14

Finished in two weeks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	931_1137.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	1227  
Old 01-13-2002, 02:08 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Cool.......

Looks fast just sitting there!!!! Two weeks eh? Get any sleep???

Jerry
Old 01-13-2002, 09:35 AM
Q8SABRE

Default 4 hour a day

I worked 4 hours a day. kit building finished in two weeks.
I m finishing it now. will post another pic when done.

yes Tailskid, I slept like a baby
Old 01-13-2002, 02:48 PM
John B

Default UHHH.....well

got to looking around, nothin new to build, but, a whole mess of planes to rebuild. Oh well, such is life.
John
Old 01-13-2002, 04:59 PM
BladeRunner
Banned

Default What's up?

Well, lets see. I have a Sig 1/4 scale Cub about 80% done,(this is my first airplane) a Byron Glasair RG that I bought built but I'm waiting for an engine to come and I have some Ram nav/strobes and landing lights to go in yet.

I have a Marutaka (Royal) Boeing Stearman still in the box 68" WS. I have a pattern plane w/ an Enya 45 that I got at our club auction for $15 w/engine! It flys pretty good for a cheap plane, BTW, it's so old and so many have owned it no one can remember what it is! It has a fiberglass fuse and balsa covered foam wings.

Now the good stuff! hehehe, I have a few Nexus 30's, a concept 30 that will be in a Bell 222, a JR R-22 Robinson w/ OS 50, 50% done. A Vigor CS still hiding in the box! A Concept 60 newly built by someone else,but he is a new newbie and I will have to dissasemble and start fresh-no disrespect to the guy he just never built a heli before and made some common mistakes.
An Augsta 109-A 30 size fuse-maybe a Nexus home.

A Kavan Jet ranger (60) that came with a new engine and looks like it was never flown-I rescued it from a barn rafter!! Poor thing was haning there for about 10 years I was told!!

As you can see I have a lot to do, for several reasons I couldn't get much done this year. Oh ya, I'm also building a new shop at the back of my yard, just a little one; 12 x 16, but it gets me away from the house and it's about 85% done, then I will move a couple of projects at a time in there and maybe get something done-if I can stay off-line!! ---------BladeRunner.
Old 01-14-2002, 04:21 AM
mefly2
My Feedback: (6)

Default GRUMMAN F3F-2 GULFHAWK(kindasorta)

I just registered tonite, feeling a little silly(NEWGUY). Any way, figured I'd tell you about my Gulfhawk! O-K, it's really a kite made by Squadron. Pretty cool though, spruce frame(looks like a profile), silkspan covering, 48" wingspan, and it's supposed to have enough lift to fly a 20'x1' banner behind it! Maybe, don't know yet. If anybody else has tried one I'd like some feedback.

Also building a 1/5(71")scale Sig Piper Cub, have it framed, not covered. Nice kit, could really use some updating though. Well, that's all, gotta finish my kite and try 'er out!
Good to be here on RCU !!!!!

P.S.: Any suggestions on covering for my Cub? Thought about 21st Cent. Fabric, what do you think?(Never used it, work good?)
Old 01-14-2002, 12:48 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 21st Century Fabric

Hey Me, I mentioned this in another thread, that my very first covering job was on a Tower Trainer .60 RTC. I used 21st Century Fabric, it is easy to use and the plane turned out great. Since that I have covered a Bruce Tharpe Flyin King, two Sig LT .25's and am going to cover an Adrian Paige Super Cub with it.
Old 01-14-2002, 06:40 PM
jpflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Default Sig Cub

The Sig Cub was my first scale subject about 20 years ago. All those sticks! I just could not believe it was going to look like a Cub. But it did, and man did it fly great. By the way, at 71 inches it would be 1/6 scale (36 foot wingspan full size, 6 foot wingspan model). Enjoy building and just think about how great its gonna fly!
Old 01-15-2002, 03:45 AM
stevta

Default Just built US Aircore trainer

My first plane. Flew yesterday with buddy box.
This has been on my list of things to do for several years. My nephew w/o dad and I can do this together. Sure was disappointed when he didn't receive that new electrical in-door gadget for xmas. But he was almost as excided as I yesterday as he got to fly too.

The kit was a monster to tackle on my own but lots of fun. My latest mistakes were front wheel on backwards and servo push for up elevator instead of pull.

Who said money can't buy you happiness :-)

Now what can I put together next? I have a VMAR T-34 Mentor low wing trainer that arrived last week. Haven't opened the box yet but its on the calendar. Probably be almost summer before I'm ready for her.
Old 01-15-2002, 11:14 AM
mefly2
My Feedback: (6)

Default Thanks for input

Thank you hobbsy, my Cub will be fabric. I saw your thread and appreciate the input. I'd love to see your Super Cub when finished !

And jp, you caught me! I don't know why I keep thinking it's 1/5 scale: almost bought a 1/5 scale pilot. My plane is probably the same one you built. Plans say 1975 and the kit includes bellcranks for solid wire aileron linkages(going to swap for NyRods though). I know what you mean about all those sticks, even though they do come together nicely. I'm glad yours flew so good, I fly mine(just as good, of course)every night before I fall asleep. So much for counting sheep!!! Thanks again

Congrats to everyone on these pages, sure are a bunch of incredible airplanes made from a pile of wood!
Old 01-16-2002, 09:52 PM
Dave Barrow-RCU

Currently building a Top flight P-47, Balsa USA Enforcer with Ducted fan conversion plan. Scratch built Raven 88" w.s.. I had back surgery two weeks ago and am currently getting around the first floor with a walker, can't get down the stairs, I am dying to get to the basement. I'll just have to be satisfied to hang out here and read old RC mags. till I recuperate enough to get down there.AAARRRGGGHHH.
Old 01-16-2002, 11:56 PM
kmac

Default building and surgery

Hello Dave,

Know the feeling about not gettin` around. Had my left knee
replaced in October, and I am just now getting around decently.
It`s to the point where I can go up/down stairs by myself. Gone are the walker, and the crutches. Started working on the planes
last week. List as follows: .....some are arf`s, sorry!
1- Gee Bee R2 by Adrian Page
2- Enduro by Tufflite
3- Aeroworks Edge 60/90 arf
4-Northwest Hobby Technologies Corsair(be here this week)
5-Laser Models Arrow
That`s it...for now.
Dave, hope all is well during recovery!

Kerry
Old 01-17-2002, 03:41 PM
aaa-RCU

Default Morris Hobbies 60 Su-Do-Koi

I agree with you on the quality of the instructions. I will be powering mine with the MVVS .77. I will let you know how it works.

Originally posted by RC_Junky
Just completed framing up a Morris Hobbies .60 Su-Do-Khoi. Great kit, hardware package & Instructions, not so great. Hope it flies half as good as they say. Going with a Saito .91 or a MVVS .77 for power, not sure yet.
Old 01-17-2002, 05:02 PM
Philip

After fixing up the shop ( I got kicked out the house) and repairing my Sig 4*40 I will be building a sig hog bipe with a Saito 100 on the front and perhaps a smoke system.
Old 01-18-2002, 10:45 AM
Ragz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default kit building

Hi,

In between a few repairs I am building a Balsa USA Bristol M1 and have a Kangaroo waiting in the box. I am collecting the hadware and avionics for the roo....

Please go to my website to see the bristol project (ongoing)

Anurag
Old 01-18-2002, 01:37 PM
bwillhite

Default Current Project

I am in the middle of a Top-Flite AT-6 Texan, Gold Edition. I will be trimming it in the AreoShell teams trim pattern. It will be powered by a MDS .78 Pro, have Robart retracts and maybe a sliding canopy. The canopy will at least be removable, I have that white 'fog' that also seems to collect under my canopies after flight number two and before the big Fly-In!

After that I will be working on the Rich Uravitch OV-10! Twin!

Later

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.