Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Calling ALL Kavalier Builderes n Flyers

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Calling ALL Kavalier Builderes n Flyers

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 07:39 AM
DBono99
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling ALL Kavalier Builderes n Flyers

Hi All I'm thinking of building a Sig Kavalier.. Would like to know what engine would be good.
I was thinking TT pro 46 or a Mag 52 4/S or maybe a 40/45 Super tiger?? I'm looking for a nice relaxing plane to fly.. I have the Kougar,MidStar, and 4*40. I also have a Komander which I think is a bigger version of the Kavalier..Just want another nice flying plane.
So let me hear your thought's and suggestion.

Thanks Dan
Old 07-14-2005, 09:21 AM
flmlm

Default RE: Calling ALL Kavalier Builderes n Flyers

Dan,

I've just recently completed my build of the Kavalier. Overall it was a pretty mild build with good instructions and plans. With the Kavalier kit you won't get any laser cut parts, however everything fits pretty well and there is only some light carving in the form of the wing tips. The tough part for me during my build was getting the fit of the pre-formed cowl matched up with the engine. Unfortunately I butchered up my cowl.

As far as power plant I'm using an O.S. Max 46ax but at this time I haven't maidened my Kavalier yet so I can't really comment on the power characteristics to this point. Hopefully I'll get my Kav in the air this weekend and I'll let you know how it performs with the 46. I would think that your TT pro 46 would do you just fine though.

Regards
Mike
Old 07-14-2005, 10:45 AM
donkey doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello; although it has been a few years now, since I flew the Kav, I used a Saito 45 in mine. It could have used more power, but it was what I had at the time and it worked great in there. That plane flies so well that (I think) almost any 40 size engine would please you. It is very similar, in flight characteristics, to the Mid-star.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:54 AM
Mturowski

Any good 2 cycle 40 size should work fine. I have seen used an HP Gold Cup 40 with good results. I used both a K&B 40 (#4011) and OS 40 FSR in mine with good results. That should tell you how long ago I built this, mid 80's. It is a good solid machine and is a good second plane. I never tried a 4 stroke, but any good .52-.56 should work. I don't know how much larger you could go without causing a balance problem.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:58 PM
chris_in_montreal

I'm building a Kavalier right now and have opted for a Webra .50, however this will really be overpowered. There are two other Kavaliers at my club one is fitted with an O.S. .40 LA and the other with a .40FX. While the LA fly's the Kavalier well my observation is it just lacks that little bit of power while the FX seems a very good match.

With my Webra .50 i have had to make some mods to the build in order to accomodate the length of the engine beneath the cowl. I've been in touch with another Kavalier owner here on RCU who has fitted a .56 Saito too and did a similar mod.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:41 PM
ZeppelinIII

I have one with a 46FX. I think it's about the perfect combination. Any 40-46ish with decent power will give you a great flying plane...
Old 07-16-2005, 07:37 AM
DBono99

Hi All Some one's giving me a Kavalier Kit.. But it has no instruction manual or 1/2 of the ribs for the wing. Can any one help.. I did build the Sig Komander, which I believe is simular to the Kavalier.

I would like to know the wood size for the wing ribs?
And if any oine can helpe with a manual?

Thanks Dan
Old 07-16-2005, 09:20 AM
chris_in_montreal

If ypu have the plans they include templates for all the wing ribs
Old 07-16-2005, 01:38 PM
DBono99

Hey Guys
Thanks for the fast replies..What I need to know is the wing wood size..1/8 or 3/32 or whatver.. I have some 3/32 and alot of 1/8.
Should have the kit tomorow . The build has got to be like the Komamder.
Heres a pic of It if i can get this work.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22939.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	297858  
Old 08-02-2005, 06:52 PM
DBono99

Hi Here's a pic of my just finished Kavalier..Irvine 40 11x4 APC 10% Omgea.I made some mods to the plane. Made It a trail dragger, mounted the engine on it's side,added wheel pants, took about 1" out of the dihedral..Hope to get it in the air this wek end.

Dan
Old 08-02-2005, 06:57 PM
DBono99

Opps here's the pic

Name:	Fd90731.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	304840  
Old 08-03-2005, 05:23 AM
chris_in_montreal

Sweet job you've done with the Kavalier, and from the dates in your thread only took you just over two weeks!!!! puts me to shame, mine's been on the bench since last november []
Old 08-06-2005, 05:45 AM
DBono99

Hi Guys I'm having a little problem with the CG on the Kavalier. Can you tell the measurment for the CG at the Wing tip?? I went in 3 1/4 by the fuselage and tried to carry that out to the tip. Well now I have 3 measurements at the tip??

Thanks Dan
Old 08-09-2005, 03:47 PM
gutmark

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been flying mine with the same ST .29 since the late '80's. Flies well - it's not a speed demon but it is not a dog either. My flying field is at 4000ft and I haven't had any problems.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:15 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Kavalier with the Saito .56 and it is plenty of power with the APC 12x6. It is a perfect match. If you put the battery pack behind the servo tray area, back in the tailboom part of the fuselage, you won't have any CG issues. Plan on an 8 oz tank because that is about all the size you have for one. Mine will run over 15 minutes with that, so no problem. Extending the balsa from the firewall about 1/4 to 1/2 inch is pretty straightforward to lengthen the cowl area.

I only have about half the dihedral that the plans call for and it tracks straight, very straight. It has perfect downlines and uplines. My next one will not have any dihedral at all and I may put 2 aileron servos in the wings.

CG is 3 1/4, 3 5/8 (sport), 4 1/8 (aerobatic). Measure at the fuselage and not the tips. Wing tip measuring will throw you off. I have flown at the first 2 forward points so far and haven't tried the aerobatic CG point yet.

You may want to reinforce the fin with tri stock if you want to tumble the plane. The Kavalier will tumble easily with great looking results. However, I'm a little worried about the fin strength on mine. This was my first kit and I didn't know a lot of what I know now.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:02 PM
Meathook

hi guys:
built and flew my kav. over the last two years with an o.s. .46fx. nice power, even at our 6000'. covered/painted fuse with monokoted wing. my son is a graphics artist, so we broke a guillow's glider, scanned it, and made identical markings to fit the big plane, even the profile pilot which i installed inside the canopy. the plane flew so well that i am working now on expanding the plans to 140%, about a 78" wingspan scratch build. the challenges are going to be the ribs (differing sizes, but i know what i'm going to do), the cowl at 140%, and mostly, that curved canopy. i am going with the same scheme- -going to look like a dime glider. oh yeah, power. am going to use a 3W 28, with a canister buried in the fuselage. i am posting this here mostly to motivate myself to get this thing underway. there goes this winter!...
Old 11-17-2005, 08:52 AM
flmlm

Meathook,

Sounds like your having a good time with your Kavalier. Your winter project should be a winner as well. The challenge of upscaling the Kavalier should keep you occupied for the winter. How do you plan to construct the cowl, shaped balsa blocks? Might be a good opportunity to try your hand at fiberglassing your own cowl? Good luck on the build and keep us posted.

Regards,
Mike
Old 11-17-2005, 11:56 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just finished building one for A club member for our racing class, it maidened last week. It used A TT PRO 46 and it's A real hot rod. The only real mods I made to it was build very light and very straight. I installed A pull/pull rudder with my home made system. Used carbon fiber rod for the elevator. I always assemble my planes completely before covering then Move the gear around to find the best place for it to CG. This plane was nose heavy when I had the gear in the places I wanted so I just drilled 3 inch holes through the wing sheeting until it CGed how I wanted it.
A very good kit with great wood. Due to it being an old design it had A lot more labor then the newer designs. You do have to shape the wing tips and the leading edge. I also used two aileron servos and changed out to some better hindges and went all the way out to the aileron tips to hold down any flutter.
The Kaviler has A fuel tank location problem as built so I installed an 8oz. tank and have it up as far as it would go to the top of the tank compartment. A bigger tank will fit but it will have to be mounted low.
All in all it was A fun build and A great flying plane.
Good luck with yours.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:06 PM
jmikesh
My Feedback: (5)

KAVALIER...TAIL DRAGGER...PULL PULL ON TAIL WHEEL...FOAM WING FROM WING MFG[img][/img]

Name:	By76425.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	366417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16059.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	366418  
Old 12-07-2005, 04:13 PM
flmlm

jmikesh,

That's a great looking Kavalier! The wheel paints set it off! Good Luck with the maiden. What are you using for a motor?

Regards
Mike
Old 12-07-2005, 09:44 PM
gutmark

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Been flying mine since the late '80s on the same ST.29. Currently I'm flying at 4000' - don't seem to have any problems. I don't do any hanging on the prop but loops, rolls, etc are no problem.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:45 PM
bdenman

Wantabee Intermediate flyer here. I have a NIB Kavalier on order and was thinking I would use an OS-46LA on it (formerly used in a now defunct Avistar). However, seeing that many here have reported using engines that are more powerful (and heavier) than the LA engine on their Kavs, I am now questioning that plan. I have an OS-46AX that I am using on a Kadet LT-40. Should I plan on using the AX engine instead? If yes, is the heavier weight (~5oz more) a help or a hindrance when it comes to finessing the CG?
Old 01-12-2006, 01:55 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

bdenman,

Back in 1979 the Kavalier was my second plane. I had a K&B .40 in it and it was all I could handle at the time. It was more than enough power for the plane. I can't be certain but I've got to think that the LA .46 is at least a little bit if not significantly more powerful than the old K&B .40.

That said, if I were to build one today I'd put at least a AX .46 on it. However, I'd be looking for more flight performance than what is typical of a "second plane" trainer. I'm willing to bet that the LA .46 and AX .46 will fit on the same motor mount. They may even have the same mounting hole spacing pattern and dimensions. It would be a simple task to set up the plane to use either of the motors. That way you can fly it with each and see which one you prefer.

As for the balance issue, I cannot remember if I had to add lead using the K&B. Sorry I can't help you there.