Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Who's seen an Air Flair "SkyMaster 60" Bipe

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Who's seen an Air Flair "SkyMaster 60" Bipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 01:13 PM
kolarshooter
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's seen an Air Flair "SkyMaster 60" Bipe

The SkyMaster 60 Bipe is a handsome looking plane. Anyone know anything about them?

[link=http://www.airflair.com/flaircat3.html#SkyMaster-60-Bipe]LINK[/link]
Old 08-03-2005, 04:50 PM
jspencer
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Who's seen an Air Flair "SkyMaster 60" Bipe

I've got one in the bones that I picked up as a kit off of ebay. I'm just waiting on a Saito 100. It is a very light model, the 100 may be pushing it. Here is the link to my site and it has a few pictures of the build.

[link=http://www.spencerdomains.com/index.php?page=hangar&seltab=hangar&subpage=skymaster]Skymaster Bipe[/link]

If you haven't built many planes, it maybe a little much to handle. There are no pictures, just instructions. Make sure that you label all of your parts, (mine were numbered already) go through the instructions and put the part number next to the part name that the instructions are talking about. Read each step two or three times, and read a few steps ahead so that you know what is coming. You may want to figure out something different on the cabanes, they are a little complicated (soldering required) and be tough to get everything lined up like it is suppose to be. Also on the fuse, just take your time and make sure that everything is lined up and it will go together straight and pretty easy. I framed mine up in about two weeks in the evenings I just have the cowling to build on the front, but need the motor to determine where I want everything to be, do a little final sanding, cover and final assembly. If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them. I can also take some more pictures of whatever you are interested in knowing more about.

James
Old 08-03-2005, 05:32 PM
Spad_man
My Feedback: (8)

jspencer

Nice web site. Nice looking planes.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:54 PM
jspencer

Thanks for the compliments Spad_man.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:44 AM
kolarshooter

James,

I had actually found your website yesterday (gotta love Google and Yahoo) and I see you added more pics. Excellent!

Any idea when you might be able to submit a flight report?

Thanks guys!
Old 08-04-2005, 10:09 AM
jspencer

kolarshooter,

I wish I could say soon, but I'm just getting started on building our house and it will be taking up most of my time for the next 7 or 8 months. I should have it ready next summer, but that doesn't do much good right now. I will tell you that it is a light plane. The only parts that are ply or hardwood (spruce) is the spars, mounting blocks for the cabanes, struts, landing gear mount, tail wheel mount, firewall and wing bolt plates, all the rest is stick balsa and sheeting and very light at that. May even be able to get it to hang on the prop. The wings still have a little flex (twisting motion), but covering will take care of that. It is a little boxy, but that is typical of the era that it is modeled after. If it flys as good as my Sig Pig, I'll be happy.

James
Old 08-04-2005, 12:24 PM
kolarshooter

I'm in no hurry either. It would just be great to get feedback on its flight characteristics.

There are more and more laser-cut kits coming out which are well thought-out and which shouldn't be as difficult to build as this plane seems to be (given the lack of illustrated instructions, etc.)

Hard to find a nice bipe kit in this engine-size range. Do you know anything about the Balsa USA Phaeton II? That would be a great candidate for my Saito .65.

Good luck finishing it off.

[link=http://www.balsausa.com/kits/kit.htp?id=35&shopperid=]Phaeton II[/link]
Old 08-04-2005, 02:50 PM
jspencer

I think that the skymaster kit that I built was actually all cut by hand. If they were able to do some laser cutting and add some jigging to assist in the build, it would definitely be an easier kit to assemble. The Phaeton looks like a nice kit and is in the same size range as the Skymaster. The price for the phaeton is definitely easier on the pocket book and is probably much easier to assemble.

When I get to fly it I will post my report here.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:32 PM
kolarshooter

Might lean toward the Phaeton. Any other planes in this size range come to mind?

I'm all full of 3D stuff...a fun bipe to fly in a more "scale" manner would be a fun change.

Good luck finishing your build.