Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Going electric with Great Planes F-14

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Going electric with Great Planes F-14

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 04:57 PM
DaveJohansen
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going electric with Great Planes F-14

OK any thoughts about this idea. I've got a Great Planes F14 kit to build but I'm toying with the idea of trying to change over to a electric motor as opposed to nitro. Any suggestions on an electric motor that would work to replace a .60-.91 glow engine and would I get enough speed that this plane needs? Maybe the electric is a bad idea but I'd like some suggestions froom guys more in the know.

Thanks
Old 03-18-2010, 10:16 AM
whizzard
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Going electric with Great Planes F-14

Just bought a Great Planes F-14 Tomcat already built and well used!

I am going to try to electrify it and wondered if you ever finished your electric conversion.

I think I am going to remove the retracts and build with solid mounted undercarriage to simplify the conversion since I think I am going to use the main retract boxes for my A123 6s2p (about 20V) - 7s2p (about 24V) battery boxes.

They are near the C/G and also are large enough to hold 6 or even 7 A123's if I decide to go up to a little more voltage.

I have a Balsa USA 6 ft wingspan EAA Bipe that I am using a Trinigy 50mm Dia by 65mm Magnets, 400 rpm per volt motor so it will swing a 14x10 prop at about 8000 rpm on the A123 6s packs or 9600 on the 7s. Should be enough power for the F-14 Tomcat.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:34 PM
DaveJohansen
My Feedback: (8)

Haven't done a thing to it. Kit is still sitting on the shelf. When it comes to electrics, all teh specs are just "greek" to me.

Dave
Old 03-22-2010, 03:37 AM
whizzard
My Feedback: (2)

If I ever get time from repairing crashed planes that I am trying to fly, I will try to post my experiences of converting the F-14 Tomcat and hope to get pics of the conversion.

Might be late this summer or during the winter when I don't like to fly below 50* F,

Bill