Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

engine? 4 a Cloud Dancer kit

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

engine? 4 a Cloud Dancer kit

Old 10-21-2002, 11:08 PM
DBono99
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine? 4 a Cloud Dancer kit

Hi I am starting to build a CD from one of Aces old kits. it's the same one as the RCM has the plans for..I have the RCM plans
Two questions 1. would a OS 40LA be enough to fly this plane in a nice relaxing sort of way.
2. Are dual wing servo's needed. I did some research on Goggle, and there was lots of talk about flutter,With just the 1 servo?
Thanks Dan
Old 10-23-2002, 01:20 AM
Maximus-RCU
My Feedback: (38)

I built a Cloud Dancer from plans in RCM and power mine with a 52 four-stroke. I modified the tailgroup so they are more square instead of the triangle shape shown on the plans and installed retracts as well. I have a single servo running torque rods on the ailerons and never have had a problem with flutter, and it flies very fast. Maximus
Old 10-23-2002, 11:42 AM
thomaskj

I built mine from the ACE kit some 8 years ago. It still flies well on a 46FX. I have never experienced any flutter problems, neither before or after I modified it with two aileron servos. Two aileron servos are not really needed on this plane either, you should be able to achieve nice axial rolls by providing some mechanical aileron differential using only one servo.

I think the CD might be a tad underpowered with a 40 LA. If you are going to do any kind of aerobatics I would suggest a ball bearing 46 instead.

Oh, and if you're flying from grass, forget about the wheel pants, they will only make her nose over. :-)
Old 10-23-2002, 05:47 PM
hebertjj

I just flew my CD40 ARF for the first time last weekend. It has an OS .46 FX and very spritely performance. A .40 LA is quite a step down in performance, but would probably let you fly around "in a nice relaxing sort of way". The nice thing about the CD40 is that it is light and has more wing area than most sport 40 planes so you could get away with a LA40. I'd recommend a hotter .45 though. Love the way mine flies and I just throttle back to fly around in a nice relaxing sort of way.

I have just one aileron servo (Hitec 425 dual BB) and rolls are very fast and precise. I used the torque rod setup, with metal clevises on both ends of the pushrods so that the fit in the servo is very tight. I used a wheel output on the servo to get mechanical differential on the ailerons (more up than down).

What plan number and/or issue of RCM was the CD in?

Howzat,
Joel