Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Skylane troubles...

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Skylane troubles...

Old 08-23-2005, 12:47 AM
jetboy2003

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skylane troubles...

Hey, guys

I am building the Top Flite Skylane and have recently finished the wing. I joined the 3 wing segments together as reccomended in the kit with 30 min epoxy and put plenty of weight on the center and tips to build in the polyhedral. Once it was all dry (i left it sit for a day under the weights) i sheeted the bottom center section and the bottom left portion. Again i used plenty of weight to be sure the polyhedral didnt change. The problem is, i was doing some other fitting today and i discovered that the covered half wing tip sits about 1/4 to 1/2 inch above my table when sitting on the center jig tabs. Is this a big problem or can i build that out when i sheet the top half of the wing? I really dont want to have to tear my plane apart to fix this, so let me know if there are any alternatives.

I will try to get some pics tomorrow.

Thanx
Dan
Old 08-25-2005, 07:10 PM
jetboy2003

Default RE: Skylane troubles...

Here is a picture, sorry for the wait.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23196.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	315043  
Old 08-25-2005, 08:11 PM
Live Wire

J B
You can dampen the out side of the skin with windex and rewieght it and let it dry. Put about a 1/8 ' block under the low side so it will give a slight twist the opposite direction. Then go on with you covering
Old 08-30-2005, 12:35 AM
airsteve172

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I strongly suggest that you check and recheck and recheck again everything including the flatness of your building surfaces and the dimensions of the temporary support blocks under the center section of the wing. From the look of the picture, the wing appears to be quite flat and I find it hard to believe that skinning the wing would induce THAT much deflection. Before you go ahead with attempting any corrections, make sure you completely understand what went wrong, otherwise you might be attempting to correct a problem that wasn't a problem in the first place.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:59 PM
jetboy2003

The surface i joined the wing on was very level cement (used the garage floor, building table wasn't wide enough). After some close analysis, i believe that the jig blocks at the center of the wing are my problem, had to remove them once, and i beleive i glued them back in the wrong place. Both sides actually appear to be even, and i do have plenty of polyhedral in the wing right now, so it must just be sitting on the jig blocks wrong.

Thanx guys