Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Cap21 72" Kit

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Great Planes Cap21 72" Kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 06:08 AM
mrfliboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Cap21 72" Kit

I recently acquired this kit complete except for plans. I am now looking for plans. Great Planes no longer have them available. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance Jon.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:09 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Cap21 72" Kit

Jon,
I've just spent about 10 minutes looking [link=http://www.greatplanes.com]Great Planes website[/link] and I've only been able to find one listing of a Cap 21? Is your kit fiberglass? If so then you may have a hard time finding the plans and manual. [link]http://www.greatplanes.com/parts/discontinued.html[/link]

Spend some time looking on their website because I may have missed your exact plane. All of GP's manuals are available on their website for download, you should be able to get the plans for the planes from Great Planes if you call them.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 09-02-2005, 09:14 AM
mrfliboy

Already checked with Great Planes no plans available. It is the all wood 72" kit. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:17 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok, sorry that I couldn't be of more help

Ken
Old 09-02-2005, 02:41 PM
JimTrainor

How old is it?
Just curious. It sounds interesting.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:14 PM
mrfliboy

I believe its mid 80's vintage
Old 09-02-2005, 10:00 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

make sure when you build it, you get good cooling to the engine. Mine got really hot. Sorry, I don't have the plans any more.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:50 PM
geno472

Hello, replied to your PM but I do not know if you got it or not. I have the plans and several kits so if you want to borrow them or have me copy them at your cost I am all for it. You can call me at 240-298-2600 or email me at [email protected] either way I will need your address and how you want to handle it.

Gene
Old 09-03-2005, 07:46 AM
mrfliboy

Thanks Gene I'll contact you this weekend.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:21 AM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fliboy,

This kit was introduced in 1983 I believe and had a really hard time becoming popular. The reason??? Just like the .40 size Cap 21 that GP developed first, the .60/1.2 size would snap roll if you looked at it the wrong way... even w/the CG set exactly where the plans stated!! This is not to say it was a bad design, in fact, it was a great design that could do a really nice job in IMAC contest patterns. The problem is that the pilots were not used to flying an airplane that instead of a nice stall.. they got a wicked SNAP ROLL!!! and they would try to land it like a Kadet, and all of a sudden ...BOOM>>>>. There were 3 built in my club, 2 of which lasted less than 10 flights... mine was just plain ole worn out...... I do fly pattern and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if you have a very thin symmetrical airfoil... that it takes AIRSPEED to fly it. I think the main reason I had little or no problem was that I used to fly a Sterling Rimfire... which has EXACTLY the same habit.... a wicked airplane that in the right hands is really great to fly. Good Luck with yours.. keep up the airspeed... and put on a good show... you have the right plane.

Dan

Carolina Custom Aircraft
The following users liked this post:
jdmachinery (01-19-2023)
Old 09-06-2005, 05:43 AM
mrfliboy

Gene is getting me the plans. Thanks Gene. I'm really looking forward to building this kit. Definitely has a great look to it. There seems to be a lot of discussion on enlarging the stab area to help with the snap tendencies. Haven't decided yet if thats what i'll do. Big question at this point is either my Magnum 61 or my 1.08 with atuned pipe on it. Oh well decisions decisions.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:04 AM
s. wallace
My Feedback: (24)

The Magnum (or any brand) .61 will not be enough power.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:27 AM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fliboy,

I really don't think that enlarging the stab is going to change any of the slow speed snap charactoristics. The devil here is the wing airfoil. Modeltech made a similar sized Cap 21 with the thick wing of a Kaos which had none of the "habits" of the GP Cap. Honestly, I wouldn't change a thing. All you really need to do is be mindful that you are flying a high performance airframe and that there are certain things you do not do... such as fly slow and turn..... If you want to reduce the snap tendancy, the easiest way is to just reduce the amount of elevator throw. This was the fix for the Sig Cobra which would snap out of a loop very quickly. BTW... The plane needs at least a 1.2 four stroke or a .90-1.2 2 stroke. With a .60... the plane is way too underpowered.

Good Luck,
Dan
Old 09-06-2005, 06:46 AM
geno472

This is my favorite airplane along with the Cap 232. I have built three of the Great Planes 72" Cap 21's (one kit and two from scratch) and I have built two of the 40 size (one kit and one scratch) and all five are still flying, however two of them are with other owners. If you build the airplane light, taking steps to lighten the airframe where possible these airplanes truly perform. I powered all of my 72" models with OS 91 FX's and was very happy with the performance. The 1.08 should work well and will probably give you unlimited vertical performance. The .61 will fly the airplane very scale like, but if the airframe turns out heavy the .61 will struggle. Get a fiberglass cowl from fiberglass specialties to save weight and drill holes is everything. When I scratch built my airplanes I also used thinner wood everywhere I could. These aircraft had a bad reputation when they were around and it was mostly undeserved. The gentleman above had a very good point, alot of pilots who are new to aerobatic scale aircraft think you can just chop the throttle and glide in for a landing which we all know is not the case. These aircraft are no exception, if you try to land without carrying a little speed the aircraft will stall and will drop a wing and it will happen when you are very close to the ground and will most likely result in heavy damage to the airplane. Most people believe this is a design flaw, but it is not. The airplane flies just the way it was intended to and it flies very close to the way the full scale aircraft does. Do you ever see full scale aerbatic pilots chop the throttle and glide in for a landing? I see alot of modelers who blame an aircraft for having bad flying habits, when in most cases the pilot is the one who has the bad habits or is trying to do something with the airplane for which it was never designed. IMHO if Great Planes would re-release the kits just about all of the Cap lovers out there would buy one. If you treat the airplane with the respect it demands, then you will enjoy the results. Let me know how yours turns out.

Gene
Old 09-06-2005, 06:54 AM
mrfliboy

Sounds like stock configuration with lightening everywhere I can. My 1.08 with its tuned pipe and some fuse mods, stick it underneath might be the ticket. When I get the plans I'll look closely at the possibilities with the tuned pipe. Thanks to all again. Jon
Old 08-29-2023, 07:46 PM
Nitroflightro

Default Great Planes Cap 21 plans

Originally Posted by geno472
This is my favorite airplane along with the Cap 232. I have built three of the Great Planes 72" Cap 21's (one kit and two from scratch) and I have built two of the 40 size (one kit and one scratch) and all five are still flying, however two of them are with other owners. If you build the airplane light, taking steps to lighten the airframe where possible these airplanes truly perform. I powered all of my 72" models with OS 91 FX's and was very happy with the performance. The 1.08 should work well and will probably give you unlimited vertical performance. The .61 will fly the airplane very scale like, but if the airframe turns out heavy the .61 will struggle. Get a fiberglass cowl from fiberglass specialties to save weight and drill holes is everything. When I scratch built my airplanes I also used thinner wood everywhere I could. These aircraft had a bad reputation when they were around and it was mostly undeserved. The gentleman above had a very good point, alot of pilots who are new to aerobatic scale aircraft think you can just chop the throttle and glide in for a landing which we all know is not the case. These aircraft are no exception, if you try to land without carrying a little speed the aircraft will stall and will drop a wing and it will happen when you are very close to the ground and will most likely result in heavy damage to the airplane. Most people believe this is a design flaw, but it is not. The airplane flies just the way it was intended to and it flies very close to the way the full scale aircraft does. Do you ever see full scale aerbatic pilots chop the throttle and glide in for a landing? I see alot of modelers who blame an aircraft for having bad flying habits, when in most cases the pilot is the one who has the bad habits or is trying to do something with the airplane for which it was never designed. IMHO if Great Planes would re-release the kits just about all of the Cap lovers out there would buy one. If you treat the airplane with the respect it demands, then you will enjoy the results. Let me know how yours turns out.

Gene
Hello sir! Is there any chance you still have a set of plans for this still around?
Old 08-31-2023, 08:12 PM
Nitroflightro

Hello sir! Did you ever find plans?
Old 08-31-2023, 08:14 PM
Nitroflightro

Hello sir! Any chance you still have those Cap 21 plans and kits?
Old 10-25-2023, 12:37 PM
flying88

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Still looking? i have a brand new kit untouched.