Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

GP Tracer, .40 sized

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

GP Tracer, .40 sized

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2002, 01:26 PM
Uncle Dad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Tracer, .40 sized

I just purchased one of these kits and was looking for opinions/experiences on construction/flying this plane.

Thanks ahead of time for the help!

Uncle Dad
Old 11-04-2002, 10:53 PM
Uncle Dad

Default Gee...I'm a bit worried here..,

If no one has had much, if any, experience with this kit...then it is a bit 'unproven' to me. IMO, it looks like it would have some merit as built, but I'm a bit reluctant to build it if it is a potential 'junker'...a little 'feedback' would MOST definitely be appreciated.

Someone, please, step up to the plate here if you have had experience with this kit.

Your time is MOST valued, at least to me.

Uncle Dad
Old 11-17-2002, 01:24 AM
Uncle Dad

Default Gee...this kit must be one lame Mo-Fo

Geez, NOBODY has built/flown one of these? Come on now, there HAS to be someone out there who has some experience with this kit.

ANY advice/help would be appreciated.

Uncle Dad
Old 11-18-2002, 05:03 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have built this kit. It is as easy as pie. No mods needed, just build it as per the plans and you will have a very nice plane. I have retracts in mine and it's a blast!
Old 11-18-2002, 06:04 PM
ramcharger

I have not built this kit but they are out there. We have one at our field and guy is a normal ARF buyer however he made a good effort at this because of its resemblence to the older style pattern planes. The only thing I would suggest is spend some time fitting the cowl. His cowl was poorly fitted, it didnt line up with the spinner, and it looked bad. He had a inverted OS 46FX in the plane, and I was surprised how well this engine idles when inverted. Plane would look good with retracts but his didn't have them.
Old 11-18-2002, 06:55 PM
JimTrainor

I am going to build one over the winter. It's my intro to pattern planes.

I will use retracts. I'm thinking I'll mount the engine on its side, or at ~45 degree down so that I can get the muffler out the bottom..... that plan may change when I take a careful look at it.... it may intrude into the tank compartment too much. I want to leave open the option of retro fitting a tuned pipe, hence my desire to get the muffler out the bottom.

And... to feed my insaitable desire to complicate matters, I'm going to experiment with a tank over (or nearly over) the c.g.... but I'll build it so that I use the conventional location as well. It looks like you can squeeze a round Sulivan 10 oz tank under the canopy. That will put it just ahead of the CG.

I fully expect to have a blast....

Did you read the reviews on GP's web site?
Old 11-19-2002, 03:39 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uncle Dad,
I sent you an email with some comments. Check your RCU "inhouse" emails for it?
Old 11-23-2002, 04:31 AM
JetAwithPrist

I am just finishing building a tracer with a .46fx and retracts. It was an easy plane to put together however, the fit on some of the parts on the fuselage was atrocious. It came out nice and straight but i had to do some modifying of pieces to get it that way. For instance, the notches in the fuse top for the bulkheads were not perpendicular to the longitudinal axis and the instuctions dont mention anything about checking. I ended up just whacking off the alignment tabs on a couple of the bulkheads so i could get them straight. I may have just gotten an airplane right before the cutting dies were due for replacement but i wasted a lot of time with all the crooked and wavy fuse pieces. Everything else went together easy, the wheel wells were time consuming also but i guess worth the effort. It came out nice and straight in the end though. I am still just mulling over my covering scheme I've got plenty of white to use, most of a roll of black, a roll of blue, most of a red trim sheet, and red and black trim striping tape, and the decals are red and black. Anyone have any trim ideas? I dont want to spend 3 years on an elaborate trim scheme (I am very slow with covering) I hope to fly it in a month or 2 time permitting.

Oh, i would also recommend fastening the the belly pan temprorarily to the fuse and fitting it before gluing it to the wing. Its a pain in the ass to sand the sides after its glued on. Just my .02