Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

CUB Kit

Old 09-05-2005, 08:48 PM
test dummy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CUB Kit

HAs anyone built the "Great Planes ElectriFly ElectriCUB Kit " I would just like to know if it is easy or hard to build. and if anyone can tell me how it flies thanks and here is were im getting it from,
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1p?&I=LZ1004**
And i was just looking at the parkzone j-3 cub and it looks pretty cool and since im a begginer, ( I have been trying helicopters) I might get this one, but can anyone tell me if it can do any tricks Thanks.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:51 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: CUB Kit

I think that is the same one I built many years ago. It is very under powered with an o5 on 6, 7, 8, cell packs. It is very easy to build, from my point of view. If this is your first kit, it may be a liitle hard but not to bad. If you can read the directions and the plans you won't have much trouble.

The one I built with a modified 05 motor and a 8X4, 5, 6 props was way under powered. If you want a power system that does not cost a whole bunch, run a 12X6 APC "E" prop mounted in a GD600 gear box with the smallest pinion gear, 8 cell 3000 NIMH pack. You should get 15 minute flights. You can always go lipo's and brushless motors to get more flight time and power, but they do cost more money.

It does fly pretty well. I enjoyed flying it.

Dru.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:07 AM
Cub Man
My Feedback: (50)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer the new Cub (with ailerons) over the old one. My Cub ready to fly weighs around 3 pounds and has a Master airscrew 550 motor with a 3.5 to 1 gear on it swinging a 11X8 electric prop using a 7 cell 2100 mah battery. I can get 8 to 10 min flights and love it. It's easy to build and cover.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:00 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

First, in spite of what Tower might say, Cubs do NOT make good beginner planes. They have a few bad habits that create challenges even for some experienced fliers.

Second, before you buy the Tower combo, any combo, look at alternatives. I've run the numbers several times and have found that creative shopping, and the right application of discounts can get better components for the same price. The current discount appears to be around 10%, so breaking up a combo doesn't help as much. However, if you buy the parts when they've got something like $25 off a $150 order, you get a better deal with 2 orders rather than one combo. The other issue with the combos is that they don't necessarily provide the ideal components, nicad batteries versus nimh and motor selection are just 2 examples. If you want a basic 4 channel radio with micro servos, I'd go with this deal: http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/futaba/futj37.html rather than the Tower one.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:00 PM
TeaBagNutSack

Yes i have a Cub, and it is not to hard to build, but takes time. I have 5 planes now and the Cub is the best flyer i have. It is the best plane i have flown yet.
If you think your buying it. The plane is under power by Great planes specs.. Dont go buy the manual. I am using a 550 car motor with a 55amp speed controler and using a 7 cell 3300 mah. Hint Go bigger then a 30 amp speed control. [8D]