Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

TF Gold Edition P51 CG

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

TF Gold Edition P51 CG

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 06:26 PM
samdaman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TF Gold Edition P51 CG

I have a TF GE P-51 Mustang. I did not build the plane and do not have the instruction manual. I have flown it several times. Flies good, lands at Mach1. I did a few things to the plane, changed the prop, fixed the retracts, new fuel tank, and the had to replace the battery. Normal stuff. After changing the battery I thought it a good idea to check the balance. Looked up the manual on the internet and found that the plane should balance at 3 7/8!QUOT! behind the leading edge break. Put it on the CG machine and it was extremely nose heavy. I called the my step-dad, the builder, to ask about the process used to balance the plane. It had been a few years but he couldn't recall any problems. I balanced the plane as per the manual on the internet moving the battery all the way to the back and adding weight. First flight was nasty. !QUOT!Pitchy!QUOT! beyond belief. I moved the CG to 3 5/8!QUOT! and it was another ride on the bucking Mustang.
I'm not flying it again until I get the CG right.

HELP!
Old 09-17-2005, 07:49 PM
Denis49

Default RE: TF Gold Edition P51 CG

The Topflight site has technical data there. Here is the link: [link=http://Technical Data]http://www.top-flite.com/techsupport/technotes.html[/link]
Old 09-17-2005, 07:52 PM
Denis49

Sorry about that link... Here is the proper one.

[link=http://www.top-flite.com/techsupport/technotes.html]Technical Data[/link]
Old 09-17-2005, 07:54 PM
Denis49

And you can get a manual here:

[link=http://www.top-flite.com/manuals/index.html]Manuals[/link]
Old 09-18-2005, 08:04 AM
samdaman

This is the exact place I got the info from when I changed the battery and questioned the CG.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:15 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My friends has the same problem. He ballanced as per the recomendations and crashed on the first flight. After repairing it he tried again with a more forward CG and it was still very snappy and tail heavy. He just wants to get rid of it now.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:27 AM
samdaman

Sorry to hear about your friends plane. Do you know how much he moved the CG for the second flight?
Old 09-19-2005, 09:17 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

According to the instructions that come with the Top Flite Giant Scale Gold Edition P-51 kit, the balance point is 4-9/16" aft of where the "beak" inersects the main length of the leading edge. This is indicated on page 54 of the instruction manual. You can move the balance point 5/16" fore or aft as you desire to get the handling you want. Please use the recommended amounts of control throw as stated on page 53 of the manual. The Top Flite Giant Scale Gold Editon P-51 ARF balances at the same point.

This model has been extensively tested and the balance point range is correct. If a person has control problems when the model's balanced in the recommended area, then either the model's much too heavy, the control throws aren't correct, there's a problem in the radio system, or perhaps the modeler's just not quite ready to fly this type of model.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:59 AM
samdaman

Bax- I'm not flying the Giant Scale P-51. I have the .60 size powered by a YS-120. The plane is not heavy. The control throws are in the recommended range, my Futaba 9CAP radio and PCM receiver are functioning properly. I had several successful flights with the plane before the battery needed to be replaced. This plane is not outside of my abilities to fly. The new battery was a larger one and this is the reason I felt that checking the CG was important. I went from a great flying plane to one that is almost uncontrollable. Where should I set the CG?
Old 09-19-2005, 10:53 AM
jeffk464

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to sound like a smart ass but why dont you put the battery back where it was and take out the weight you added. If it aint broke, dont fix it.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:17 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry, I missed the reference...brain fade, I guess. The 3-7/8" is correct. You measure aft of the point where the leading edge of the wing makes the "break" and angles forward into the "beak" portion. Page 55 in the manual. Control throws are important and are listed on page 55.

The model should not exceed 10 pounds, and will fly very similarly to an Ultra Sport. If you can fly an Ultra Sport, you should have no difficulty with this airplane.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:41 PM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure what he did for the second flight.