Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Ultra Sport + "In Stock"

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Great Planes Ultra Sport + "In Stock"

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2003, 12:02 AM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Great Planes Ultra Sport + "In Stock"

Well I went and done it now, Went to pick up my new JR8103 from the LHS with digital servos going to my US40+ and planned on ordering a Saito 72 for it but just then I heard something calling my name from the engine cabenet, Sitting in the middle of a midst of engines was a YS 63 FZ for $240 HMMMM the saito was going for $209 so I left with a YS today. Man is this Ultra Sport turning out to be my most invested in high end plane I have. Man I got to get this one finished.

Dauntae
Old 04-06-2003, 12:42 AM
Q-Ball
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And you'll love it when your done...Just got back from the field and took my Plus.Flies very well and it's a comfy plane...I really like it.....Have fun....WAlt
Old 04-06-2003, 02:08 AM
David_Moen

Well the final bit is in process! I'm painting the cowl...some would call it done, but I'm having a hard time getting an even look with the Lustrecoat metalic paint. Once more coat should do it. I've got a couple of little pinholes, should I sand before painting it again?

Finally go the radio gear installed. I have the RX and the battery stacked riht behind the fuel tank, ahead of the servos. Even with the gear there, it balances behind the centre of the CG range. I can't remember if we had the cowl on or off when we did the quick and dirty balance check though.

All-up weight with my OS 46FX is 5.225 lbs.

While waiting for paint to dry I fired up the engine, it starts and runs fine inverted. I had the fuse in the plane holder on top of my field box and it almost pulled the whole thing over, I had to make a quick grab. The engine seems to spin alot faster with the APC 10x7 than it did with the MA 11x6 that I had on it when it lived in my Eagle II.

I have set my radio up with dual rates at the reccomended low and high settings. No expo at low and -30% on everything at high. The fellow who is going to test fly for me told me to set up that way for at least the check flight.

My fueling set-up sucks though, I just secured the fill line to the bottom of the firewall and put a plug in it. It's too hard to get to. I have to figure out something else out. How about a fuel dot attached to the cowl with a long enough line so that the cowl can be removed? I don't want to mount anything to the F/W up high that will mean cutting a slot in the cowl to slide over it

As soon as I get the cowl done, I'll post some pics.

BTW, if I do sand some of the cowl before I put on another coat, how do I get the dust of of it before I paint, is a wipe with a cloth OK? I already know that wiping it with acetone is a bad idea (the first attempt was not as good anyway )
Old 04-06-2003, 05:56 AM
David_Moen

Default It's done!!!

Well finally it's done!

The colour match on the cowl wasn't as good as I hoped it would be, but it is pretty close, and it will probably change as it dries. These shots were taken about 30 minutes after the last coat went on. I need to put a little white paint on the lower rear corners of the cowl to carry the line through from the covering, but it's not needed for tomorrow! With the cowl on, the CG is right at 4 9/16" from the leading edge, which is the center of the CG range in the manual. With fuel it will be forward of this, so I feel OK about it for test flights.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	68502_15826.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	21041  
Old 04-06-2003, 05:59 AM
David_Moen

Default Top Rear

I like this view, looks "patternish".

Name:	68503_15826.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	21042  
Old 04-06-2003, 06:01 AM
David_Moen

Default Me and my co-pilot

Setting up the radio....see this one Aaron? Auto-crash....and this one? Auto-crash with a twist...

Name:	68504_15826.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	21043  
Old 04-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Q-Ball

Default Nice

Looks like a mitey fine job Dave.Turned out nicely and I'll bet that your pleased with it in the air too..

Talkin' bout the paint.I've never seen a Lustre Coat paint that matched exactly.Just don't happen..There's always a slight difference but still looks good. I guess I just lucked out on this gold that I covered mine with.I went around the house looking for gold spray of my wifes that shes used with her stuff and just happended to run across a half a can that match perfect and was fuel proof on top of that.Or at least it's fuel proof so far...

When you measured your CG. I take it that you measured 4 9/16 from the leading edge rite up against the fuse,which put mine just behind the main spar.The spar being the only thing on the wing that's straight out I just went out behind the spar to where the balance stand would sit and put it there.I was a little leary because it's the first plane that I've had that didn't balance somwhere on the spar itself.It seemed to work cause it flies nicely...

You and the co-pilot have a ball and have one for me too if you go out today...Wind is bout 30 here.A bit much for me..I like it calm.

Have fun...Walt
Old 04-06-2003, 03:26 PM
SilverEagle2
My Feedback: (9)

Default Great job!!!

David,

Flew mine yesturday and had a rudder servo failier. Was able to get it down without incident. It was interesting how I could still get her down even while the rudder was swinging side to side rapidly. Was an exciting moment, but all is well. I will replace the servo and be back in the air soon.

You will have a great time flying this bird! Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

Jason
Old 04-06-2003, 04:05 PM
David_Moen

Clear blue skies this morning....can't wait to get out there!!!
Old 04-07-2003, 03:10 PM
David_Moen

Urgh!

Real life got in the way of my test flight!

Oh well, that gives me this week to put the final touches on the paint job and install a proper fuel dot on the cowl.
Old 04-07-2003, 04:17 PM
Q-Ball

Default Real Life???

Lost me on that one..Either it started raining or the wind started blowing too hard or you had to run errands or you started your monthly.LOL..Better days are ahead here too...Fixing to rain cats and dogs but I got a couple of mornings in the last few days.Better days are coming Guy......Have fun in the shop....
Old 04-10-2003, 09:03 PM
imdapope

What did you guys use to glue the plastic hinge on the tail wheel into the fuse or the metal part into the rudder. CA? EPOXY?
Old 04-10-2003, 09:08 PM
Mendes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by imdapope
What did you guys use to glue the plastic hinge on the tail wheel into the fuse or the metal part into the rudder. CA? EPOXY?
Although I didn't use the GP tailwheel bracket on this kit, I have used it before.....epoxy is the way to go.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:31 PM
David_Moen

Epoxied mine....of course I haven't flown it yet so I can't say how it will stand up, but that's the advice Rich gave me months ago!

Friday is a holiday so a flying we will go!
Old 04-15-2003, 03:57 AM
imdapope

For anyone still building....

If you extend the retractable landing gear / wheel right up to W2 it will give you 2 inches of clearance with a 14" prop (with the tailwheel on the ground of course).
Old 04-19-2003, 02:12 AM
David_Moen

Default The maiden flight...

Didn't go too well!

I had one of the club veterans test fly my plane today....

He told me that he wanted to start waaaay down at the end of the runway, and while standing directly behind it accelerate away and make a series of short "hops" with the plane only just starting to lift from the ground. I guess the reason for this was so that he could see if it wanted to roll hard one way or the other.

On the first such hop, the plane became airborne quite quickly at about half throttle. With about 3 feet of altitude, the throttle was reduced, and the plane stalled to the left and pancaked. There would have been no damage, but unbeknownst to me, the set screw that holds the left strut in the retract was not secure and with the vibration of the taxi tests and subsequent take-off, had worked itself about halfway out. When the plane "landed" hard on the left wheel the retract broke as only a short portion of the strut remained in it's socket. Had the strut been fully seated in the retract, it would not have failed.

The test pilot said that the plane pulled hard to the left on its own. On the video my wife took, it appears that the plane was indeed flying straight ahead, nose up with very little airspeed when the throttle was cut. A stall was all but unavoidable. Given that the pilot has about 28 years more experience at this than I do, I did not ask why he didn't simply advance the throttle and proceed with a normal takeoff when it became apparent that the plane wanted to be up in the air so bad! I'm pretty positive that even if he did take off, the strut would have either fallen out in the air or the retract would have broken on landing anyway.

Anyway...good thing I had a spare set of retracts! I didn't sweat the damage, fueled the Eagle II back up and forgot my disappointment. I'll have the US40+ ready to go again tomorrow.

I think I might try to test fly the plane myself. This is my second plane, my first tail-dragger and my first low wing. Anyone got any advice for me??
Old 04-19-2003, 02:31 AM
Flyfalcons

Yeah, ditch this so-called 'expert'. Making short hops is just asking for trouble, and he proved it with your new pride and joy. You have much more time to correct anything when you are up high. Remember, it's an airplane and will fly like one as long as you built it relavitely straight. You can't collide with the sky, but trying to trim out a plane while doing 3 foot hops isn't going to accomplish anything positive. Sorry to hear that this bozo ruined your first flight. See if someone experienced will take it up for a real flight.
Old 04-19-2003, 03:03 AM
IronCross

Man, that is a crazy way to test a new plane IMHO. Get some altitude quick and then trim everything out where it is safe. Never heard of touch and goes that early in the program.
Old 04-19-2003, 05:47 AM
SheldonYoung

You learn fast that the guy who has been in the hobby the longest might not be any good at it. I say as long as you have mastered your trainer have one or two other people look the plane over, make sure it's on low rates and go fly it yourself.

The big benefit is that if it gets wrecked at least you know it's your own fault. I learned that one the hard way.
Old 04-19-2003, 12:39 PM
Q-Ball

Default David

Hey,
Don't sweat the small stuff.
You know the pix of the Gold U/S with the red trim?? It no longer exist..History..
I had flown it a bit and was pretty comfy with it so decided to get a little crazy with it.Got way up there,chopped the throttle,gave it full rite aileron.Gosh it was spining real well,and never stopped spinning.The ground stopped it in a heart beat. I gave it up with a little power to bring it out but it didn't respond and ended up with pieces everywhere...Oh,well,they say stuff happens....Being that it was my fault,I got over it quickly and went back to the building board...I've never liked those spads but think I'll give it a shot.
Old 04-19-2003, 01:51 PM
David_Moen

Ouch Q-ball!

Sorry to hear that your plane is dead! How many flights did you get on it?
Old 04-20-2003, 05:10 PM
Mendes

Default Re: The maiden flight...

Originally posted by David_Moen
Didn't go too well!

I had one of the club veterans test fly my plane today....

He told me that he wanted to start waaaay down at the end of the runway, and while standing directly behind it accelerate away and make a series of short "hops" with the plane only just starting to lift from the ground. I guess the reason for this was so that he could see if it wanted to roll hard one way or the other.

On the first such hop, the plane became airborne quite quickly at about half throttle. With about 3 feet of altitude, the throttle was reduced, and the plane stalled to the left and pancaked. There would have been no damage, but unbeknownst to me, the set screw that holds the left strut in the retract was not secure and with the vibration of the taxi tests and subsequent take-off, had worked itself about halfway out. When the plane "landed" hard on the left wheel the retract broke as only a short portion of the strut remained in it's socket. Had the strut been fully seated in the retract, it would not have failed.

The test pilot said that the plane pulled hard to the left on its own. On the video my wife took, it appears that the plane was indeed flying straight ahead, nose up with very little airspeed when the throttle was cut. A stall was all but unavoidable. Given that the pilot has about 28 years more experience at this than I do, I did not ask why he didn't simply advance the throttle and proceed with a normal takeoff when it became apparent that the plane wanted to be up in the air so bad! I'm pretty positive that even if he did take off, the strut would have either fallen out in the air or the retract would have broken on landing anyway.

Anyway...good thing I had a spare set of retracts! I didn't sweat the damage, fueled the Eagle II back up and forgot my disappointment. I'll have the US40+ ready to go again tomorrow.

I think I might try to test fly the plane myself. This is my second plane, my first tail-dragger and my first low wing. Anyone got any advice for me??

The other guys are right, find another test pilot....

I taxi my plane around before the first flight, but short hops?!?!? Who is this guy!?

You can fly this plane, takeoff at 3/4 throttle and get the thing in the air. Then you will be able to trim it easily.

Good luck! The plane looks great!
Old 04-20-2003, 06:20 PM
David_Moen

Well, I'm off for maiden flight #2....had some time to take care of a few of the "details" that I was going to look after when I could anyway...feel much more confident this time out!
Old 04-21-2003, 04:00 AM
David_Moen

Default Wooo Hoooo!

It flies! It flies!

It flies great as a matter of fact! Had a long chat with my test pilot ....discussed his methodology and agreed that he should try the the first flight again. If you ever say this guy fly, or any of his airplanes (biggest weighs 72 lbs) you'd understand why I would want him on the sticks. Today he was there with his Byron Pitts, he can damn hear fly the wings on the thing....but I digress...

Taxied straight out of the pits and rolled on the throttle and it was off. two clicks of down trim and about 10 of right (must look into that tomorrow) and it was flying straight and true. A few circuits and stall tests later in for a perfect 3 point landing. I've seen him do that time and time again on airplanes he's never seen before in his life. My turn...fuel it up, make a couple of test passes on the runway to get used to the ground manners and we're off! Even on low rates, the responsiveness of this airplane is incredible (I'm stepping up from an Eagle II remember). Rolls are straight ahead, inverted flight is actually enjoyable, only a little down elevator required. To me snaps seem downright violent. Not enough rudder on low rates to hold knife edge at moderate speeds, but enough for stall turns that have the plane turning around as if the nose cone was pinned to something in the sky. Gear up, full bore low speeds are amazing! Finished up with vertical point rolls they get me giggling! The ol' fellas at the field were looking at me a bit funny, they don't know that I was doing an hour a day on the Cap 232 in G2 all winter long!

I have a bit of covering to stick down, some of my turtle deck bubbled a bit in the sun, but I had never Ironed it down firmly, just got it good and stuck down along the sides and heat gunned.

All and all I don't think I could be happier, landings are a bit faster than I am used to, but this plane seems to be less sensitive to wind. One of my take-offs was a bit sketchy as I am new to the whole tail-dragger thing, but all is good in Dave-land tonight! Just got to convince the better half that I need to go flying again tomorrow!
Old 04-21-2003, 04:17 AM
Flyfalcons

Congrats! Got any pics?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.