Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Midwest Lil Cap Engine Choice

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Midwest Lil Cap Engine Choice

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 04:54 PM
Roger44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Midwest Lil Cap Engine Choice

I'm building a midwest Lil Cap and trying to decide on an engine. Has anyone out there successfully installed a gasoline 2 stroke engine in this plane? I'm looking for good performance, fuel economy (unleaded gasoline being much cheaper than nitro). I'm new to the gas engine scene, but very curious If I can get one to fit without totally overstressing the airframe. I'm open to hearing anyones recommedations. Thanks.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:43 PM
lrb75
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Midwest Lil Cap Engine Choice

The only thing that might fit is a RCS 140. Mine flew really well on a YS91AC It flew not so great on a Saito 91 and a ST90. If you mount the RCS 140 inverted it would at least fit. If you side mount it the spark plug cap will really stick out. Also consider cutting a new firewall out of birch ply instead of the two pieces of lite ply that Midwest gives you. All considered I think you would be much better off with getting a use YS91AC or a new YS110FZ. The YS motors weigh almost one pound less and you want the plane to be light. Also the RCS is 395 + 75 for the muffler a new YS 110 is 330. That is over 5 gallons of YS 20/20 fuel. I picked up two slightly used YS91's from the big auction site for $160 each. The price difference there will keep you in glow fuel for awhile. I wish I still had mine but dumb thumbs flew it through a tree. At least I saved the electronics and the motor.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:28 PM
Roger44

Default RE: Midwest Lil Cap Engine Choice

Thanks for the info. Another engine I was looking at was the Saito 100, but I'll check out the YS91AC also. I appreciate the tip on the firewall, the one they provide in the kit does seem a little too flimsy. Too bad about the Cap vs Tree.