Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Corsair Cowl help?

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Corsair Cowl help?

Old 10-09-2005, 06:07 PM
tljr100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corsair Cowl help?

I need to get help assembeling the cowl and ring. My original slowly began to develop cracks. I screwed it to the ring. Over time this was not very effective. I have a new cowl and need suggestions on how to mount the cowl to the cowl ring that will be screwed to the firewall. All help appreciated.

Tony
Old 10-09-2005, 06:36 PM
sbd-5
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Corsair Cowl help?

if not screws then glue or silicone
Old 10-09-2005, 07:51 PM
Lightfoot
My Feedback: (1)

What kit is this?
Old 10-10-2005, 09:35 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If this is like the Top Flite Corsair kit, I beleive the cowl is glued to the ring with thin CA. As for points where screws are used to install the cowl, always get some scrap and make the mounting point a bit stronger by gluing the scrap on where the screw goes in. You can also add strenght to it with carbon fiber and I have found this works well. Good Luck, Dave
Old 10-11-2005, 07:02 PM
tljr100

The kit is Top Flite 1/7 scale.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:27 AM
RC flyer 2

Tony,

I have this same model. When I built this model I did what you did. I decided it would be easier to mount the cowl ring to the firewall, as instructed in the plans. However, I also thought it would be better to screw the actual cowl to the ring. I used four screws, see the picture. After flying this for some time, I noticed stress cracks around the holes, and in my case, I also opened up holes in the cowl ring for fueling and pumping up my retracts. I added fiberglass to the inside of the cowl, but it really didn't hold up. Another reason I did this was due to installing the "dummy engine" which also makes getting to the ring mounting screws more difficult.

At this time, I have purchased another cowl and ring, and glued them together with thin CA. I mounted the fueling and retract points into the fuse, and I even installed the dummy engine back into the new cowl and ring. I had to open up holes in the dummy engine to get to the mounting screws, it is a pain, but works. You can purchase a fiberglass cowl from fiberglass specialities, but they don't sell the cowl ring.

Here are a few pictures of my setup prior to my changes, which included moving to a ST90 from a ST61.