Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Cub .46 sized scale

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Cub .46 sized scale

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 04:42 PM
adr_ian64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cub .46 sized scale

Hello, I'm looking for a J-3 Cub .46 sized scale kit. I've seen some awful looking ones at the field but I seem this on a while back that looked really nice, If anyone knows of any really nice Cub kit please post thanks
Old 10-10-2005, 05:02 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Cub .46 sized scale

I feel the best of the best is Sig's 1/5 scale kit. Very scale lines, laser cut parts, will fly on a .46 2-stroke, but deserves a .56 to .65 4-stroke. It has a 2-piece wing for easy transport (84.5 inch total span), the struts are functional, comes with a pull-pull setup for the rudder. The landing gear is a solder-it-yourself wire type that has some spring action, but Robart makes a beautiful scale gear for it.

Goldberg and Great Planes also makes Cub kits in that size range, but not quite as nice as the Sig, IMO. Sells for about $140. I built one about two years ago, it was the second kit and first scale model I'd ever built. It was straightforward, the instructions and plans are very clear, and it is a very "modifyable" kit, if you want to change thing to add details. I covered mine in Koverall/dope and put a .65 Saito in it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70568.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	337226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24821.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	337227   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16893.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	337228  
Old 10-10-2005, 06:31 PM
nickj

I agree, excellent kit.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:28 PM
Dr1Driver

I also agree. You can't beat the Sig Cub.

Dr. 1
Old 10-11-2005, 06:03 PM
adr_ian64

wow.... Thats the one(but with yellow trim). That is such a sweet airplane. tell me more about the kit. How easy is it to put together? I only have basic tools and glue to work with. I got 30 min epoxy and thick medium and thin CA. I'm sure I can build it good though. This will also be my first kit. I just love the concept of building a plane then flying it not like thoughs ARF's that you just go to the store and fly, plus you dont have to worry about broken parts or bubbled covering durring transport[8D]

How does the kit fly? from what I watched at the field, It looks pretty good.

I'll probably get the Robart landing gear and also does anyone make a cockpit for this kit?

Thanks all for the help, Looks like It'll be a fun winter after all

OH, Has anyone had any experience with the Sig Clipped Wing Cub 1/6-Scale kit? looks like a bit smaller plane.
Thanks
Old 10-11-2005, 06:46 PM
khodges

tell me more about the kit. How easy is it to put together? I only have basic tools and glue to work with. I got 30 min epoxy and thick medium and thin CA. I'm sure I can build it good though. This will also be my first kit.
How does the kit fly? from what I watched at the field, It looks pretty good.

I'll probably get the Robart landing gear and also does anyone make a cockpit for this kit?

Thanks all for the help, Looks like It'll be a fun winter after all
The balsa is all high quality. All the parts are laser cut, and still in the sheet; there is a lot of sticks, plenty of wood left over after the build. Lots of lite ply, hardware package is very good, both in quantity and quality.

The plans are excellent, and the kit is designed to be built on the plans. The instruction manual is very clear, has lots of photos. You can build the plane with a full span or clipped wing, the plans and instructions show both options.
Easy is all relative; if you've done repairs, you should be able to build this plane. It is straightforward, just take your time and be as precise as possible with your cuts. A lot of the cabin and fuse structure will go together without glue, it fits so well; the instructions even recommend this at times, to assemble it dry, square it up and pin it securely, then hit the major joints with Ca, and then go back and get everything else.

The cabin is very roomy, and the door and window on the right are functional-- they have to be, because that is your access to the radio and servos. The wings have aluminum joiner tubes, so they come off in halves and make for easy transport. The struts are fully functional and the plane CANNOT be flown without them. Each strut attaches to its wing with four 4-40 screws, there is one 8-32 in each wing root, and a 6-32 attaches the strut end to its bracket at the bottom of the fuselage. All the screws fit into blind nuts.

There is a servo tray in the rear of the cabin for the throttle, rudder, and elevator servo, and each aileron has its own servo, which is hidden in the wing and is mounted to an access hatch.

The cowl is fiberglass, nicely made, but I'd recommend adding a layer of fiberglass to the inside for more strength, especially at the chin, because you WILL nose over from time to time. DuBro make a great set of Cub wheels in 1/5 scale, and of course there is the scale gear, two kinds available that I know of, Robart, and William Wallace, although I'm not sure of the availablity of his. There's about $15 difference between the two, I have both and like the Wallace better for scale, but the Robart I believe will ultimately last longer. I should do a photo comparison of the two and post them. Look for it in the Scale forum soon.

Have you covered a plane before? Koverall and dope I think makes the best scale -appearing skin, but my second choice would be Solartex, and third would be 21st Century fabric.

How does it fly? Like a Cub!!!!. It's not a hands-off flying plane, but it goes where you point it, has few really bad manners. It takes very little power to fly it, and it will float forever. The Sig booklet says it should come out around 7 pounds, mine is ten due to the mods, and the scale gear will add weight. As any tail dragger, it needs right rudder on take-off to stay straight down the runway, and has a fair amount of adverse yaw, which can be minimized by putting in aileron differential in the throws (ailerons should have more UP travel than DOWN). It is NOT a trainer, but with your flying experience, and someone to give you a hand, it should pose no problems to learn to fly it, and once you are flying it well, it will make you a better pilot all around, because you will learn to use ALL the controls, especially the rudder.

GOOD LUCK!!
Old 10-11-2005, 06:59 PM
nickj

I believe this is Sig's most recent kit, employing all the latest CAD design and laser cutting technology, making it very easy to assemble. The 1/6 scale, OTOH, is a very old kit, employing a lot of builder know-how. They supply the wood, but you have to cut out most of the parts yourself. It's a fun kit for the experienced builder.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:47 PM
khodges

Here's a few pictures that are generic to the kit, showing door detail and the instrument panel, which is included with the kit
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93833.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	337837   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80683.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	337838   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69291.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	57.6 KB